Why won't this sell?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by texas123, Jun 27, 2020.

1. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I sold a nicely loaded 2017 GS Rallye for $15,500 about six months ago.. also bought a 2019 1250gsa fully loaded w/ 2 sets of panniers and loads of add on, Nav6 for $23k... so your price seems reasonable.. but of course another $500-$750 off wouldn't hurt it from being sold quicker..

If bike is in good shape, then it's just a matter of time... probably combination of the CV worries, color schema popularity or lack of,.and timing is all.

I will say this since Im in Houston as well. Im not inclined to buy another bike in dead of sunmer... too freaking hot here to enjoy riding it til October anyhow..
    MIKE STH and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. imherefortheride

imherefortheride Rain or shine.

Oddometer:
    Bikes are a luxury item. 90% of people aren't buying, 10% are financing brand new for free.
    SmittyBlackstone and texas123 like this.
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Ironically, many dealers are seeing high volume of used and new bikes being sold.

Like hiking and camping.. riding can be a solo activity so there is a surprising spike in motorbiking interests.

So i wouldnt necessarily so 90%.. are not buying... there's a few active threads here discussing the high activites of bikes being bought / sold...

yes I know... counter intuitive.. but it could also be folks are saying.. life is so short/ unpredictable.. let's ride.. the heck with it... ( which is the camp Im in lol )...
    SmittyBlackstone and Massabusa like this.
  5. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The local dealer sold more bikes last May, breaking their long standing 1984 sales record (350 units). I think this is it, financing is easier than cutting a fat check.
    My brother just bought a ford truck and said payments were exactly the same if you took the $8k discount with 7% vs 0% interest and no discount. He finally realized the hustle. Pay interest up front by loosing a discount, or take the discount with a higher interest rate. Not sure how banks can build these huge skyscrapers by loaning money for free?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Just some advertising editorial advice--

(1) delete the pic of the bike soaking in foam. Adds nothing desirable to the posting. But does add confusion.
    (2) delete the last sentence in Para 1 of Post 1. Again, adds nothing except maybe some kind of caution flag.
    (3) instead of making the mileage a guessing game, put an edit into post #1 with the current mileage as of such-and-such a date. Then keep editing that as you ride it.
    (4) in Post 4 you say "back to stock setup." Are people supposed to know what that means? Remove it. If you have made a change to the "setup", go back up to Post 1 or Post 5 and make changes to accurately describe the bike as it sits today.
    (5) delete Posts 7, 9 and 11. They just add clutter.
    (6) installed new tires on June 10? Put that into Post 1 with the mileage when they were mounted.
  7. Bladerer

Bladerer n00b

Oddometer:
    ^ That +

Also include the list of installed packages and additional options in writing in post one instead of a picture some posts down.

Personally I would make one set of photo’s all taken the same day at one location with good lighting conditions.

You only mentioned you did your first break-in service (fluids) yourself? Why not taken it to a dealer (explain). Also what is the further maintenance status, was it performed in time and was it documented and can it be proven?

I would be suspicious buying such an expensive bike, I would personally want to know why you are selling such a young bike?

All and all a nice bike, price seems ok but the information is scattered, confusing and the pictures seem to have been taken from various trips and occasions.

Good luck with the sell
  8. 150flyer

150flyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Judging by both your description and selected photos, you obviously do not work is sales. There is too much convoluted information that still keeps the reader guessing. The bike smothered in suds can make some potential buyers question your methods of care and maintenance.
  9. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you have the bike advertised? A couple friends of mine had success selling their bikes on Facebook market place, www.cycletrader.com is also a good place to advertise your bike but unlike FB market place there's a fee to post an add. Personally i think your add has way to much information so delete all the unnecessary pictures and dialog and limit your wording to just the facts i.e., price, mileage, condition, accessories, title in hand, payment method and contact information. I'd sell the bike bone stock and advertise your accessories separately, you'll always get more for the accessories if you sell them individually. Check NADA or Kelly Blue Book to see trade-in and retail value for your bike and while the numbers aren't 100% accurate it's a starting point to determine value. Do a search on various BMW dealership webpages and compare your selling price to what dealerships are asking for bikes in similar condition to determine if your asking price is competitive or to high. Perform the same price comparison on cycle trader to see what other private sellers are asking. Personally I think your asking price is a little high. Last but not least consider putting your bike on consignment at a BMW dealership. There's a fee, 10-15%, if the dealership sells it for you but there's still a lot of people that ride that have never heard of Adventure Rider or other motorcycle discussion boards so they will never see your add. Dealerships get a lot of foot traffic coming through their showroom floor so seeing a bike in person may generate more interest than seeing it online. Another plus to putting your bike on consignment is you don't have to deal with tire kickers, scammers, waste time answering stupid questions or low ball offers and the dealership can usually arrange financing for buyers.
    rg sw wa. and bykemike like this.
  10. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's all about Facebook marketplace these days. It is a buyer's market though, expect to get your financial butt kicked big time no matter where you list it.

