Why the F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by eal1284, Jan 31, 2010.

1. eal1284

eal1284 n00b

Oddometer:
    First off, I think that the F800GS is about the sweetest looking machine out there! But can anyone help me justify selling a KLR to buy a F800? At three times the cost, what real advantages does the Beamer offer over the Kawi? Is ther anything that I can do on the F800GS that absolutely cant be done on the KLR650?

Maybe this would be a great place to start listing the reasons everyone loves the F800GS over other types of bikes! Help me build an arsenal of reasons to buy one, you know, to smooth it over with the wife.

Thanks all.
  2. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Three times the cost??

Kawasaki.com lists 2010 KLR base price at $5,999

BMW Motorcycles US: Base MSRP: $11,395.00. Standard Package: $12,900.00
  3. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    Do what I did. Get the wife one as well. :thumb

The KLR 650 looks like a fine bike. Why are you looking elsewhere?
  4. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Because it's a BMW.

It will have more power on the road, run smoother and have less range so you can stop sooner.
  5. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    take one for a ride... then you'll have all the justification you need....:D

(i was pretty much set on a KLR last year, then i saw a f800gs out on the road and thought 'what the hell is that?!', damn sexy lookin bike.. so i took one for a spin, the rest is history.......)

6. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own both bikes, so here goes
    Yes the KLR will go any place the F800 will go, but you can go faster with the BMW in rougher terrain because of the better suspension.

F800 has twice the power, better stock suspension, better fuel economy, better build quality.

The KLR is really average in those catagories, but IMHO does just fine.

BMW has a much longer warranty ( 3 years 36k miles)

Spend a grand on suspension for the KLR and you will have vastly improved bike.
    You could spend $10,000 on the KLR and never have a bike as refined or as powerfull as the F800

Both bikes work for me, one is just nicer:D

Is the BMW worth the money? ............ only you can decide that!

By the way, my 09 KLR as a very smooth motor

Good luck to you
    Glen
  7. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    +1

My whole reasoning for getting an F800GS over the Strom...

:deal
  8. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    You can ride a KLR across Canada. Much more fun on a F800.
    You can watch a KLR slide down a gravel road on it's side and laugh. Much less fun on an F800. I miss the carefree KLR days when I could see my buddy drop my bike and stand there giggling. Don't miss riding it long distances much though.
  9. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Dude... my friends and I went out to a local off road park a while ago with a guy on a new to him KLR. One hour into the ride after a couple minor falls more shit fell off that KLR than we knew what to do with. His rear brake lever was gone from a tip over at a dead stop. None of us were laughing but we felt sorry for the guy he had to go home early and none of us broke anything that day even from more dangerous spills.
  10. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    IMHO, motorcycles should speak to you in some way. I've owned both, but I never loved the KLR. I love my GS. Whichever one says "buy me", get that one.

There is nothing one bike can do that the other can't (except for top speed, but that doesn't really count), though the only two things the KLR has on the GS are range and price.
  11. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Loctite is the KLR owners friend. :D Lost a few bolts on they 2 KLRs I owned if I slacked off on checking things for tightness.

12. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    • Unless paying cash, you can have bike payments!
    • Feel more secure with higher insurance premiums!
    • Impressive, over-priced farkles make you the focus at Starbucks or during your one-time trip to Moab!
    • The warranty means you can be without your bike longer at little to no cost to you!
  13. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Had a KLR

Have a GS

The GS trumps the KLR at just about every conceivable level.

GS = better/significantly more powerful motor, better suspension, better handling, better build quality, better dirt manners, better on pavement.

No doo and and a whole lot less oil consumption.

I loved the soul of the KLR

I'm still trying to find the soul of the GS
  14. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep the KLR or buy a V/Wee Strom then you can make bitter, jealous and insecure posts about why its so much better than an F800GS and why you'd never buy a BMW. :loco

Buy the F800GS and get laid more often (no, not really, I can't substantiate that) :lol3

Seriously though, the differences between the two are vast. I have a great deal of respect for the KLR. Its a great bike, well proven, rugged and functional and all for a bargain price. That said, I personally would always choose the F800GS over it because it is a better machine for me and for what I want to use it for. Yes it cost a lot more, but so what; I can't take it with me, or so I'm told. I don't care about looking cool and having the hottest bike, (OK I do a little :wink: ), I just want the best I can afford and that for me is the F800GS. Ilike having more HP, I like having all the whizzy gizmos, I like the functionality that all the expensive farkles add, and I like the additional creature comfort all those things deliver.

