Why no BMW GS F850r ?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Pipeman, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Rally doesn’t count. I want adjustable front suspension, minimal electronics and about 450 pounds.
  2. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    morfic likes this.
  3. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    F900xr also. Although it only ticks one requirement.bikes are getting heavier with more electronics. I doubt we will see a shift back.not from BMW anyway.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well, the MT-09 ticks off 3 of your 4 requirements. It is the dark side of Japan.
  5. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I meant to better compete with KTM 790r.
  6. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with @satur9 I don't think we're likely to see BMW flip the other way and go lighter/more primitive. Hopefully KTM, Husqvarna, and Yamaha will continue to innovate down that road. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Super Tenere 700 looks like, and the Norden 901.
  7. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Pipeman,
    Are you looking for an 850 roadster version? If so, that would be the new F900 models.

If you’re looking for a lighter weight competitive version of the 850GS, it would have to be the KTM 790 Adventure models. I’m constantly looking for a lighter ADV with decent power, and, in my opinion, that’s the only one out there.

BMW doesn’t make anything approaching its 850 that’s lighter and I agree with others, that they never will. The only model that drops any substantial weight is the G310GS.

Coming in at around 460 lbs wet, I’m interested in taking the F900 for a spin when one becomes available. Clearly not intended for off road, but very exciting upgrades from the F800GT and Roadster.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.