Why german engineers should have lessons from Japan

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Enduro10, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    I'm with Ken.

Engineers designed the engine to go 20K kms before the first valve check and to go 40K kms before a spark plug change. If you decide on your own to do unrequired maintenance then suck it up.The Customer profile on a BMW dictates everything. If making it more attractive helps sales, money talks. If it doesn't sell, it's axed. Call it Natural Selection.
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it is BS. A valve check on my TDM took 5 hours and included removing the radiator.

I don't care what type of bike it is, it seems like there is always a part, nut or bolt that is almost impossible to reach. Like most modern bikes, there is a lot of hoses and wires. BMW likes to use the shortest ones and then cinch them down in impossible to reach places.
  3. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The three yamahas I owned all impressed me with how logical and accessible everything was. Same size bolts, toolless when possible...the KtM dirtbike also was super easy.

Oddly the KLR was a PITA. Needed two different size sockets just to get the seat off because of all the panels.

The G650GS oil change is a crime. Missing wet sump motors....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll get over the spark plug changes. Once you've had to replace the battery a few times, change the clutch, replace the stator, replace the ABS pump, completely strip a front end, remove a swingarm, replace the fuel pump, the spark plug thing will be one of those life lessons you look back on and say "Turns out it wasn't that bad"

Smile. It could be worse. I'm not sure how...but I'm sure it could be.

I actually like having the Touratech tank on mine now. 4 bolts, 2 quick disconnect hoses....sorted. Which is just as well. It's happened enough times that I wore out the allen head screws.
  5. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, after reading all these posts about "how hard it is", I thought, "maybe I remembered it wrong..."

So, on Sunday afternoon, there was car racing on the TV (V8Supercars) in the shed, which kept taking my attention, and I was drinking beer (only 2, ask my wife:D) ....and I had my 4 yo "helper" stealing my tools to "work" on his tredley...but it took me less than 30 mins to remove the plugs, reinstall, and put it back together.

By the way, those iridiums are still looking beautiful.

So, I figure you guys are stoned :)

How much easier do you want it to be? Yup, its not as easy as the exposed plug on the RM80...but this bike isnt a two stroke that needs the plug changed every 15 minutes.

Disclaimer:
    1. I used an 18v drill with appropriate bits and extensions to remove and replace screws.
    2. To the best of my knowledge 4 (uhumm, I mean only "2" Carlton Draughts") does not constitute a performance enhancing substance.:freaky
  6. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    In that instant any discount you may have counted on was lost. Dealers make no money from customers who do their own work.
  7. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't ask that question until after the price is set.
    However, the alternative is to simply ask "Please write down what you are going to charge me for the following..."
  8. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    Must say airheads do have a lot going for them (unless you have to do something electrical in the headlight shroud).
  9. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I put my Irridiums in at the 10,000km mark. Now at 70,000 and haven't looked at them once.

Carlton Draught......whoa....and you reckon everyone else is stoned? You know they make proper beer now, don't you?
  10. SubAtomicGenius

SubAtomicGenius Moto Villian

Oddometer:
    Lol as long as the beer is cold and wet and more than 5‰ (hot and wet for everything else)
  11. Hamish71

Oddometer:
    I know..i know....but I tell you, like all beers, the closer you are to the brewery, the better it tastes. And fresh from the tap at a local in Melbourne, this stuff is gold:)
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother worked for them for a while. Switched from Tooheys, where he was apprentice of the year every year of his apprenticeship.

In those days they got vouchers that could be redeemed for cheap cartons of beer. We used to have a pile of beer cartons about twice the size of the fridge stacked in the kitchen.

He switched to CUB and he couldn't give the stuff away. I do like their Black beer though.

Being an ex grunt, I did drink enough VB to kill a normal man. Probably why I can't stand the stuff now.
  13. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:

Do you really think that all the engineers and design staff are German? Isn't the f800 motor Austrian made by Rotax. Don't you realize that large firms hire globally?
  14. Hamish71

Oddometer:
    It has to be bloody hot, the beer needs to be bloody cold, and I need to be bloody thirsty to drink that stuff....(VB) but in those circumstances, it goes alright :)

Your not going to tell me that you are a card carrying Zierholzt, Bentspoke, or Tortured gum drinker are you!

Actually, I dont mind that Zierholtz place.
  15. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife works at UC. They have Zeirholtz right there. I like their Stout. I like their Porter. Actually....I think I've liked every beer they make.

They also do a proper foot long Kransky roll with sauerkraut and German mustard. Oh baby.

The wife uses it like a day care and just drops me off and picks me up after work.