So if you want one and can afford one, then go for it. Or keep the KLR and enjoy riding it. At the end of the day, both bikes will do the same job, just differently.
  15. reinerka

reinerka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've traded a KLR650 (my wife's KLR that is) for the F800GS.

The KLR650 can best be described as the only available disposable motorcycle offered in the US. It is cheap and you won't worry about scratches, dents, etc

Now the F800GS has the sufficient power to go anywhere on any road. The KLR is underpowered (try flowing with trafic on the Interstate in the western states - you will be frequently passed by 18 wheelers as you're considered a road bloack).

The KLR650 can be modified cheaply to upgrade anything where Kawasaki has saved a few pennys. The F800GS can be taken stock where you need to spend those $$$ on the KLR.

Range is better on the KLR (300+ miles) if you take it nice and slow. If you're riding the freeway gas stations will be your best friend quickly (to fuel and fill up the oil as with high revs it likes to add oil to its fuel consumption). The F800GS has better mpg but is limited by its (too) small gas tank.

I could go on and on about pros and cons of each. Drive each of them and you will understand the difference. If you decide to go with the KLR let me know as I have one for sale......

Reiner
  16. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    You could always split the difference with an F650GS. That's the 800 twin model that checks in about 2K less than the F800FG
  17. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

The F800wussatusay? :lol3
  18. superhawkrider

superhawkrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my new 2010 lava orange 800gs middle of last week. I have a red 08 klr also. The 800 is incredible compared to my klr. More power, better brakes, better suspension, equals better ride. I loved riding my klr, but having to make a very aggressive manuever to keep from being hit head on this summer while riding my RT made me start thinking about handling. My klr is a great slow speed dirt road explorer(and some roads that are now trails), but aggressive moves upset the suspension and frame. If I was on my klr and had to avoid the truck head on, I may have avoided the truck, but doubt I would have recovered after the aggressive manuever. The klr hauled me to the Arctic Circle, up the Dempster highway, and all over the Olympic mountains giving me great memories. Now I get to do it all over on a much better handling (safer) bike.
    Having to sell my not so old farkled out klr because I can't talk my wife, or myself, into having two big dualsports. I will be sad to see her go(the klr that is:cry ), but it will be fun to start farkling and making new memories on the 800gs. So the point of this story is to use SAFETY as the excuse for your wife and you only need to use your heart for yourself. Life is to short to ride a bike just because it gets good reviews, ride the bike that makes you happy riding it and just standing there looking at it. :lol3 I will STFU now. Have fun riding!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    I agree with most of what you said except the fuel economy. Look at my sig as I own both of them and I can tell you that the KLR gets just as good if not the exact MPG as the F8 but where it differs is the KLR has a larger tank and more range by a gun shot!
    Everything else Yes! Motor is night and day compared to the KLR. Better response, power, acceleration and way more fun!
    Suspension is far better and handles offroad better but is still soft and needs upgrading. It is however a little heavier and you notice it at slower speeds in more technical terrain. Once you start riding the F8 you will neglect the KLR....Trust me. Once I got a couple thousand KM's on the F8 I went for a ride on the KLR for an offroad excursion and turn back home after 30 kms to get the F8. No comparison anymore for me in Comfort, fun and just about everything else. The only thing I think the F8 lacks is hwy wind coverage as you sit higher on the bike so if you're a bigger fella then it hits you in the chest so the stock windscreen will do you no justice at all! I can't ride the KLR more than an hour without being totally uncomfortable whereas the F8 is much better. Power on the hwy for passing is no comparison IMHO and that's where the KLR falls short but there is a engine kit for it in either the 680 or 720 I think which will make a difference...

Warranty won't make much difference as the F8 so far has few issues nor does the KLR and for the most part are both reliable as hell. You can sink a few thousand $$$$ on the KLR and make it a really good bike for power and comfort but I don't think it would be as much fun as the F8.....
    For me the F8 was well worth the money and would do it again in a heartbeat.
  20. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience was a little different concerning fuel mileage.
    On the highway @ 70 mph I get around 54 mpg according to the gps odo
    KLR gets about 42-44 at those speeds (09 KLR 4000 miles)

I find the KLR easier to ride off road in difficult 2 trac or single trac because of the smooth tractor like throttle rersponse.
    The F800 has a very snatchy throttle off idle that for me makes it more difficult to controll smoothly on bumpy rocky trails.

The F8 is still more fun:D
    Glen