Why the 800GS and Not the 990, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 27rich, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    I think you have stepped into a room full of sober drunks and asked who wants a drink.

I am picking .... with my eyes closed ... hands tied behind my back that the F8 will get all the ticks :rofl
  2. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    Both are great bikes and you won't go wrong with either one, but even though I'm a BMW guy I would get the KTM. It's a sexier machine to me and is more capable and fun to ride. I've owned a couple 990's and they never let me down. There may be certain practical reasons why the BMW might be the better choice but when you ride that 990 you'll forget all about it and nothing else will matter.

I believe letting the heart decide bike purchases works best.
  3. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Apostolos

Apostolos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That KTM looks great. It looks totally ready for the dirt and it's a sharp looking bike.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I don't know anything about KTMs, but based on looks alone it seems like a more serious machine for off-roading.<o:p></o:p>
    I have a 2010 800gs and I'm happy with it for the needs I have (about 40/60 off/on road daily commute bike. <o:p></o:p>
    It looks like the KTM might be a little heavier than the GS, which would be a factor for me in the decision, and just by the picture alone, is looks like it might not handle the twisties as good as the GS.<o:p></o:p>
    I live in the mountains and I feel like I can aggressively carve the twisties with my GS. In the almost year that I've owned my GS, I've never been on a straight road for any protracted period of time. It's been dirt or twisties.<o:p></o:p>
    Also, service is a big factor for me. I have a BMW dealership about an hour away and it nice to have parts and service readily available. <o:p></o:p>
    If I had to buy one bike based on looks alone with the two options you have, KTM would be my choice easy.<o:p></o:p>
    God Bless,<o:p></o:p>
    David<o:p></o:p>
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing how many.... Ehhhh... I`m thinking bout the Toom vs. the 8gs" there have been lately......:clap:clap

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. machalooney

machalooney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy both!
  7. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I don't care what you get, grneggz. Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

I purchased a dealer demo 2010 model. And it looked like it had been ridden hard and put up wet. Don't think the dealer pulled much maintenance on it either. Just sayin...

The only problem I've had is a bad rear wheel bearing which I detected earlier and replaced (all of them with much better SKF bearings). No other problems...none...nada....at least not in 6,000 miles. Maintenance is a breeze on this bike, once you get a good set of torx wrenches and figure out the routine. WAY WAY easier than wrenching on my 950. My 950 had lots of "issues" to deal with. So far, the F8 has been much less a hassle for me. I just push the magic button and ride.....occasionally gas it up. The mpg is fantastic (my avg is 53 mpg) for an 800cc twin.

HF :thumbup

p.s. The downside.....I've spent much more money farkling this bike than others. :lol3 She's a keeper!
  8. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

HighFive, I'm really relieved that you don't care. I was concerned you were gonna tell me what I can and can't do with my own money. :D

Anyhow, Thanks for your input. You seem to be confident in the F800 and it seems that most of the other responses to this thread are positive in favor of the F800 being a reliable bike. This answers my question and I appreciate it.
  9. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a tip from the Harley folks. If the brand of the bike has an effect on your dick size, buy it. Dave
  10. yety61

yety61 Global Vagabond

Oddometer:
    KTM:
    Lack of feeling from the front end.
    Heavy.
    Tall.
    Wide turning circle.
    Maintenance is a fucking BITCH.
    Extremely jerky throttle. (no factory fix available)
    POOR fuel mpg.
    Tyre consumption is horrendous.

BMW:
    Handles everything with ease.
    20kg approx lighter than KTM, feels like 50kgs.
    Feels much smaller.
    Decent turning circle.
    Maintenance is a breeze, easy and straight forward.
    Relatively smoothe throttle.
    Brilliant fuel mpg.
    Tyre consumption is reasonable.

In the end it's your money to spend, so buy whatever gives you tingles. But, remember that the time spent in the shed fucking around doing service, sorting out suspension and fixing the throttle on the KTM could be better spent riding the BMW and enjoying youself.

All of the above is from personal experience having owned a 990ADV, which was sold within 3 months of buying it, then buying an F800GS. So far, after 2 months and 3000km's with the BMW every time I go anywhere I'd rather take the bike than drive, and that's the first time in a long time I've felt that way. :D
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

This is a paradigm of the art of objective bike comparison! :lol3
    Carry on! :ear
  12. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    What the hell do you guys want?... At least he said he owned both of them!

Here is my comparison:

The 990 sucks just because orange isn't my favorite color.

The 800 rules just because it looks like an attack helicopter!

