Why no love for the Multistrada Enduro?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by nitsuj, May 2, 2019.

1. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a bike and one of my possible suspects is the Multi Enduro. Like I'm sure many of you do, once I get a bike in my head, the obsessive research begins. I'm finding surprisingly little info about the Enduro. Not a lot of forum posts. Comparatively few youtube videos. Whats more, there seems to be lots of 2016-2017-2018 leftovers still on dealers floors. So what gives? Before the Enduro came out, Adv riders bemoaned the Multi for being a fake Adv bike with no real off road capability. Then they build something and it seems widely ignored. The people that have them seem to like them quite a bit. They look good. The engine is great. Maybe lack the all around polish of the GS, but they still seem like a viable rig. So... whiskey-tango-foxtrot, over?
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/multistrada-1200-enduro.1106275/

:rofl

Anyway for me, its big, its expensive, and when I do any realistic self reflection of what I would be doing with such a monster.....its not the tool for the job, I need the 17" wheels and the S/Pikes Peak larger rear wheel because I am usually two-up and on road.

Were I solo and in the dirt often I would use something smaller anyway i.e. a 690/701 or something along those lines.
    Krazyjohnny likes this.
  3. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha. Yes, I was aware of that thread, but that's really about it. And the ironic thing is, that thread is lengthy, so apparently at one time the idea of an Enduro interested people. I distinctly remember the original Multi coming out and hearing nothing but moaning "OMG, it has a 17" front wheel! That's no adventure bike!" Then they build one and everyone is quiet. I get how if you're comparing it to the S or PP, it's the wrong tool for the job. But if you're in the market for the GSA or KTM SAS, it seems like a viable option. I rode one and found it to be a blast. The S is good too, but I do require a bit more off road ability. Plus, I like the look of the Enduro.
  4. EJbeastie

EJbeastie Huge Lurker

Oddometer:
    I purchased one for myself at Christmas. Favorite bike that I have owned. By Far. I rode quite a bit until February, then my work schedule took over. Work becomes a "normal" schedule starting next week. I look forward to to so much fun ahead of me. I wrote a fun, goofy review for my fabulous local dealership a few weeks into ownership. You can read it here.

https://www.indyducati.com/news/2018-12-27-ej-s-multistrada-1200-enduro-pro-ride
    bobw likes this.
  5. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ejbeastie, great write up man! Your dealer owes you one big time. There’s a distinct lack of reviews like that one for this bike. I have been going back and fourth between GSA and Multi Enduro for weeks now. I know what to expect with the GSA. But the Duc is a bit of a question mark. Loved my test ride. But then the research starts. Analysis paralysis set in. Maybe I should stick with the Beemer. It’s a known quantity. Maybe I should get the Multi S. Wait, the KTM Superadventure S looks nice... Africa Twin would be more reliable. Super Tenere too. Boring. But, good. Guess I’m old enough for a Goldwing.

Today I realized, and your review cemented, this is all an emotional thing. This isn’t a dishwasher. This is a bike that has to be what I “want”. Right now, I want the Multi Enduro. If it turns out to not be practical enough, well, I’ll trade it on the next thing. I’ve worked hard and I’m not wealthy but I’m fortunate to be in a place where picking the wrong bike won’t ruin me.

I stopped at the dealer today and signed some papers. I pick up my Multi Enduro next week.
    bobw, MFS, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  6. kazamatzuri

kazamatzuri n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been riding a '16 MTS Enduro for almost 3 years now (and yes, mostly offroad). I'm having a blast. And sure, it's heavy, so if you're small and skipping your bench-presses you might have a hard time picking it up, but other than that it handles beautifully.
    Be sure to get your skills up to par, 150 (160 for the newer version) untamed horses is no joke offroad. I prefer the older version over the 1260 enduro model, since they lowered suspension travel and handlebar height (among a few other things). One of the mods that you might think of down the road is a stronger spring setup....
    bobw and EJbeastie like this.
  7. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome! Post pics and “new owner” review when you get it!
    EJbeastie likes this.
  8. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can count on it! In fact, I might even post up a video review. Not because I think anyone care what some doofus thinks of his bike, but somewhere down the line, someone like me is going to be looking for info on the bike, and, good or bad, I'd like them to find more infor than I did!
    twflybum and 18415 like this.
  9. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! What’s the point of these forums other sharing thoughts on our two wheel machines of choice, and then some good idle entertainment. Usually we just read these reviews to talk ourselves into something, but what’s wrong with that? And sometimes you might actually change your mind for good or not-so-good reasons, but all part of the process.
    I’ve also noticed that there isn’t as much chatter on the forums with the enduro. Am guessing its because they are more expensive than some machines and a later release, so owners just buy them and ride them?

