Why Dual Sports are NOT Cool

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by dredman, May 12, 2020.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buell was a sad story in their history.
    BobcatSig and dredman like this.
  2. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    When I started riding there were not many folks on bikes, I guess I stood out? I got laid a lot :)
    skibum69 likes this.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    the green mohawk impressed the girls:lol3
    dredman likes this.
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    that thing even worked on ME dude! I am currently questioning my sexuality.....AND my life!
    norseXL and skibum69 like this.
  5. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Misery loves company.
    dredman likes this.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Understandable
    dredman likes this.
  7. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode my uncool dual sport yesterday in the desert heat.
    Roads are empty.
    No bikinis girls cruising the sidewalk.

Maybe today I'll break out the Harley FXD and see if my luck changes.
    dredman likes this.
  8. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

All motorcycles are Adventure motorcycles, only the rider can make it a dual, or better still, a multi sport motorcycle.
    dredman and Snowbird like this.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that's not quite correct. That's like saying all facial tissues are Kleenex. Fact is Kleenex facial tissue is the only Kleenex, in that case it is actual trademark. As for Adventure, that has been defined as a genre by the industry now. Same with dual sport, supersport, sport tourer, custom, and tourer. When discussing bikes there are some general genres and that is why the labeling, especially within the industry. No matter what any of us may think, those genres are defined in the industry.

Now you can call any bike anything you want. Sure any bike can help create an adventure, same as any bike can be a rider's custom or cruiser. Same as how a coke in southern states is not just a Coke.
    dredman and SFC_Ren like this.
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    I like that term "multi sport motorcycle" - I tend to ride ALL my bikes in this fashion....some bikes fill the various roles better than others....gonna be thinking about this idea for awhile now.
  11. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Getting rid of those trashy bicycles under the stairs and re doing the driveway makes a huge difference! Nice.
    rd400racer likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Just imagine when I get around to painting the stairs:lol3
    GR8ADV likes this.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    I agree with most of what you said, especially "Sure any bike can help create an adventure". I disagree with the statement above that I highlighted - in that the industry may attempt to define a genre, but manufacturers sure seem to anxious to push out what they designate as ADV bikes? Like you said,"any bike can", but the obvious attempts by some producers to capture market-share by painting road bikes as capable "rough-riders" is a bit concerning. Maybe this is fresh in my mind after dragging a new rider mounted atop a Himalayan yesterday - stock tires were only a small issue.

adventure.jpg
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never said they were right... :-)

I read where some talk about the Himalayan's capabilities off road when I'm looking at them and seeing a 1970s off road bike that is overweight, under suspended, and too little ground clearance in comparison to even the bottom line 140 - 230 cc off roaders. Sorry, just not seeing it. Unless, of course, you want to ride like the 70s having to avoid some more difficult terrain requiring the more modern layout to achieve the tasks. By the way any bike with both a high fender and a low one on the front has to make you wonder... especially if the rider leaves it that way. Back when lot of trials riders have gone to high front fenders if they encounter clay a lot, cutting back the length out front so they can see the front wheel for placement. It was no fun unclogging the front wheel when out playing on the trails.

Interesting part that seems to be coming up are the split in sport models, the twins from Japan are starting to be labeled as sport models while the 600-1000 fours are super sports. The 650 twins are so far different in performance and equipment from the 600 fours.
    dredman likes this.
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am fascinated by the way OEMs market their products, to the point I find it almost funny. I don't laugh because it is sad that yet another generation of new riders will be sucked into the wrong bike by companies with effective image campaigns.

To the riders credit - he handled it like a champ, to the point I made him ride some sections he was unsure about - but like you said, undersprung, overweight, 10-inch clearance. Not a dual sport, not an ADV bike. Despite all that, apparently you can still bash it down some awful roads!
    klaviator likes this.
  16. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think there are numerous factors for determining "cool".

If you watch a lot of TV, cool is having a flat brimmed hat, a girlfriend that only cares about how many bottles of Crystal champagne are in your yacht's fridge, and a Bentley with 24" rims in the garage.

If you like the pirate lifestyle, you might think an 800 lb cruiser is an ideal first bike...the louder the better.

In my rural area, dirt bikes are the thing. All the kids and teenagers want one. A dual sport is just the adult version, useful for actually getting somewhere.

Adventure bikes don't really have a set location where they are considered cool, because those who use them for what they were designed for are constantly on the move, and possibly the only one in the village riding one.
    klaviator and dredman like this.
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this a new way to garner more views on Youtube? I'm glad I didn't watch it, or read past that post.

:spam
  18. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good video on why Harley is in trouble:
    BobcatSig and dredman like this.
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    Well you got me there - indeed I do want folks to watch my videos....exactly why I make them. The question now becomes: if you were not interested enough in the topic to watch the video, WTH would you spend the effort attempting to engage in the discussion? My guess is you DID watch it, could not really form any decent argument against my ideas, so you took the weak and ignorant way out - AD HOMINEM - Now who is REALLY the spammer here? Kinda like spitting on someone from a moving car - what a dick!
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    Scathing.... I love F9