Why no cruise control for 2017?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by hammick, Oct 29, 2016.

1. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any thought other than speculation why BMW didn't put cruise on the '17 F800/F700 bikes? They are throttle by wire and I'm guessing it would have been as easy as software and a switch. The switch housing has the cut out for the cruise switch.
    desertdaves likes this.
  2. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    It seems obvious to just do it right? Same question for all the TBW bikes without cruise. Africa Twin, KTM 690, KTM 1190, ...
  3. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it doesn't make sense. Even their 200hp track bike (S1000RR) has cruise. Seems like a good way to lose sales to Triumph over something they could have easily and cheaply done.
  4. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2 theories on this. 1st) So that have an upgrade to add in 2018. 2nd) Is that they are afraid it will take away sales from their big money maker the GS1200.
  5. ytsiwt

ytsiwt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning hammock

I have a thought that is mostly speculation. It isn't as easy as it seems to add a production electronic cruise control. I would imagine that BMW engineering was working with the NEW fly-by-wire throttling system getting the gains just right & throttle feel just right up to just before production release lock down.

That probably wouldn't have allowed enough time to work out the cruise control algorithms for all throttle modes, all tire combinations, & all safety concerns in time to make production release dates.

Hopefully they (BMW) will have it all worked out by next model year release date.
    Siricco and good dog like this.
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Don't worry you'll get it in 2018 and be able to get IR for your 2017 for enough $$$
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Sorry I forgot the obvious reason out of BMW policy: because phuck you, that's why.
    good dog likes this.
  8. Ron Earp

Ron Earp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First company to sort out a 800cc ADV bike with all the features and comforts of a 1200cc machine can have my, and a bet a lot of other people's, money. Triumph came really close for me with the new Tiger XCa but........chain drive. Close Triumph, very close.
  9. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW couldn't fix the snatchy throttle for 5 years with a cable. What makes you think they can do it with ride by wire?
  10. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Maybe because it's a lot easier with Fly By Wire.
    Loutre likes this.
  11. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    What snatchy throttle, I must have been riding fuel injected bikes for too long now
    Siricco likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only have a few hundred miles on my new F700GS with the fly by wire throttle. Very smooth. It does have a miniscule sensitive transition from no throttle to a TINY bit of throttle but I think I'm just needing to get used to it. I think it will be fine.

Talked to my salesperson where I got the thing and he advised that 2018 will probably have cruise and it should be an easy retrofit to the 2017's. He's been spot on in the past with his info so we will see..... I've use a simple "wrist rest" for years and have never needed a cruise but you never know....
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off road mode that is only available on the 800 is a retro fit to the 700 with purchase of combi switch, I would have to agree with Tewster. Cruise is in the DME, it should only need the switch housing and a session on the computer.
  14. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus, an add-on to the wiring harness and the corresponding input pins on the ZFE for the new buttons. I'm just guessing but I don't think the old (current) computer would have the dedicated ports "reserved for future use". So the cheapest, possibly even the only option to retrofit a future cruise control would be simply selling your old bike and buying a new one. Hope I'm wrong.
  15. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Max BMW has the part numbers to retro fit the combination switch with mode button and ISTA-P programming. All these bikes are CANBus so no need for pin connector issues. All you need is can hi and can low with a ground. Ride modes and cruise control along with all the engine functions are in the DME. The ZFE is most everything else. Somebody posted earlier that the K in BMS-K was for knock sensor, but all BMW acronyms are in German, not English so if the German word for Knock starts with a K he may be correct.
  16. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. The CAN bus is just the communication medium between different computers (zfe, bms, dash...) on board, but the switches have nothing to do with it. Every input (e.g. switches, sensors) and output (lights, etc.) connect to a dedicated pin on the zfe (or the bms, as you mention). As I said, I haven't seen the 2017 computers' pinouts but I doubt they or the harness would be future compatible for cruise control.
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  17. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually if BMW was planning on adding it to the 2018's the wiring will be in the main loom already. It cost too much to change the wiring loom. I work in manufacturing and when they do a major update they add wiring for any accessories they may add in the future.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  18. Loutre

Oddometer:
    or they just pop of the cap on one of the existing combination clusters and put one in with the new button, like they did with the fog light add on. should be easy enough to do.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  19. doucra

doucra n00b

Oddometer:
    A bit off topic perhaps but has anyone removed the electronic throttle switch from a 2017 GS? I need to change my handlebars.

I can't find any screws or any information in service manuals???

They all show the cabled throttle.