Why is my new bike's seat so bad?!?!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lilmonkey, Jul 30, 2010.

1. lilmonkey

lilmonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First long ride today and my ass is completely numb. I miss my Transalp's deep Corbin goodness!

It's like an ironing board.

I think an aftermarket upgrade is in my future.
  2. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    I agree, I put 50 miles on today (demo) and I also am feeling a little bum burn. Why cant anyone get a factory seat right?
  3. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'cause it's not a Renazco!

LINKY

:ricky
  4. Roy1980

Roy1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm happy with the BMW comfort seat.
  5. hyak107

hyak107 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gave the stock seat about 1k miles then went with the Sargent enduro seat. It's not perfect, but it's a huge improvement and still lets me maneuver around with ease.
  6. themobb

themobb Is this thing on???

Oddometer:
    Someone in another "Seat thread" said it best: The seats are not designed by Ergonomists, but rather, by Stylists...

I just put some beads on (think NYC cab seat). Will try tomorrow although I'm fairly certain there's an aftermarket seat in my future.

I gotta laugh every time I hear mention of the BMW "Comfort Seat". Why the heck wouldn't you put a comfortable seat on the motorcycle in the first place!!!!

Lance
  7. lilmonkey

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with the dealer this morning. I wanted to get a price-he used the ol' "today only" ploy that it was $388 out-the-door. Said it was about a week to week and a half if he ordered it today.

I'm skeptical about another BMW seat since they didn't get the original stock seat right...but I need to have something before my 800 miler at the end of August!

I've been reading everyone's opinions seems like Sargent and Russell are rising to the top...but even those have issues. The Sargent looks ok... the Russell looks comfy but that quilting looks a little too H-D to me....
  8. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    I found the seat is so uncomfortable because is slopes too much. I felt as if it was always trying to slide me forward. Thus the skin on my arse was always being pulled and stretched. Thus pain and Chafing. I made a very inexpensive fix. I cut out about 1 inch at the low spot and more front and back. I used a level to make the cut-out level to the ground. I then replaced the removed foam with a cheap $13 memory form pillow. I carved it to shape and recovered with the factory cover and re-stapled. Sorry, no pics as I was in a hurry. I had a sore arse in 200 miles before. the week following the change, I road the Continental Divide trail from Denver to Canada and back in 6 days without any sore arse the entire trip.
  9. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you post that your stock BMW seat is not comphy, everyone reading your post knows your a BMW amateur. They have not made more than a token seat to get you home since the 80's. Everyone else knows your supposed to have a Sargent or other after market seat waiting to be installed when bike gets home. I had my Sargent World seat ordered an hour after I bought my 800. It's OK. The stock seat is in the attic. Take a look at the FAQ on this forum and decide which after market seat is right for you. No flame intended. BMW just gave up on putting a livable seat on a new bike years ago. Maybe that is not how the world should be, but that is truth. Dave
  10. fjk

fjk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You Americans must have very soft rear ends:rofl

I am living happily with the stock seat.
    I like that it is firm and I think that it gives good support for active riding.

So I disagree with CheckerdD:
    I guess seats are a very personal thing, and not all would need/want an aftermarket seat.
    For commuting, non Iron-butt traveling and dual-sport riding the stock seat could be just fine!
    At least give it a try !
  11. JPSpen

JPSpen At Large

Oddometer:
    Go with the Russell...You won't be sorry..

John
  12. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Call Don Webber at Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, OR. Good guy & great seat rework. Custom fit to my arse. Reasonable price.
  13. lilmonkey

Oddometer:
    Yep. Total BMW noob. That Transalp reference in the first post should have given that away! :deal

My boney backside was holding out hope that the seat was going to be better.

I in order to take this first trip, I might give the refoam option a try while I have a custom on order.
  14. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Its just that you (I) spend 2000 grand more on a bike of comparable cc and you would think those germans could throw in a comfortable seat.
    Even the TouraTech seat is not the answer, although it improves with time.

As gpracer said...

You should not have to be forced forward and sit on your balls. :huh
    This is about my 20th bike and the worst seat of all.
    Not dissing the whole bike - just needs a little work. :deal
  15. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    Every one's butt is different. Some like the stock seat's, some like the Russel pillow soft deep buckets, some like the long flat seats that you can move around on on long days. I'm one of these and really like my Sargent Enduro.

I recommend you sit in some alternative seats...better take them for a ride in you can before you spend $$ buying any alternative.

l
  16. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    I managed to do 15 hours and 666 miles (scary I know) on the BMW standard low seat in one day. It wasn't great but its levels of dis-comfort are some what exaggerated. Just make sure you move around to minimise pressure points.

The amount of money spent on replacing parts that you have paid for can amount to ridiculous levels. New seat, new fairing, new forks, new chain, new battery. Might as well build your own bike!
  17. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CAlan%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
  18. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    vtbob, you have a pic of your Enduro seat???

Did you get the carbon fiber insert (waffle pattern)?
    I would worry of the carbon fiber insert as I hate to get 'glued' to a particular position.
    Sliding around is good IMO.
  19. lilmonkey

Oddometer:
    After a myriad of phone calls..it doesn't seem as if I can get my hands on an aftermarket seat by Aug. 23. Anyone have a line on something, please post..
  20. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Your location?
    I walked into TouraTech in Seattle a couple of weeks back and walked out with a saddle from them. Check their stock.
    Not the best saddle, not the worst - seems to be breaking in...
    They may two day to you.