Why is the Crosstourer a flop?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Mattbastard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My guess is Honda was going to update the ST/ Pan American & then punted

vfr1200st-paneuropean1.jpg

Sport tourers had their day and Honda had a new Gold Wing up their sleeve anyway to take it's place.

ADV bikes were taking over sales...and as such the 1200X became the new ST and the ADV option too. Honda thought they had a GS killer but it didn't work out that way.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've sat on a 1200X and a 1200GS.

I've gone to lift both up from the side stand...the GS went up easy, nice low seat too...the X almost didn't budge, seat is kinda taller...wtf?

No way in hell older ADV riders are going to buy this...and they didn't.

My guess is my story was repeated many times over in Honda show rooms throughout the country.

My guess, Honda did not full understand their buying market...who was going to use this bike.

You can accept a heavy ST bike on the paved as it "disappears when moving".
    That same argument does not fly when the idea riding dirt is introduced.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The perfect storm for Honda of things going wrong on what is otherwise a great motorcycle.

With the AT firmly in place not sure if Honda is willing to build attempt #3 after the Varadero and 1200X...the world is looking for lighter now.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  4. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    You got the wrong weight springs on it mate...ring a proper suspension shop.. get the proper weight /rate springs

Correct the spring rates the bike will ride fine, your proberbly on the safe working limit weight wise for that bike too..

In the uk I'd recommend ktech, exceptional knowledge
    Cantab likes this.
  5. Cantab

Cantab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah i realise its undersprung now, im on the Versys.com forums and people (UK&US) have fitted Nitrons etc and resprung upfront with marginal success.
    Unfortunately we dont have that many suspension shops in NZ let alone in the south island..
    Im just not into it anymore...thanks for the reply tho :beer
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I dunno about the CT, but the S10 ES can handle passengers and luggage no prob and adjusts in seconds electronically.
    Cantab likes this.
  7. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Mattbastard , I bought my vfr1200x towards the end of last summer. Found a left over new 2016 for $6999 and raced 4 hours to pick it up. (No other fees out the door either). I ordered a plug and play digital cruise control from Australia, givi luggage, wind deflector, guards, GPS mount from Italy, and I'm still in under $9k. I enjoy having a bike that is kinda rare in the states and that has a unique engine and sound. I ride 2 up with full luggage at times and prefer the vfr to the new goldwing dct that I sold last year. Wind protection is perfect and for me it has an amazing growl stock. Mpg isn't the best but in the first couple thousand miles I'm running low 40s. I prefer the more simple LCD display to the new tft screens. I can ride this all day and feel great afterwards. I've had a few bikes and have riden a few miles so your mileage may vary. If you find one cheap grab it and ride. It's a big bike but I don't find it difficult to maneuver. I'm 5'9" 180 and it's perfect for me. I have v37 side cases and v56 maxia top case also.

I think honda pooched the USA release of this bike by not advertising it and releasing it at the same time as the Africa Twin. Nobody wanted or talked about the vfr1200x once they saw the AT release. It's a super smooth bike with great grunt and sound.
    20191027_120805.jpg
  8. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden one,

Ivd got a ginger bike 2017 1290 s.a.r.. has all the gadgets, and the electronics up grade, and i love it, I'd not sell it even if mrs tried to force me

But I look at this 1200 and really like it,

It looks very good, I think I'd have one ove a bmw gs any day, the cruise control is a massive over sight tho

Id love a go on one
    rizzo27 likes this.
  9. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    I keep a little ginger bike for all my other riding needs... The SAR is an amazing machine. I was looking at a used one when I found the vfr1200x.
    20190905_102133.jpg
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yup. Adding cruise and electronic suspension would've made it a much more compelling alternative to the European offerings. Shame Honda refused to evolve the bike.
  11. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    I've just seen the weight of it, with is crazy, I can see how this could be off putting to potential owners

I thought my ktm1290 was ridiculously heavy at about 230kg..
  12. Redoubt

Redoubt The chair is against the wall.

Oddometer:
    If you was to cruise at 70mph for let's say 50 miles, what kind of mpg does it get?
  13. Banksy

Banksy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a run my CT will get high 40s maybe low 50s imperial mpg...
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
  15. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any dct models sitting around in showrooms still?
  16. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are getting rare in the showrooms.........but..........talk to dealer that cares about selling bikes, several posts on guys say they can still order them, many dealers are very cautious about having one sitting on the floor.

Dealer that cares ????....... Dealer A may say not available, Dealer B on the same day......may say how do many to want. Phone calls vs in person inquiring may change the results or answer on ordering. Remember all dealers are independent business people attitude varies ( sad to say).

Posted on FEB 8 2020 in the CT thread:
    Well, I did it. I bought a new 2017 VFR1200X-DCT today. It needs to be picked up from the Honda warehouse, and brought to my local dealer, so I should have my hands on it in about 10 days.

Let the farkling begin :-)
  17. c5ip

c5ip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I average 40 mpg (US) at that speed, and most near it. That’s been steady over 20K miles.
  18. Banksy

Banksy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why was the CT a flop? All I can think of is the weight... That and the Africa twin coming along at the same time as the CT came to the states.. Compared the the AT though.. more power, tube less wheels, shaft drive.. I've had both, 2016 AT and a 2019 CT.. Apart from it being heavier than the AT to me the CT is a far better bike for every day.. Only other place the AT would be better is off road and as that's only about 1% of my riding I'll stick with the CT every time.
    JacobH likes this.
  19. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda has put out some premium priced bikes that lacked many features of the competition -- the Africa Twin and Crosstour come to mind. I don't know what they are thinking. It seems like they leave off stuff on purpose so they an add it the the second generation.
  20. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I would have never bought one at the original msrp but since I bought mine at less than half I am happy to have a super reliable mostly touring bike. I took it on a camping trip last fall through Missouri with a buddy. It made me happy to have a honda with dealers everywhere when his year old ktm 1090 started failing to start or had no power. Luckily after a day of riding to the nearest ktm dealer he limped it in. Fuel pump going bad already but they had no parts for it since they were a dirt bike dealer. We rode easy all the way home over 2 more days so he could truck it to the nearest dealer. I'm not against ktm and own a 500 excf but if I'm touring long distance it's nice to know Honda has a very wide dealer network.