Why is the Crosstourer a flop?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Mattbastard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    My previous long distance bike was 2008 Wing and while it was nice to know the nearest Honda dealer wasn't far off, I never needed one. Now I'm riding a 2013 Triumph Trophy and dealers are few and far between. I had a lot of issues with it early on, but they seem sorted out now. I wish Honda had updated the ST-1300 and added cruise, audio and nav.
  2. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of people refer to the redesigned 2018+ Goldwing as the "ST-1800". The updated Goldwing is a bit of a mix of the 2001-2017 Goldwing and the ST-1300.
    showkey and olie like this.
  3. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Good lord that is a crazy price for that bike. Granted I’m in Southern California but the best deal I’ve seen in the vfr1200x is $8499.00 plus tax, registration, and fees totaling ~11,500. A great bike and not to insane for Cali but I would only interested at 10k max. Congratulations on that deal man, that is a lot of bike for the money.
  4. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    We flippin love ours.... Coming to the VFRX from a GS...... Honda is so much better. Love the V4 power. It is way better off-road than I ever thought it could be. A phenomenal 2-up machine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to like this bike given my affinity for Honda products and ST1300s over the years but the ergonomics were way off for me personally. Cramped riding position compared to GS and Super Tenere. I could fix the bars but not the high and forward foot pegs. I still long for an ST1200 though as the new Wing is really a different category to me.
  6. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Yep, I added bar risers, + 2". And I added Knight lowering pegs.... - 1.6". It got a new CalSci wind screen.... I had to put about $500 into making it right for me, but I purchased the bike brand new for $11,500. Beats the hell out of a $25k BMW.

7. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you feel about a visit to the Daytona, FL area? I just bought what they said was their last manual, they still have a DCT on the floor and at least one more in the warehouse. They don't come off the advertised price easily, but they will move a little.
    https://www.rchillhonda.com/New-Inv...orcycle-Scooter-VFR1200X-DCT-8425944?ref=list
  8. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I’d say fly and ride, but...Corona.
  9. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had one. It was the DCT Highlander model. I liked the bike but not the gearbox. The engine was lovely but it was a very heavy bike. Also, and maybe most importantly - no cruise. I did about 10k on it.

[​IMG]
  10. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's pretty!^
    syntec4 and Thumpercrazee like this.
  11. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really love mine.

Attached Files:

JacobH and syntec4 like this.
  12. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never got a notification on your question. I just installed the cruise control and haven't had the opportunity to do any highway riding yet. Sorry.
  13. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A few months into my Crosstourer ownership......I'm loving it. I'll open the wallet and sort the suspension by the end of the summer and after that, I may just consider it the perfect bike!!!!!

(maybe better brakes as well)
  14. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It looks like you might have put wider rubber than the 150 rear............if so, how did it work out for you???
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  15. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... any news now??
    Thumpercrazee and rizzo27 like this.
  16. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It works perfectly. Steady and smooth. MPG in the mid to low 40s.
    olie and Thumpercrazee like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is that a Cal Sci screen with a MRA extension up top?

You've got a Naca duct below with laminar air flow above...should be smooth air.
    Thumpercrazee and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  18. Coolvirgo54

Coolvirgo54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  19. Coolvirgo54

Coolvirgo54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big_John said:
    We flippin love ours.... Coming to the VFRX from a GS...... Honda is so much better. Love the V4 power. It is way better off-road than I ever thought it could be. A phenomenal 2-up machine!

I agree on all your points. The CT is hands down the best bike I have owned in 50 years of riding. Way better tourer than my last bike - Harley Ultra Classic. Such an easy bike to ride long distance, even loaded to 500kg and towing a camper trailer. Std rear preload handled that easily. Nimble enough to have serious fun in the twisties and that low down torque is amazing.
    At 180-200kph the bike is happy and stable. I fitted European fully integrated cruise control, also Delkevic larger decat headers, 50mm bar risers, Givi crash bars, Shad sidecases. The reliability and longevity of the CT is becoming legendary. There is a guy in Europe who keeps posting his speedo on FB. He is up to 474,000km without pulling the motor apart. Lots of guys don't check valve clearances under 100,000km. I checked mine at 50,000km and within new spec. I got used to the weight pretty quickly and even on trails it doesn't bother me and I'm 66 with a bung right shoulder. Did one trip 1700km non-stop except for fuel in 22hrs taking in the scenery - epic.
    AZbiker, Cajunhawg and Thumpercrazee like this.
  20. MidlifePanic

MidlifePanic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am liking this. I am growing tired of KTM 1290 bullshit, wobble, glitchy electronics.

this may be new bike.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.