Why is the bike so TALL? (F800GS)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Migs, Jan 13, 2010.

1. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Like the guys mentioned on page one, they do - the "650" is functionally identical to the 800, with lower suspension. It's still pretty handy on fire trails, and although the engine is de-tuned, I didn't really notice the difference.

Then, of course, you can have the 800R or the 800ST, both of which are lower again but are limited to good, graded gravel. (I actually went to the dealer to buy an 800R and got distracted - hence the two quite similar bikes in my sig!)
  2. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    It seems that for every person that is convinced the Versys, Stroms, Tigers, etc are dirt bikes and will be more or less as dirt capable as any Husky two stroke, there is someone who complains about the front wheel size, suspension height or lack of wind protection on the bikes that are actually better suited to the dirt than most beasts.
  3. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    Guys:

I didn't mean to start a battle.

You know what I think? The average German male must have 2-3 inches more inseam. Hence the taller bike. I guess BMW never counted on the popularity of their bikes in other countries where there is a preponderance of slightly shorter riders.

I have a friend who is much shorter (much much shorter) and he rides a tall bike. Whenever he comes to a stop he either looks for an upcropping in the natural terrain on which to rest his foot OR he does a quick full one sided dismount (like a gymnast). Very funny to watch!

Migs
  4. Freerk

Freerk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The average German male is 5'10" (178cm). For 18-35 yo its 5'11". Inseam doesnt play any role over here, I first read about that in this forum. Average US size is 5'9<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>1</sup><big>&#8260;</big><sub>2</sub>"

Greetings from Berlin
  5. -W-

-W- Flying Finn

Oddometer:
    I don't think that this is a battle, this is just funny! ;)

Okay, lets follow the thought that this has something to do with the Germans beeing taller than some other.

According to this thought Austrians are then even littlebit taller, because KTM's are taller than beemers.

So why we just don't by Japanise bikes? They must be really low because Japanese people aren't even near as tall as Germans or Austrians! Oh, shit, Yamaha Tenere is eveb taller than F8GS, how can it bee...?
  6. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    The 800gs is not for you. There are plenty of other bikes out there. Go shopping and...
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL1lfSzgcAw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL1lfSzgcAw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  7. Migs

Oddometer:
    It's either a Japanese bike or I'll have some 2" thick soles added to my boots. Hell, I can even carry fuel in them....:rofl
  8. B-B

B-B out of my lane

Oddometer:
    why not a G650GS? Much lower than the F8, and pretty well proven bike. Given the price difference you could make one into a Dakar and still have money left over.
    Honestly I was a bit put off by the height on the F8 as well, and the dealer put the low seat on there and I like it a lot. No problems putting both feet down (32" inseam).
  9. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Welcome to ADV Rider! This is typical banter that happens on every thread!

Everyone has an opinion and nobody is shy to express them or tell you you are wrong!

There is a lot of good information on here, there is a lot of :topes

Take everything with a grain of salt and then make the decision based on what you want, need, feel! :freaky
  10. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about the second part of that, as I really think that BMW thinks globally when developing a bike, but nevertheless, you are right with the first part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

I considered myself as being slightly above average and I'm 6' with a bit more than 34.5" inseam. Thinking back to my school days, I do have long legs, but not outstanding or so. Here in California, with people around me from South and Middle America, India, China, Japan, ... I'm more in the upper 5 to 10% regarding height.

It seems to me, that even the average white American male has a longer upper body, resulting in shorter legs compared to the typical German. This now is more "gut feeling" from how people describe themselves here (height vs. inseam) and what I see in daily life. My inseam is about 48% of my total height. Don't know how that is for the others here, but when I read 34" or more inseam, the person is often 6'3" or taller. My wife is 5'7" and has a 33" inseam - she has no trouble at all to flat food the F800GS with standard seat. But again: inseam is 49.3% of her total height.

