"WHY WE RIDE" Movie

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by toadl, Nov 13, 2013.

1. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got this information from Matt at the ARMCA website and thought it would be worth getting the word out hear also. Southdale AMC 16 in Edina is having a Presale for the movie "Why We Ride." The showing is Monday Dec. 2nd. It looks as if they still need to sell 22 tickets to show the movie.
    It's getting cold and dark, so why not be there. I ready to go but who else is going to be there.:clap

Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxGNI4jpzL4

Why Ride website

http://whyweridefilm.com/

To Pre-buy tickets

http://www.tugg.com/events/6623
  2. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my ticket yesterday. They needed 65 at that time....
  3. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got an email that the threshold was met so this movie is on like Donkey Kong!
  4. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try and ride my DRZ there. Maybe go to Applebees after for half price appetizers. Living Large.:D
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Looks cool! I'll try and make it. Better to ride there even...:vardy Crap, I have to work. Only 10 tickets left!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxGNI4jpzL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SOLD OUT! Just like I figgerd...
  6. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    "

Thanks for sharing your experience with On Any Sunday even though you live in Michigan. I wasn't old enough to see it in Theatres, but I was old enough to experience it on Netflix. I first got the bug when I was about 9 years old. My dad and I were walking down University Ave in Saint Paul and the Hitching Post had a Yellow Suzuki in the window, maybe a RM60. My dad pulled my arm to keep walking, pulling me away as my eyes lusted after that yellow bike:cry. It was a very brief. I'll never forget it.
  7. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    This message below was emailed (from a local guy) to the Madison Motorcycle Club recently. I saw a thread on ADV Central about it scheduling to show in MN (sold out I think), but not yet for Madison. Looks like January 9th at the AMC theater in Fitchburg.
    BUT they need to hit a minimum threshold of ticket reservations to commit to showing it. I went ahead and reserved a couple. Here's the info:

[FONT=&quot]Hello, I thought the club might be interested in this. Not certain if you are familiar with the recent documentary Why We Ride, but I have arranged with AMC and the film organizer a one time showing on January 9th at 7:30. The showing is contingent on the motorcycle community as it will only go through with a minimum number of reserved tickets.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Event info and ticket info:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.tugg.com/events/7094[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Film site:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://whyweridefilm.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the Facebook event with more info:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]https://www.facebook.com/events/4862...ilter=calendar[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please pass the info on to anyone you think would be interested.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Chris[/FONT]
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'll see you there. :D
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    It will probably sell out. Just a hunch. :D
  10. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Several of my friends have just seen this. They said it is a great show!
  11. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking. The showing over in your neck of the woods sold out, right?
  12. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Bump to make sure the threshold is met (although it sure looks like that won't be a problem).
  13. ADWrider

ADWrider AKA Acorn27

Oddometer:
  14. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Merged multiple similar threads
  15. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
  16. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked for the DVD for Christmas. Next January I'll have to have some of you over to see it. I live in Elgin IL.
  17. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  18. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I have the DVD.

I would encourage people to see the movie, as the photography and filming alone is really breathtaking.

However, it focuses on racing far too much.

There isn't as much about Harleys and cruisers as I was afraid of, but for me they left out a significant amount of the motorcycling community.

There were some great insights by a few people interviewed, with some great and impressive stories from "round the world" motorcyclists.

However, the only bike rally they mention is Sturgis - along with the comment "if your a real motorcyclist you HAVE to go to Sturgis (guess I'll never be a real motorcyclist then).

They completely left out any mention of people who ride daily no matter the conditions, long distance riders generally, enthusiasts, different marque rallies, ADV riders and the like.

In my opinion, the film never actually explained "why we ride", although Ted Simon came the closest to answering that.

Mostly it was a collection of stories about racing, or about people who had suffered a major life issue and how motorcycling helped them overcome it.

So, in short, I was disappointed, BUT it was not terrible. I stongly suggest seeing it, because there is bound to be at least some part of it you enjoy, and like I say, great photography.

That's my review. That and five bucks will almost get you a coffee.

I'll likely sell the DVD in the new year.
  19. AJ990R

AJ990R motorcycle guy

Oddometer:
    Review...
    I was a bit disappointed.
    Felt it was very common material/knowledge that was covered to any seasoned rider. Didn't cover much of anything about people who ride daily. They said Bike week(Daytona) was a family event, couldn't disagree more. No trails bikes mentioned:deal, interview after interview about racing

Reccomend if your new to bikes
    Some very good video & photography