Why the difference between off and on-road helmets?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Apr 12, 2009.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Why do "off-road" helmets look the way they do? I've always wondered about this -- is there some functionality to the design? I can understand that on-road helmets are probably much more aerodynamic, but why make off-road helmets that much LESS aerodynamic?
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off-road helmets are designed to be used with goggles and allow more air flow.

Street helmets are typically quieter and have more protection from the elements.
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    air flow, goggles, and a hell of a lot of sweat.
  4. Old Nubbins

Old Nubbins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Extra structure on the chin helps out when you smash your face on the handlebars.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  5. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    I went from an offroad helmet to an Arai XD3. The Arai is much nicer at speeds than my old HJC. But turn your head with either and you know the beaks there. I don't like riding with my dads street helmet without the beak to block sunlight though.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  6. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I removed the beak from my XD when I bought it. In fact, I'm not even sure where it is now.. just doesn't work at freeway speeds.
  7. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    What they said.

To make the difference clear just try wearing the wrong one for the job. It will become obvious pretty quickly.

Go out on your bike sometime this summer (say July/August timeframe) with a street helmet... ride through some challenging off road terrain where your body is getting an insane workout just from the effort of the ride, but you can only go 10-15mph. That will make you understand what a dirt helmet is for. Street helmets just can't scoop in enough air.

Then take that dirt helmet and hit the highway at 80mph. You'll quickly realize what street helmets are for.

Personally, I wear my dirt helmet 90% of the time just because it's more comfortable. I'm used to on the road and it doesn't bother me unless it's really windy or if I get over 70mph... but I try to stay off the highway so I rarely get over 60 for any long stretch of time.
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ther visor on an offroad helmet is awesome for keeping roost and sun out of your eyes on the trail. Also, goggles are 10,000x better in dust than a full face street helmet. And the air flow plus washable padding are a must when you are working hard offroad and sweating.

But that same visor that works so well offroad sucks at highways speeds. And rain at highways speeds is absolute, pure, unmitigated hell in an offroad helmet. So is cold. And the padding and chin bar in my street helmet look way safer for high speed impacts than what my offroad helmet offers.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I was going to say the same thing, almost to the word. I use my MX helmet for a lot of road use on hot days, just way more air flow. The visor is a plus too when the sun is bright or low on the horizon. :clap
  10. Motorrad Steve

Motorrad Steve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think for what they are designed for. Off-road for off-road and street for street.
  11. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    :norton Thanks Captain Obvious! :lol3
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    It had to be said.... :ear
  13. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 - It takes only one off road ride in a street helmet during hot weather to make one realize that won't work. I wear my Snell/DOT off road helmet 100% of the time that I am on my DR, except for the winter, when I wear my full face street helmet. In hot weather, I prefer the off road helmet and goggles for street riding. Much better air flow than any full face helmet. Except for solo off road winter riding, my street helmet is useless off road due to heat build up and dust getting inside the visor.
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    So the huge chin thing is to flow more air?
  15. Motorrad Steve

Motorrad Steve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Captain" I work for a living.
  16. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    :huh
  17. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    That and the open face. I basically wear my Snell&DOT approved off road helmet anytime its hot enough to wear my mesh jacket. It helps considerably.
  18. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    Field of view is greater w/ off road.
  19. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The visor or bill lets you deflect branches from your face by tipping your head downward a bit.
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    and more breathing room