And as you can see at the link above, there is QUITE a difference between different countries and height / inseam.
  11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The average American is 30# overweight. BMW should have figured that in for their spring rates:rofl
  12. wickit

wickit Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    30# have you taken a look around? Crap just grab a corner at the local mall, busy store, or ? and actually look for fat asses. 30# is probably the American (Don't offend anyone because that is just mean or wrong) weight, but the actual scale says 75#. I'm not talking any height weight chart just plain fat asses. I wish they would have factored that in also or at least adjustability in the suspension.
  13. davyboy

davyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ive a 1150gs(proper bike:D ),and yet i struggle to get both feet down on ground while test ridin one of these.they are tall.:cry
  14. Migs

Oddometer:
    So I start browsing for the G650GS and the first thing I find:

....So, after hearing the cries of American consumers for an affordable Beemer with a humane seat height, the GS returns as the G650GS. Seems BMW has finally cleared up its sometimes-confusing naming conventions once and (hopefully!) for all. All Single cylinders will start with the letter G, all parallel Twins will begin with F, all Boxer Twins will still begin with an R, the in-line Fours will still be K models, and soon we’ll see S models like the S1000RR. Cool! Now I get it, for the most part. There's still BMW's confusing logic when it comes to the name of the new F650GS. As most now know, the F650GS, brother to the F800GS, is in fact also an 800cc parallel Twin, and not a 650. Just when we thought it was clear...

rest is here:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2009-bmw-g650gs-review-87721.html
  15. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And that's just one butt cheek ... :rofl
  16. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or half a boob job :lol3
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    It's made for lanky europeans, as opposed to tiny Japanese people. Big ground clearance and suspension travel for improved off-road ability is a factor too.
  18. everywherevirtually

everywherevirtually In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer:
    I'm 5' 7" with an inseam of 29". The F800GS was my first proper bike I bought in June 2008 after passing my test in the May. I've done 33,000 miles on it. I've visited 23 countries in 2009 alone. I've taken it off road in mud, snow, ice, gravel.

If you are in a rut your feet will be firmly planted on the ground anyway. On long distances your hips will hurt as you will feel a little cramped. There is not much distance from seat to pegs.

Just get on with it. The height of the bike has no bearing on how you handle it. It is confidence. The Dakar rider Patsy quick is short and she rides the KTM's.

It is all in your mind... there is no spoon and in your case it should be "there is no tall bike" :lol3
  19. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    5'8" 29" inseam. I rode the standard seat for a few weeks and then got the low. I know the standard is more comfortable so I amrhinking of swirching back. I've prob dropped it a few times due to my height but no biggie, just adjust and ride it on the pegs all you van! I love it!
  20. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    Are you a chopper rider as in your avatar?
    Perhaps you need to start taking lessons from your friend that does the dismounts? I had a 5'1" Japanese LADY who rode one oy my WR Yamaha tourbikes. She would pull up to a curb, rock, etc or as she was coming to a stop she would stand up and then in the last 10-15 feet she'd swing here leg over and hold the bike up from the side with the shifting foot still on the peg. Reversed the procedure as she took off....
    If a 5'7" Bolivian Man can't do the same then he should just stick to the cruisers.... how do you ride the KX250?? You do give some insight when you say you put your foot down when turning???? why is that? shouldn't you be weighting your outside peg and standing up?

My vertically challenged friends in Ecuador don't seem to have much of a problem as long as they are real adept at riding. Several are in the 5'4"-5'6" range. They all are on the lookout for uneven terrain that they can use or avoid as they are stopping.......but mostly they just slide there ass off of the saddle leaving their thigh resting on the saddle as they balance the bike with one foot.

My suggestion is that you start practicing riding your KX250 without putting your feet down unless at a full stop..........and don't buy your son a 4 wheeler (aren't they for girls, cruiser riders to go offroad, or old folks?) when he can have a proper motorcycle. This way he can learn how to ride a tall bike and not be asking such questions when grown.