Why I am ditching my TENT when moto-camping

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 3, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    Like this?

[​IMG]
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup
  3. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    None of your reasons are that convincing to convert to hammock from tent. If you camp among the forests, might be fine, but I live and camp in desert settings where a hammock literally could not be used. My tub 2 man sets up anywhere. Your hammock set up allows cold air/wind chill to affect your sleeping comfort, no thank you.

I'll stick with the 5 minutes to set up the tent, even in the rain before I ever consider shelter that leaves wind chill potential.
    Tsotsie likes this.
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    I will try to convince the 'non-desert campers' in my next video - more info about convection in a hammock and how to eliminate it.
  5. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grew up in the white mountains of NH camping as a boy scout. Spent mucho time camping in Vt. in the winter with my grandad and his scout troop. Plenty of trees to tie to in those days, we still used tents in scouts not hammocks. Try camping in -20F windchill in 5 feet of snow using a hammock, sounds like a bad idea based on my years of winter camping in forests.

I'll stick with the tent/s. I can be assured when I travel, there's a place my tub will set up in 5 minutes whether it's in the Superstition mtns of Az or the tundra in Ak. and everything in between. Last thing I want is to be looking for any length of time for a place to hang a hammock. By the time I've found a place that's suitable, [ if that's even possible ] I'd have had the tent set up and relaxing in a closed environment where the elements are not going to be a PITA.
    joe a likes this.
  6. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Amphib and Maggot12 like this.
  7. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    10-13 #'s? No thanks, that's more weight than my sleeping pad, bag, tent combined. And yes, what makes you believe a tent couldn't be set up on the incline? Might not be the best place, but it's doable. I'm not one that worries too much about total kit, per se, but damned if I'd add another 5-6 pounds for the bag and pad to that 10-13#'s. YHGTBSM
  8. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    really, you'll set up your tent on that incline and spend the night .. sure you will. :fpalm
    Amphib and Maggot12 like this.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    How many threads have we got going here...

You can tell us you can set up a tent there sure, but you'll be down on the street in an hr. I'll have my hammock in the trees just behind him.

10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    How many hammock threads have we got going here...

No-ones setting up a tent on that. You'll be down on the street in an hr.

Hey bud, yeah, yeah you with the river running thru your tent... wanna buy a hammock. It's hung up and dry in those trees back there..

[​IMG]
    Amphib likes this.
  11. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I said And yes, what makes you believe a tent couldn't be set up on the incline? Might not be the best place, but it's doable. I didn't say I would, only that one could if need be. Doesn't look like that's the only place to set camp from the picture, there'd be other opportunities near by. I tent with the motor close, didn't see any motor close enough for my camping comfort level all night.

And ya know what Don? There's NO friggin trees there so you wouldn't be hanging your hammock there either. So the point is really moot isn't it?:jack
  12. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    best you go find another thread to play in, your input has become quite a bore :snore
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    A summary of this thread:

Me: You can camp in a hammock anywhere that has trees
    AZQKR: Yeah but you need trees to camp in a hammock
    Me: But other than that, do you have any objections to hammocks?
    AZQKR: You need trees
    Me: Yes, I mentioned that in the video, and several times in this thread already?
    AZQKR: Trees are not everywhere
    Me: Yes, like I said several times before, I ......
    AZQKR: TREES!!!!
    Me: AZQKR are you a BOT?
    AZQKR: I HATE TREES!!!! MUST DESTROY TREES!!!!

Oh, and I made you a new avatar...

[​IMG]
    dobby, Maggot12 and Dan Alexander like this.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you always camp on the side of a mountain, where do you park your bike?
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    The bike is EASY - just lean it up against a tree?
    But not in the desert of course - I understand there are no trees?
    dobby and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  16. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get your panties twisted simply because you made an arrant statement about what I said, that I then quoted so you wouldn't misstate again.

33 seconds into the video "I'm getting damned tired of crawling down and around on the ground". To which your dummy then tries to reinforce the point with some bubba speak. Please, if you're too old or too fat to get into a tent say so, at least that's a legitimate excuse.

1:03 "but it typically take me typically 10-12 minutes to set up". Those tents are up in 5 minutes, if it takes to twice that time, check your waistline, it's getting in the way.

1:18 " the place you put your tent down has to be perfect" No it doesn't, and you either try to convince us otherwise or you're not as seasoned as you claim to be

2:39, I agree with your ghost, all I hear is blah blah blah.:imaposer
  17. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    sorry ASSQZR but I posted pics and a link to the stand that 'doesn't need' trees and the guy in the pic 'was' hanging on the slope so what you're babbling about is moot ... sheesh what a dumbASS
  18. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    oh and all that babble about scenes from a video is a video I didn't make and actually never seen ... you're getting posters mixed up in your 'frothing at the mouth' diatribes ... time for some valium dude ... how about curling up in your tent on a nice steep slope and letting gravity have it's way with you.
  19. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    But that's not the hammock the OP uses, so that free standing hammock is a moot point isn't it? We're discussing HIS hammock vx tent, not yours/;

Yes, I got the posters incorrect, but YOUR hammock isn't what the OP is referencing. Nor would I consider 10-13#'S of hammock when my tent, pad and bag total weighs less.

Enjoy your hammock, I enjoy my tent.
  20. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ditched the tent over 5 years ago for a Exped Scout Combi hammock and rainfly. Just guessing, I have 120 or so nights in it from coast to coast. I learned the hard way that above 6000 feet even in the summer a hammock can be cold. I tried the underquilt and didn't really care for it. Next was a insulated inflatable sleeping pad and a zero degree down bag and now I stay comfortable at elevation. Since I do not hammock or camp in the winter, this set up works perfect for me.

Yes, sometimes you have to get creative, but so far I have always found a place to hang:
    [​IMG]

But y'all do realize that a hammock can be pitched on the ground in a pinch right? Just needs a tarp line overhead which can go from the bike to a stick in the ground. Anyway, I find the hammock gives me a perfect nights sleep every time, so I am never going back to the ground. Hammocks don't work for everybody and neither do tents.
    Amphib and AZQKR like this.