Why is my brake light coming on?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Island, Apr 3, 2014.

1. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure there was a thread about this somewhere but, my wife was following behind me in a few different occasions (off road, speed bumps on road...) and she mentioned that after every speed bump, my brake light would come on for a few seconds after going over it. During our ride, I never used my brake while going over the bumps so, where's this thread that explains what the heck is going on?

When off road, it's coming on a lot without me actually using it.

It never flickered as if there is a short, it's as if I am using the brakes even though I am not.

Thanks everyone.
  2. joker64

joker64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you haven't bent your back brake lever . I bent mine while riding in Colorado it was on all the time. It pushes up on a plunger and when I bent it back I didn't on the plunger. It's easy fix if that's it .
  3. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen this on every F800 or F650GS i've been behind when you get into rough area... i have always thought it was the brake lever flopping up and down...

I don't know for sure but have wondered the same thing.
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yup buddies give me the same speech every time to let that brake lever alone, but never touching it. Thing that the pedal must be jumping up and down and activating it
  5. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    It's a "Back Off' feature built into the bike for when the going gets tough. Warns riders behind you that the fat lady in high heels may cause a scene.
  6. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    My wife called me a noob so, now I can show here what's what. Thanks for the input everyone.

Nothing bent — everything looks good. Must be my wicked off road awesomeness thats triggering the brake lights.
  7. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brake light was on solid for a long trip and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Turned out to be a minor adjustment in the hand brake lever switch--as I recall, there's a set screw in there that had worked itself loose.
  8. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a threaded rod connecting the foot brake pedal to the hydraulic cylinder that allows for taking up some slack. It may be adjusted too tightly.
  9. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a recall on the F700GS side rear brake switch?