1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the 2nd hand bike shortage in shops?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Admin person for the local Beta / Sherco dealer was visibly stressed the other day, from taking orders for new bikes - quiet little dealership has gone berserk ...

So much for the recession ...

But good that there will soon be a million Shercos and Betas in local circulation ...
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    last week a WR was advertised as “Barn Find” :imaposer:imaposer

This guy has been dreaming for about a month now, I don't think he's lubed the chain since 2015 either

F9A3C134-21C9-4E77-9B1E-AD4AEE3CCFF8.png
  3. breil

breil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t think that model Yam is that popular. Moorooka KTM has no 300excs Husky shop down the road has plenty of 300s . KTMs are more popular
  4. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    some how I don’t quite buy that theory

874FE399-F5E2-464C-8BE0-9841BAE343AA.jpeg
    flinders_72 likes this.
  5. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got an email from Bunbury KTM re 2021 KTM's. They arrive in a few months and you have to sign a pre-order contract to get one. Is that standard KTM dealer practice or due to the shortage/high demand or superannuation withdrawals?
  6. Captaindean

Captaindean Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Snapper likes this.
  7. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a couple of Michelin Road 5s fitted on the Racer today.

Bike shop said they could have sold 50 used enduro/trail bikes in the last few weeks if they had them. Getting inquiries every day for them but all the ones they had are long sold - some without even an inspection.
    Cruz likes this.
  8. simmy

simmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are dealers having trouble getting new bikes in too?

Anyone know how disrupted the bike factories were this year due to COVID?
  9. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    many models yes, not long ago Yamaha aus announced they were right out of their high selling kids/fun range

teneres lost about a month in France and Japan

spare parts from japan have big delays, shops have bikes sitting there unrepairable
    simmy likes this.
  10. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Dalby moto is is almost cleaned out, another smaller shop close by that always has few second handlers and 3 or 4 new farm bikes only has a scooter on the floor :jjen
  11. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will never buy new again, you just lose way too much money. March I bought a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 with 9300 km on it, lots of goodies on it, for $11,000 delivered to my door. That's around half the price of a new one.

June or July I bought a DR650 for $2,200. There are bargains to be had.
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I haven't bought a new one since I was 17 years old. That's 48 years in between new ones.

If you intend to keep them (as I tend to do) a new purchase isn't actually such a bad thing, and can be a far better bet than buying used in some cases. But if you change bikes every couple of years or tend to go through a few then it is indeed a great way to lose money - fast.
    Cruz likes this.
  13. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given there seems to be far more demand than available new bikes, I think that's really a case of the dealer wanting written confirmation from you that you're serious about purchasing and securing your place in the queue. If you think that you'll be able to walk in and just buy a new 2021 off the floor you'll be disappointed, at least for the next 6 months?
    That said, I don't think they'd hold you to it... I know of a bloke who cancelled his order on a 790 rally, no problems, and the bike was snapped up by the next person in waiting.
    0405canvet likes this.
  14. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    cars.

given new cars have slowed now, bikes new prob have too. Maybe the second hand rought is almost over

“Nationally, 72,505 vehicles were sold during the month, and this represents a decrease of 12.8 per cent on July 2019, when sales totalled 83,184,” Mr Weber said.

“On a year to date basis, there were 514,920 vehicles sold to 31st July 2020, which represents a decrease of 19.2 per cent on the same period in 2019, when sales totalled 637,650 vehicles.”
  15. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    One of the biggest reasons for the bigger than normal downturn of new cars is unavailable stock. Big sellers like Hilux's have empty showrooms and large waiting lists. Most brands and models are the same. If and when stock arrives this trend should reverse. A mate who is a buyer for one of the largest wholesaler's and also has his own yard tells me used stock is almost impossible to get also. In March/April he was telling me nothing was selling and prices way down, now it is the opposite. Go figure.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The real interest in those figures would be the totals for the personal buyer over the business buyer. Businesses have been hit really hard this year.
  17. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    It is surprising the differences in business responses to this pandemic environment. Of the dozens of businesses I have spoken to around 70 to 80% are telling me they are doing record or near record sales. Talking to the reps that see a lot more than me they are telling me their responses are the same. The remainder are devastated, it is such a contrast. A lot of the business purchases, especially big dollar purchases like motor vehicles, is due to the increased instant tax write off limit which has now been extended to the end of the year. With the increased turnover comes increased profit so the extra deductions are welcome and is spreading some money around other businesses so it is one stimulus measure that is working correctly.
    Reduke and Cruz like this.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm keen to buy another full sized enduro late spring / summer

It'll be interesting to see what's available

And what sort deals there are

Have to be a bit crazy (or crazy wealthy) to be buying anything at present
  19. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    From today's The Australian (29/8/2020 by Lachlan Moffet Gray)

20. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Yep, as usual, it's the businesses that are rorting the system, not the workers.

Read further:
    The company also managed to reduce its cost base, motivated by an initial sales drop at the start of the pandemic. “We were able to expand the network, reduce costs extensively across the group, and significantly grow our underlying EBITDA and profit after tax for the year,” Mr Ahmet said.

In other words, they reduced costs by laying off all their sales staff, and then when bikes started to sell again, brought back the sales staff with their salaries paid for by jobseeker.

...... and we wonder why business owners get a bad name? :hmmmmm :(