Why is the r1200gs more comfortable?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by freud, Mar 5, 2014.

1. freud

freud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might find a different approach here:

As most questions if you already know the answer this may seem too obvious. To me unfortunately is not and I'll explain why:

-The size of the bikes is almost the same, in lenght, being thr F narrower than the R.

-The backreste is the same, given that you have the aluminum top case.

So where does the comfort difference come?

wider seat?

Better wind proteccion?

The suspension?

If so, an F bike could become as or even more comfortable than a stock RGS if you get a big screen, handlebar risers and a custom wide seat, while retaining the nimblenes for lane splitting.

What would you say? or what do you know?
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have no clue. Don't have one.
  3. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own both a 1200 and 800 GS. I think the 800 is more comfortable. Lower, lighter, the gearing is more appropriate for American roads and speed limits. The 800 is better off pavement. Have a nice day. Dave
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Everything is better than 8GS OEM seat. Change seat, windscreen, raise the bars, lower the pegs and there you go the 8GS is comfortable!
  5. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Depends on the person. I tried a Kahedo/Touratech seat and it was horrible for me. I tried a Corbin seat on my old bike and it was also unbearable for me, way too wide and stiff. If I wanted a windscreen, I'd take the car. The wind feels like I'm moving faster without speeding :rofl
  6. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I suppose you could put a 19" wheel on the F800GS for more "nimbleness." But then there are other issues.

Fred
  7. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    A 1200GSA would make me more comfortable in my manhood.

But 800 is where it's at. :cry
  8. stephen.stallebrass

stephen.stallebrass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I considered the R12GSA but went for the F8 and I love it. I've been all over with it too... I would get yourself an Airhawk cushion, some Rox Risers, some wider Pivot Pegz and a taller wider Flip screen. Mine is pretty comfy. Nevertheless, there remains this niggling part of me that still wants a GSA... I have a GTR1400 which I love too but getting back on the F8 reminds how much I love the F8.
  9. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why?

Well, for me it isn't. I put 47k on an R12Gs and I could never quite get comfortable on it.

The F800gs fits me better and by default, is a more comfortable bike for me.
  10. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    I've ridden both extensively and went with the F. 2 F's actually.

A lot has to do with your intended riding. Two up cross country? R12. Battling cross winds a lot? R12. Solo travel cross country and off road? F8. Parking lots and crazy traffic? F8.

I could have had either but I got tired of man handling the R in and out of the garage, parking spots and backing up. I feel it's a total overkill for Central and South America.

I feel the R is a touring bike with benefits. :D