I used to see my bikes as semi liquid assets . Things have changed .
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Your FM ad here looks more like a Ride Report which distracts from the simple fact that you are selling a GS.

Speaking of simple, keep it simple.

You have only seconds to capture the attention of a prospective buyer with answers to the questions of- What,Where,and How Much before s/he moves on to the next GS for sale.

Some good reasons given here why it may not be selling; of course,most reasonable objections can always be overcome by a lowered price...funny how that works.
    rg sw wa., sieg and bykemike like this.
  12. DerekS

DerekS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh and don’t treat riding in Houston in the summer as a negative. If you don’t want to ride it, why would anyone else?

I live in Houston also and ride every chance I can.

It’s really a beautiful bike; if you “cast it in a different light” with the suggestions above I have faith it will sell.

All things are meant to be!

Derek
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  13. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I think Drone said it pretty well. But 2 things stick out in my mind
    1. Mileage. 21,000 is a stumbling block when you are parting with $ 16,000 big ones.
    2. No TFT. BMW realized this when they offered a free Nav VI to the early '18's that didn't have it.

We just sold an '18 Triple Black ( still highly desirable ) with just 2,300 Starbucks miles, no bags or Nav, with TFT for full KBB retail of $ 18, 500. Didn't make it week on the floor. Several suggestions that might help is are you holder of the title or is their a lien on the bike and can you help with shipping ? I would say that we sell about 30% of our used bikes out of state and can ship a bike anywhere in the US for no more than $ 525, usually a little less. And advertise it on Cycle Trader if you are willing to help with shipping. Good luck.
  14. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with too much info. Keep it simple and basic. Questions will be asked, here, if someone wants something specific.

How important is it to get the last dollar? Willing to wait 6 months or a year to get top dollar or one month so you can move on?

Cycletrader has new ones for $19k so for another $3k you can have a new one. Except where a salesman can work his charms, price is the problem most of the time.
  15. Titleist07

Titleist07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your advertisement isn’t doing you any favors but ultimately it’s the price, IMO. I’m looking frequently for the right LC GSA to come along and there are quite a few newer ones with significantly less miles for the same money. If you want top dollar for it, delete that ad, wash the bike, ride it to a park on a nice day and take photos from all different angles. Re-list it with the new photos and mention only pertinent information about the bike. Anyone seriously looking knows how capable it is and don’t mention it’s too hot to ride in the summer because you’re just discouraging local buyers.
    Rick92040 likes this.
  16. MIKE STH

MIKE STH '19 R1250 GSA HP2 Let's Rock

Oddometer:
    Howdy - I live in Katy as well. Couple thoughts. There are a lot of people in our area switching from HD to BMW, GS's are no longer a unicorn so that is good. It's a pretty bike in good shape, so that's a good thing. Here's my guess, We live right by the Energy Corridor - Oil dropped to nothing and then rebounded, but a LOT of folks were furloughed or laid off. It's picking up, but I wouldn't say there is confidence. You are competing with Wild West and Woodlands (Gulf Coast is pretty far away) for an additional $5k (at ~3%) someone can get a new bike (2019 or one that has been sitting), but your price isn't unreasonable. I think you are ok, but with Corona numbers rising in Houston and the uncertainty of oil, you may have to wait a bit. Hope this helps somewhat. In either case, Howdy Neighbor!
    bykemike likes this.
  17. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of good advice here but I will take exception to the waiting ploy. As time goes by the bike gets older and older, it may need attention, it may gain mileage, tricky approach with things like boats, bikes, horses and houses. Might work well with old coins.

I sell bikes quite a bit, I usually get less than I want and they pay more than they expected but everyone walks away ok, I think that is the definition of a good deal.
  18. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    A lot of the replies here are making me think the average consumer is stupid and impressionable. One thing I've pondered is if I'm too honest and forthcoming when it comes to selling bikes. In my life I've built good relationships acting like this so I feel like selling bikes should have the same tone. Next time I'll just put down the facts and see how things pan out.

Personally I like your listing and pricing. I'm very "function over form" so your transparency is appreciated by me. Unfortunately I'm not in the market to buy a GS right now, but when I get home in November I will be.
    Donkey Hotey and JimVonBaden like this.
  19. Superadv

Superadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would take it if you were closer to North Carolina... damn too far to ride to Houston. Wonder what shipping costs would be?
  20. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can ship in the US for $600-700 from what I’ve priced. If that’s all that separates you from owning the bike I’d bet there’s a deal to found somewhere. 21k miles is nothing and didjusee triple black? That’s a hottie :knary
    JimVonBaden likes this.