Why I am ditching my TENT when moto-camping

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 3, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I decided to pull the plug on the tent after shopping for a new one, and deciding MOST of my camping is in the woods, on uneven, rocky, muddy spots that are PERFECT spots for everything except dropping a thin, nylon container on. So I pulled the plug and ordered some more winter gear for my alternative. Below are my thoughts on WHY I pulled the plug, and why you should consider doing the same.

2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time

Nice bike
  3. dredman

Oddometer:
    This bike has taken me to some amazing places, and the routes I failed were not because of the bike. :D
    I love my X !!
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what are you doing instead?

Charles.
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nice job with the vid. I hammock and tent camp depending on the circumstance.. Several of your concerns would be negated with a better/different tent though.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    ahh ... you did not watch the video?
    Maggot12 likes this.
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    I assumed there would be some well thought-out rigs, but I also assumed awesome engineering would cost me $600 or more?
    Is there a tent that does not require me to crawl around on the ground like a rodent? :lol3
  8. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    what do ya do if there are no suitable trees around?
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watched the vid but there was no solution. Okay, hammock. Which one? How can it be as adaptable as a tent?

Charles.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Redverz.... and as it's being erected the inner tent stays inside the fly. 15lbs though.

Also, if I'm taking a smaller backpack tent I also take a hammock tarp. I hang the tarp first and then set up the tent.

There's really no best or one solution for this. I also take a credit card and have hotels as an option when I just want to say fuck-it.

Bikerboy, Moto Jimmy and tennyis like this.
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
    My bad Charles, I am a small-bites kinda guy... slow learner.... you know? Been using tents for 40 years, been trying hammocks for 6-7 years. There are some downsides to hammocks, but I think they can be adapted to 90% of the camping I do (I camp in the desert on occasion) so I am gonna go hardcore-hammock and find the hard-limits, as I do not want to be caught with my pants down, so to speak. This is a journey, so I invite you to join me, I will try to be as honest as I can - camping tonight in 37' degrees, shooting video over the next couple of days. Please, ask more questions, I need to know what you are curious about.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:

Totally agree with options and credit/debit cards - I love a hot shower when it is cold and rainy!!
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have used my tarp as a tent a few times, it makes an awesome tent in a pinch. If you are in the desert you will need to be flexible.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  14. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno, the tent/hammock battle is something that’s been discussed a lot. Each have pros/cons.

I’m in my mid 50s also, and sleep better in my hammock, but have to carry an under quilt (if below say 60), top quilt, and a large(r) tarp/rain fly... it adds up quick. I cannot imagine doing it in the winter. Who am I kidding, I won’t ride or camp in winter! With the tent, I’m carrying sleeping bag, air mattress, and maybe a tarp. Then there is the idea of finding a place to hang. I can setup a tent almost anywhere, but it does take longer.

I do agree, I can setup in the rain in minutes and my hammock stays dry, using the tree savers, snake skin and the stock rain fly, but if I wanna dry place, I need the large tarp added to my setup.

Have fun on your adventure, I too like your X, and wish I could find one close by, as I’d buy it.
    Motor7 likes this.
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can usually ride my over weight street bike right up to where I pitch my tent. So I’m thinking the exact opposite - mini pop-up trailer. It’s just a huge investment to see if I like it.
    kwthom likes this.
  16. dredman

Oddometer:
    I guess we must be camping in different spots? I tend to ride in the mountains, or maybe that is where I wind up spending the night? Not a lot of meadows and golf courses where I camp? Do you have any ride reports? Maybe I am doing it wrong? :1drink
  17. dredman

Oddometer:

I definitely want to see your ride reports, as that is EXACTLY what I want to do, roll up to my camp spot, have my butler roll up with my beer and a warm towel...
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I usually get my own beer but I camp mostly at state & national parks that were designed for mom, dad & the kids to roll up in their country squire wagon.
    image.jpeg
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    I was thinking as much, but I LOATHE campgrounds, loud screaming kids, barking dogs, and bad country music on boom boxes....reminds me of campgrounds every single time...but don't let me stop you...I am sure I am missing the lovely essence that you have found there? :photog
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spring & fall mostly empty, no kids, just retirees & their generators to ruin the peace & quiet.