On the serious side... both of them can do the Trans-Am trail. I know because I have ridden the F8 on the harder part in Colorado and I saw two other guys loaded down with tons of gear do the same! I think the F8 has been well documented doing the whole trail with ease.
  13. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does the fact that you currently own several BMW's compensate for your dick size? :lol3
  14. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    dude...... a KLR will blow either one of those away...:D

Ive ridden both, but owned neither.... They both are big and fast and awsome, can't go wrong with either one!
  15. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the last 4 months I have been debating between the 800GS and a KTM 950 Super Enduro, a few left at dealers. Lately the winds are blowing towards the BMW, service, warranty, mild mannered, etc. But a part of me leans toward the KTM, the hooligan in me wants to come out a little. I am looking for a bike to ride (terrorize) the gravel roads of Michigan. I have posted the same question some months ago on the KTM page with good and generally unbiased input. Actually got a good PM cautioning me of the power of the KTM and how it may get you in over your head, depending on skill level. A consideration for me at 51 years of age.

I have been booring the wife with this question and she did not appreciate the comment to buy both.:clap

In short the practical person in me say BMW. My alter ego says KTM. The BMW dealer is 15 minutes away, the only KTM Twin Dealer in the state is over two hours away.

Keep us posted which way you go

Paul
  16. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I've got some exhaust and fuel mapping mods but my F8 spanks it at any speed. It is quite rare I can go WFO on a gravel road and not spin the rear. The power is quite scary especially when I'm cornering in gravel...

Just as Chris (child on advrider) who rides with me sometimes, he says the rear tire barely ever stops slipping on my bike (probably why I get 3k miles out of a K60 when everyone else gets 8-10k). :evil
  17. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    +1

I know the 950 has more power than the 800, but we are still talking 85 horsepower at the rear wheel, its not as though a lot of people can use all that off bitumen. Off road I might be worried about the bikes height, weight and suspension, but I don't ever remember thinking "If only I had some more power!" :lol3

On the other hand the 800GS is more like the 990 Adventure than the 950SE. If you really want a giant dirt bike and not an adventure tourer maybe you should get the KTM. The SE will be better offroad, but the GS has more fuel range, more comfort, carries more stuff and has more options for it. Personally, if I thought I wanted a 950SE I would probably have a 690 instead.
  18. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

I was on the F800 vs SE wagon and bought the latter, after riding extensively the first. There are a few misconceptions on this comparison.
    Firstly, the SE is the bike to compare with the 800, not the adv. Both are naked giant enduro bikes. The 950/990 adv have better touring abilities than both, more plastic and better wind protection.

Now lets talk about 800 vs SE.

1)Comfort
    Three things make a bike comfortable, the seat, the wind and the riding position. The seat on the SE is miles better than that of the 800, it is wider and better cushioned for the long hall. The 800 has better wind protection but you can add a small screen on the SE and become even. You can even add a rally fairing for less cost than upgrading the fork internals on the 800. The SE has a lot more spacious riding position. You can move forward and you can move back. No contest.

2)Engine
    The 800 is more linear and 'better behaving' for the unsuspected dude. It also burns 10-20% less. But for little money you can add a 2-1 exhaust on the SE to take back linearity if you wish so.

3)Suspension
    Night and day better the Katoom. At most you will need to change springs and play with oil weight on the SE to make suit.

4)Range
    The 800 wins, but there are solutions for the SE to add range at less cost than the solutions for the 800.

5)Reliability. Whatever you want to believe. Fact is though that ktm parts cost far less than bmw parts and the katoom being carbed is simpler and much easier to fix on the field.

6)Wheels
    The SE has offroad rims, the 800 has DS rims. The DID katoom rims are creme de la creme though and take infinite abuse, the 800 not. Of course you can lace different rims to either to make suit.

7)Issues
    I will only speak for the SE. Fuel pump, water pump and clutch slave cylinder. None of these will leave you stranded. 200eu will solve once and for all the fuel pump and slave cylinder issues and expect to replace the water pump every 30,000km at a cost of 150eu in parts.

8)Handling
    You have to know your clickers with the SE, but once you learn you are endowed with a dirt bike which turns like a super moto on the street and like an mx off-road. It is that good. The 800 does the same with less grace and more effort. It is not bad, but in comparison lacks in fun factor and everything happens slower.

My point.
    If you are a farkler, then the SE is the better bike, because you can tune it to your intended use at less total cost than the 800. Off the crate it has more power, it is a lot lighter (50lbs) and has much better suspension than the 800. The SE is the perfect platform to build your dream DS ride (if you have such a dream). The 800 will remain a better two-up taking it easy bike, as it has a longer and more spacious seat for your pillion.
    If you are representative of the 'buy and just ride' end of the market, then DONT buy the SE!
  19. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mousitsas, the 950SE is actually heavier than the F8 - not 50lbs lighter. The range on the 950SE is simply not adequate for any sort of adventure riding, and would need to be fixed as you point out. The range on the F8 is at the low end of acceptable. I think a better comparison with the 950SE would be the HP2E which is the normal comparo you see in the rags.
  20. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    No, he has it right, the F8 has about 45 lbs more. We are talking actual weight, and not what the manufacturers are claiming.

The available tank options for the SE are also much nicer, the ADVtank doesn't add any weight when combined with a 2-1 Ti exhaust and the Safari tank has a lot slimmer profile between the knees than the Touratech F8 monstrosity.