1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

why use a Montana 680t rather than a Zumo 396LMT off road?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by randingo, Nov 12, 2019.

1. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out Open Street Maps, the maps are free and routable & much better than City Navigator on-road and off. Also, I don't use Garmin's powered mount. I use the Garmin USB Power Cable wired to the bike along with a RAM mount instead.
    randingo likes this.
  2. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    The 365 doesn’t charge for shit via USB
    Is the Montana better via USB?
  3. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    I’m kinda think’n that I want the powered Montana mount that uses the Ram mount, using SAE plugs on all my bikes, as that might be more rugged than USB. I’ve been USB cables to power old IPhones mounted on the handle bars, using Osmand, for a while and they just don’t hold up well.
  4. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya dude, charges up nice & quick (miniUSB). :thumb
    randingo likes this.
  5. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used the Touratech/Garmin mount for both. It charges/charged both the 600 and 396 with no problem.

The two of them on the bike with the powered mount for the 600:
    TwoGPSs.jpg

The final setup for the 396 with the powered mount: TankBag&GPS.jpg
  6. baiku

baiku Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer:
    I've had that setup on my WR for years and like it a lot. The mount lets you pop the GPS off and take it with you when the bike is parked. Saves wear on the mini USB connector too.
    randingo likes this.
  7. gzrglyde

gzrglyde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well darn the bad luck, I am more confused than ever it seems! Most of the GPS units I have looked at seem too complicated for what I want, anything with near 200 pages of instructions is way too much, IMHO. I'd just like a GPS that I can download maps to or routes...like a BDR...and follow a road/track. All of the GPS units I have looked at seem to be loaded with extraneous stuff that has no utility to me...like restaurants, gas stations, Walmarts, etc. I am not saying some folks like that stuff, but I can do without it. I don't care about a GPS for riding on highways either, I just want somethign to navigate in the backcountry...
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is about all I use my Montana for. You don't have to use all the features, even though you pay for them.

My approach is to decide what I want to do and then learn how to do it, either by trial and error or videos. I didn't even know there was a manual.

Big Montana forum is an excellent source of information.

For the Montana you first have to learn how to load maps on it. Then load and display your tracks.

Using routes kind of sucks no matter how much time you spend trying to learn how to use them correctly.
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You won't find any without that stuff. Just find the series you want and buy the cheapest one in that series. I like the Zumos because they will do a track or a route and they have settings that are motorcycle specific. I've never looked a an owner's manual BTW.
    wbbnm likes this.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    if you have an Android smartphone, US Topo Maps Pro may be for you. it's really simple.
  11. MatLax

MatLax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly a cellphone and Google maps does the trick most of the time and I track where I'm going with Viewranger in case I need to come back and I'm on tracks that aren't on Google's maps or I'm somewhere where their map isn't up to date (like when I traveled through northern Quebec).