Why I am ditching my TENT when moto-camping

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 3, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    Good points, and I have used my hammock mostly for warmer weather, and supplementing with a ground pad when cooler. Since I am ditching the tent, I had to get the convection issue solved with some confidence since I will now be using it year-round. I ordered a new ground pad and my first underquilt and have been testing them all week. This week it will be in the low 20s, and I should have my answer - results and that film next Sunday!

Attached Files:

Amphib and Motor7 like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

Is the bottom of your hammock waterproof?
  3. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, but my inflatable mattress is, throw that down first, then pitch hammock and rain fly over it. It will work on those rare occasions where there are zero trees.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  4. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some tips......I found that if I blow the inflatable all the way up it's too rigid and is messes with my off centerline sleeping comfort. It also flipped my hammock on one of the first nights I was using it and I woke up upside down hanging in the bug net like a giant moth. For summer I don't inflate at all, for cold nights I only add 50% to it and everything is comfortable, warm and stable. I also picked up one of those Costso down blanket/throws. Packs to the size of a softball and is great down around the feet(mine hang off the pad...36" inseam) for those really cold nights.
  5. dredman

Oddometer:
    I thought about deflating, but cannot imagine anything close to 50% ?? I "believe" your heaviest points are gonna make contact with hammock surface, thus convection happens. From the past I remember shoulders & butt bearing the brunt of the frost. What kind of temps have you camped @50% ? So far, I have done 37' with just an underquilt and it was nice - More testing with the artic blast coming this week, so I might have low 20s ---- BRRRRRR !!
  6. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving for a week long trip next week. I plan on camping the whole way using my hammock. It's a bit of an experimental trip with the cold, so I plan on trying out a few things (I'm intentionally overpacking).

Not sure I'll do a ride report yet, but will post up my experiences.
    dredman likes this.
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    I look forward to the info!
    I am doing LOTS of testing, as I really like to put faith in my gear and find it's outer limits - I already KNOW mine :)
    Amphib likes this.
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    This is why I love this place.... The ever expanding knowledge base.

The well thought out reports, reviews, experiences... debates, all of our differences, variables, it's so much better than googling reviews online.
    dobby likes this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    It is really hard to beat the base of knowledge available here. I find so much info and inspiration here it is hard not to be sucked into a black hole of consumption (it has happened before). Trying to PRODUCE more knowledge and discussion than I consume nowadays. I still have a lot of questions about how and why. :-)
    Amphib likes this.
  10. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coldest so far are only high 20's, low 30's and that's as cold as I want to go. The mat is down filled, so a 50% air sill still works insulation-wise. It will take some experimenting for sure.
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
    Ahh, insulated pad - share your brand? How long have you been using it? What have you tried that failed? I like to learn the easy way - from other's mistakes :)
    Amphib likes this.
  12. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone post a picture of a down 20 degree top quilt & under quilt packed down for loading on the bike, with something for size reference? I have been using synthetic UQ/TQ and they pack down terribly. So I am looking at the hammock gear stuff and really am interested in the pack down size.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have ZERO experience or knowledge of top quilts, but my new inflatable ground pad packs tiny? I am testing the new underquilt by itself this week (video this weekend) in below zero weather. I imagine anything filled with down is gonna be tough, and short-life when compressing constantly. Is down even a thing anymore? I don't know anyone motocamping in down?
  14. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Um yea, down is still a thing. If you want light, packable, and warm. And as far as packing down, umm down, to load on the bike, it still is the answer IMO. You just throw it in a mesh bag or such when storing at home to keep things good, works for my down bags and according to the manufacturers. Synthetics do not pack down very well.

Without a quality UQ/TQ you are
    going to freeze in a hammock. If it’s below 70 at night, I’m using an UQ or a pad with an R rating. BTW, using a sleeping pad in a hammock sucks unless you have a way to keep it in place.

I’m not trying to hijack your thread btw. I think a good UQ/TQ is a must for hammock camping in cool-cold weather, and because I ride a little bike using an R40, packability is a big deal. My experience is it can take more room then my tent setup trying to pack a hammock for anything in cool temps, and my current TQ/UQ is part of that problem. I love my hammock though, and want to upgrade my UQ/TQ and tarp... and this is the most relevant thread right now.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I have a few different quilts. No pics of them compressed, but I can squeeze them in my hands smaller than volleyball size without much effort.

There's a roll of paper towel next to me that a quilt could mimic the size of that pretty easily.

16. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are they rated for? I need football size essentially and hoping a 20 degree UQ will go to that size easily.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My best quilt (underquilt) is a Leighlo 20° 76"x 42". Can't really judge football size, but I'm sure it'll be smaller.

Actually I'll go stuff it in a sack and take some measurements for ya. Standby.

18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can't tell by the phone camera angle, but the 76x42 quilt stuffed to about 8x6.

That said, i would never stuff it this tight. I'm never that tight for space anyway, and I feel as I'm doing harm to the piece of equipment/gear.

It's actually harder to pack too. Left loose inside a larger sack and you can push/stuff it around other articles. If that makes sense.

20191111_180537.jpg

Attached Files:

Jollyrogers likes this.
  19. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Maggot! It makes absolute sense, as that is typically what I do in the R40 with my tent when I carry it.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  20. dredman

Oddometer:
    Hey man, as long as we are not talking about 'lack of trees' being an issue, I am good. Not new to hammocks, but new to underquilts and cold weather - THIS WEEK! I am hoping to be good at it in a month, and maybe an expert in a couple of years?
    I will say that so far I am impressed at what an underquilt with a 32° bag in 37° works. Last time I tried that low in a hammock I had some hypothermia - this time it was toasty?

I am also here to learn.
    Jollyrogers likes this.