Why the 2nd hand bike shortage in shops?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Jun 20, 2020.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    you need a french accent when you say that

2. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a fab fire in Japan which knobbled some critical automotive IC production.

Automotive (ie: 12V) fab process is nothing like your PC CPU which is different again from other generic logic running at 3V, which is different again from analog stuff.. fabs focus on different technologies, and aren't cross-fab compatible, so supply will mostly be single-source. A fab problem quickly ripples through IC vendor, who has no alternative source, then onto the car manufacturer, who can't quickly redesign his circuit board for a different part.
  3. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PBee, Ron50, Ducksbane and 1 other person like this.
  4. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The car manus are actually reducing features in their vehicles to alleviate some of the demand.
  5. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    No doubt the ABC's inability to do editing, proof reading or to report actual facts is a result of the effects of climate change.
    DOT, Mouse, flinders_72 and 3 others like this.
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    oui, oui... oh I see... so you are to say eet ees a "ship shortage" n'est-ce pas? :lol2 excuse mois... eye deed not onderstand ee's fonny acsont... :rofl

upload_2021-5-7_8-30-57.jpeg

[​IMG]

Another beer please likes this.
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also didn't realise the Egyptians held the Evergreen after it was unstucked, spose that has what has caused the biggest delay

8. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
  9. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yup, same with my Softail... Now casually looking around but don't really want the new bike service dealer careless mechanics hassle, so its the ol vstrom for a while or maybe till death do part...
  11. numbat

numbat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you believe that? Or did you read it in 'The Telegraph'?
    Simosez and Turumarth like this.
  12. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    920D4814-C8EC-4FDE-8E76-F615E1AD2D46.jpeg I stopped in to Sunstate at Maroochydore yesterday. I don’t imagine that it is a huge dealership?
    There is no shortage of new bikes there. All the Ducati’s were there, the front of the shop had a heap of Japanese bikes and over the Triumph side they had all the colours of V85tts, all the different Tiger Rally’s including 900 & 850, 4 or 5 Rocket 3s, Scramblers and just a tonne of other stuff.
    Even a Hypermotard 950 SP.
  13. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    April was a tough month for allocations amongst Harley dealers.

Umm we did have a virus and a bit lockdown going on and from what I understand their lockdown wasn’t as generous as ours. Didn’t somebody report welders being used?

heard a whisper in May/June from an oz wholesaler - who is in equal partnership with his Taiwanese manufacturer - that his lead time for inbound went overnight from 2 months to 7 months.

The products are relatively low tech and high volume. Understand part of the headache was freight bottlenecks everywhere.

He also made passing mention that Ford america at that time had 80k assembled cars gathering dust waiting on chips and they’d shut down their line for lack of space.

old news of course but interesting times.

As for pushbikes…

I’m not holding my breath waiting for the roof to cave in, inflation is knocking.
  14. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    lol this is the Author:
    Madeleine Morris is News Breakfast's finance presenter. Previously she was a Melbourne-based reporter for 7.30, and worked for the BBC in London for 11 years as an international reporter and presenter. She is the author of parenting guide Guilt-Free Bottle-Feeding. You can follow her on Twitter at @Mad_Morris

ffs I'm guessing her top shelf was a tad bare with such a book. At least something was fulfilling. Perhaps it's a case of 'Placenta Brain'
  15. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably just depends what you're after. Not a T7 on a showroom floor anywhere, or so the bookface buyers are saying. Aug-Sep is the consensus from memory.
  16. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all the Adv bikes in high demand , like DR's and T7 's are order and wait a month or 2 . 2 of my mates have bought new Dr's in the past couple of months and had a 4 - 6 week wait for delivery . Pretty much the same thing I experienced when I ordered my WR 250 F back in January . Seeing Yamaha Aust is located in the current lockdown zone in NSW things might slow down even more for the tuning fork buyers . Brisons MC in Islington (Newcastle) has that many used bikes out the front it is hard to get through the front door without tripping over one .
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  17. wozzamatta

wozzamatta Is it new bike time yet

Oddometer:
    Actually in my case the current situation has probably worked against the bike (and car) manufacturers.

With no new bike available to buy I've spent money on my existing 2 bikes (probably too much) and with repeated lockdowns and border closures I'm not doing the interstate kms I would normally be doing so there is just no point looking at new bikes.
  18. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting how the sales of bikes has changed from last year. Today I counted 37 500 EXC/EXCF bikes for sale in Bikesales yet last year there would have been less than 10. Theres no way the crazy prices can stay high.
  19. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely some bike categories coming down. Adv bikes still a little scarce
  20. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still laugh everytime I see the $14k DR on gumtree. Going on 5 weeks now I think.
    Dukehunt likes this.