GSA - awesome. 1200 Enduro - awesome. And of course the list goes on, but its just what’s makes you happy. I have loved my 2010 Multi, and it has managed fine on the gravel and unimproved roads, without missing a beat. But the Enduro improved on the fire road type riding/touring in a great way, without sacrificing much on the pavement. You do give up a little on the pavement, but not much, and you gain the 8 gal tank (wow, so nice to not really think as much about range anymore), and of course ripping up and down my gravel roads at home, and on my tours now just feels normal rather than like I’m abusing the bike.
    Congrats on the new machine.
    bobw, EJbeastie and 18415 like this.
  10. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto on what GMC28 is saying. I have no interest in buying a multi. But I do enjoy hearing people’s thoughts on them. I’ve owned a Ducati 1198s and Hypermotard and loved both of them. Amazing bikes.
    bobw likes this.
  11. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
    I picked up a new left over 2016 about a month ago and have out around 1000 miles on it so far. I found myself going down dirt roads on my FZ10 and while I never struggled, it wasn't very fun .O don't feel like I'm giving up anything for the kind of street riding I currently do and I gain the confidence on the dirt roads .

Attached Files:

bobw likes this.
  12. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size wheels does the Endro come with, how would 2 sets of wheels work? I set of 18s or 17s for road use?
  13. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It comes with a 17 rear and 19 front. That's a pretty good mix of decent on road, and capable enough off road for the type of terrain you'd be willing to tackle with a bike that huge. It's a big bike. As big as a GSA, and heavier, so it's not like you're going to supercross it. A 21" front wheel isn't the deciding factor off road. Gravity and common sense are.
  14. Vince

Vince Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So its definitely middle of the road for usability then, how is tyre availability with a 19 front. Is that the usual size for Dual purpose similar bikes. The KTM and BMW models with similar uses.
  15. Lmoe

Lmoe n00b

Oddometer:
    '16 MTSE here....nothing but love for Ducati! Commute, tour, spirited twisty mountain rides, off-road...covers it all. Best advice...continuing education and practice to retain our perishable riding skills; turns us into operators vice riders no matter what motorcycle we consider.
    EJbeastie likes this.
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own 2 Ducatis and test rode the MTS Enduro. What shocked me was the weight. Granted the demo bike had the hard boxes mounted but it still felt/rode heavier than my Guzzi Stelvio which I rode to the demo ride which really surprised me. I have ridden several Multis and find them much lighter feeling and was anticipating a similar kinda light feel.

I also think I'd be more interested in a smaller version, maybe the 950???

I ended up buying my Desert Sled which I like quite a bit.

Dunno, if I were to buy a larger ADV bike with real off-rode intensions I think I'd end up with a KTM 1090R.
    bobw and multistraddler like this.
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Heading to Alaska this summer on my MTSE. I cannot imagine a better machine to take on that trip.
    bobw, black 8, EJbeastie and 2 others like this.
  18. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you mean single and double track trails or do you mean off pavement?
  19. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my MTSE for 2 years now, only been able put 8,500 miles on her so far. Crazy work schedule. Done a couple of 500 mile days, no problems at all. Makes for a great fun all round bike. Positives out weigh the negatives for sure. I just think that BMW has such a huge market share for this type of vehicle. The looks really grow on you after a while. It's more of a buy with your heart then head type of bike. Enjoy, life is short, sometimes you just have to go with your heart.
    bobw likes this.
  20. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    So how''s the new bike? any updates or pics?