1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the Crosstourer a flop?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Mattbastard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I think we will see more flops and line up drops of bikes in the future. Demographics are changing and newer buyers are not coming in at the numbers needed to support all these models.

New models will need to be more global models not just for certain markets.
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never tried the DCT, but i wasn't interested after riding the manual.
    Plus the DCT adds another 15 kilos on what is already a heavy bike.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Maybe a pipe might give it some spark?

4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Honda thought they were releasing a GS sales killer with this bike & now wondering just the same why they did not sell.
  5. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned one back in 2013, kept it for a year and a half before changing it and getting a 650 VStrom.
    The Crosstourer was great on the motorway, would cruise at 100mph all day long.
    The engine was definitely the high point as was the comfort (once I swapped the original useless short screen).
    On the downside the weight was massive and the C of G was high up too.
    It was hard work in city traffic although great on the open road.
    They are now priced very reasonably in the UK but when I bought mine they were a couple of grand more which put it in BMW GS territory, and that bike handled better, had a more engaging engine and better residuals.
    In the UK the Crosstourer as well as the VFR1200F were never massive sellers and I’ve heard that the CT is going the same way as the VFR and will be deleted next year.
    davyjones likes this.
  6. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at it hard when I bought my S10 and it was a wash, decided on either s10 or vfrx depending on what I could find as a best deal for me at time of purchase. Bought the S10.

I liked the vfrx for: motor, DCT

I disliked it for: ergonomics for tall person, small range, no aftermarket ez aux tank, no oem cruise control.

With aux tank, cc and better mpg, I love the S10 but in stop and go commuting, I wonder what life with DCT would be like? Still could be my next bike...
    davyjones likes this.
  7. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to motorcyclist magazine
    624 lbs full of fuel and 107 horsey powers.
    I guess that's satisfactory,but easily Honda could have done better.
  8. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe they put a 0 in the middle instead of a 2. But the X was always 127bhp on the spec sheet.
    Never saw any dyno figures at the back wheel, but all bikes are less than the specs on that.
  9. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our dealer had a vfrx for a while then knocked the price down below 10k and it was gone in a week. For me it was a no brainer over the AT because of the wheels, drive shaft, and adjustable windshield. I did not test ride either. To me its perfect on paper. I never cared for cruise though. Maybe if Honda could swap in the AT motor (but keep the drive shaft) the weight would be better.
  10. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed the manufacturer likes to print what looks best, I bought a new Buell Ulysses the factory spec was 103 hp, real deal at wheel, around 85,they claimed 425 lbs dry, in actuality it was around 525 lbs, I guess buells dry weight was really dry like no oil,no fuell ,no battery or suspension fluids and certainly no factory racks or luggage that was standard on that bike.
  11. c5ip

c5ip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a year of ownership and around 18,000 miles, here's my take. It's a great road bike: comfortable, good power, and handles all roads well from the highway, rough country back roads, and twisties. I've taken it off road and it does okay, IMO, as long as you know its and your limits. Gravel and dirt roads are fine. Had it on very rocky stuff and won't do it again...too much work. Agree about the weight when it's not moving or you drop it...it can be a real PITA to get back up. The stock shock is garbage and I replaced it with a Penske which made a big difference. For the discounted price, I don't regret buying it. Thanks for your service and good luck with whatever you decide.
    JacobH and davyjones like this.
  12. AustinP

AustinP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really dislike the instrument panel on the crosstour. Aftermarket support is virtually non existent, hard to dial them in to personal needs, makes me sad as a VFR owner, it would be my long range tourer if Honda could tweak some things about it.
  13. GMCNC100

GMCNC100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The above says it all - at it’s US list price it’s missing a lot vs it’s competitors: cruise control, electronic suspension, electronic windscreen, display better than 1990’s tech.

At the current discounted prices it’s attractive, but there aren’t any aftermarket improvements. So it’s caught in a “no man’s land.” If you like it as-built, it’s probably a great buy for a 4 cylinder shaft drive bike. And one of the few DCT bikes available.
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    While I have never properly ridden the VFR-X, I have played around with one in the showroom and the bike has the same fault for me as the Triumph Explorer and the KTM 1290 ADV-R: It's not just the weight, it's the high COG that makes those bikes a mother****er to even nudge off the kickstand or handle at low speed. But where the Explorer or ADV-R are both in the same weight neighborhood as the GSA or the SuperTen (which are both confidence-inspiringly low in how they carry weight), the VFR-X has a fair bit more weight and it's all right where you feel it most.

Contrast this to Honda's own Africa Twin, which is tall but carries its weight flatteringly so long as you've ever ridden a dual-sport, asserts its dominance as an off-road capable bike for the Walter Mitty types who swear that someday they'll be a Chris Birch, and still has enough power to be confident at speed. And then the CB500X and NC750X have the same "soft-roader" SUV-esque appeal but at a much lower price tag

A lot of people will judge a bike on the showroom floor by how it carries its weight and whether or not they can flat foot it, especially if they aren't the type to do their homework on bikes before shopping around - the ADVRider hyper-user who carries a mental spreadsheet of the entire ADV market within their heads is in the minority
    davyjones likes this.
  15. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of aftermarket products for the bike, but they are very spread out and not consolidated into any one catalog or website. The crosstourer forum is a good resource and mine has quite a few parts on it.

Greg
    JacobH and Cajunhawg like this.
  16. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I would love it if Honda tossed the AT engine in an NC700X. I enjoyed the NC for a good year, just needed about 30 more HP and TQ.
    fastring likes this.
  17. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I recently hung my DCT full of gas on a digital scale and it was 663lbs with accessories and soft bags in place. Over 200lbs heavier than my cb500x.

Greg
    JacobH and Jarrett2 like this.
  18. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No bike will.
    All a "cool bike" does is make an owner a person with a cool bike :lol3

It's amazing how many people don't realize that.

Anyway, back to the subject-- as someone who likes Honda, a past/present owner of many VF/VFRs, someone who really liked the DCT on the VFR1200F, and ok with larger adv bikes (older Tiger, CapoNord, 950/990/& 1190 Adventures), I was predisposed to buy one- but was really put off by the size and weight.

And I was doubly pissed that Honda didn't put the tubeless 19/17 setup on an AT version (still don't, the dummies).
  19. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    The VFR1200F seems like the bike that motor was born for, frankly - the X is at least a neat design experiment, just to say they could do it
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Africa Twin.