Why won't this sell?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by texas123, Jun 27, 2020.

1. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of good advice here. I would agree that simplifying the ad will probably help. Take four or five good quality photos, list the mileage and maintenance history. You can got to https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/z899036 and get a build sheet like this:

WB10A1206JZ899036.PNG
    that you can include with the photos. Mention the additional items (such as the Nav 6) that will be included in the sale. Provide contact information. Once you have a good ad you can cross-post to facebook, cycle trader, and craigslist. It's a nice bike just be patient.
    Titleist07 likes this.
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    I think that you think correctly.

See also Madison Avenue.
  3. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not really about intellect but the overwhelming majority of consumers are impressionable and suffer from short attention span -- meaning they want all the vital information up front or they walk away. If the ad reads like a biography of someone you don't really know you lose interest unless the price is outrageously low. We will stay engaged if it's something we want at an unbelievable price. Barring that, simplify the ad with all critical information in the 1st post. If you want to bump the ad, don't add more information in a later post -- simply edit the 1st post and bump the thread. In the bump indicate what was edited (price, mileage, accessories, etc).

The easier you make it on your potential customers the more likely you will get traction and ultimately the sell.
  4. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    tl/dr
  5. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    Your first problem is that you're at a weird price point. Anyone with $17000 sitting around is capable of buying a new buke, so why would he buy yours? Second, your ad is fine, but if it's not selling you have to lower your price. The AdvRider crowd is a discerning bunch. We know these bikes inside and out, so it's not a matter of a better ad. It's simply price. Your ad is viewed by hundreds of people a day. There is no magic buyer coming out of the woodwork. If you want to sell it, lower the price $200 a week until it sells.
    bykemike, Tenacious B and rg sw wa. like this.
  6. Titleist07

Titleist07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn’t have said it better myself. The more places it’s posted will also increase visibility to potential buyers.
  7. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    I came "close" to buying a GSA online here a few times, but ultimately, the distance to the buyer, travel time involved, cost of traveling, etc., versus buying locally won out. I sort of suspected this early on when I started my search, months ago.

The closest bike I found (GSA 1250 used, late model) was in Canada, still 400+ miles away, but border is closed. Two sellers here had nice machines, but they were within $2k of the price to buy a brand new 2020.

Also, I could not get a trade-in if I dealt with a private seller either, so that was another factor. Had cash to buy new, but if I were to then try and sell my trade-in bike (no reason to keep it) - that is difficult to do here (rural, not close to anything, nobody ever shows up, justforgetaboutit in reality). It was just easier to buy new, get the trade-in, know that I got a zero mile machine, no disappointments (supposedly), take the trade-in "hit", and the new bike "hit", and stay home. So far, so good, satisfied with the bike and the experience. Had not bought a new bike in over 30 years, and this is the first bike that has all the modern electronics.

Those are the reasons I didn't contact you about your bike (but did consider it), because I was definitely looking. I absolutely will not fly either, so that nixed anything that was more then a day or two away. Also, buying a used bike sight unseen isn't my cup of tea either, too many experiences (elsewhere) where sellers claim their machines are in great condition, but really weren't, so having it shipped was also out.

Your market is closer to home, most likely. Draw a big circle for a day's drive, that's your prospective buyers. Not read the posts on this thread, but other forms of advertising can work too.
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO, that the bike lacks TFT limits its market appeal. At this sort of price point, most prefer all the bells & whistles.

BMW discounted several hundred dollars to move the non-TFT bikes. While a few purchasers may still prefer the analog display, my guess is that the gen. market will price in a discount even greater than what BMW originally offered.

And the idea above to drop the asking price $1-200 per week is a sure way to find the right price. Midsummer may be high riding season in some parts of the country, but it's not exactly high season for bike purchases nationwide.

And then there's the plague...
  9. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    :rofl You magnificent smart-ass. :clap
  10. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    You have something that a lot of folks want but can't get since the 2018 models.......a triple black GSA. Capitalize on that. We have people drive in from 500 miles or more to get a particular bike...or we ship it. Advertise it nationally and not just here. We get 5 to 10 requests each morning on bikes we have on cycle trader. Thinking about it, we had 2 guys drive from the Tx / La border to trade a 4 wheel off road thing on a new GSA, then we sent the 4 wheel thing to a broker in Ohio who wanted it. It's a big world.....use it.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd simplify the ad and hold the price. Remove the cool photos you have and replace with driveway photos. Details as others have mentioned for the listing. You can always negotiate the price if/when someone contacts you. At some point, trade-in value plus the amount saved by not having to pay sales tax on a newer bike could get to your reduced price. At that point, it's not worth the bother to sell yourself. Maybe keep the GPS and trade anyway.
  12. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    generally , if a bike doesn't sell within a month with X price , its time to sell at Y price. Repeat if necessary.
  13. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of reasons why a bike won’t sell right now. A general fear of what’s next is one if them.
    That said, it’s really a great time to buy one if you’re looking too.

Now the frozen bike pic doesn’t help either ;)
  14. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Even in the best of times, big bikes are luxury items.
    Without dealer financing, how many expensive bikes would ever be sold?
    Buyers with ready cash may be waiting until the country has been officially re-opened?
    If you have to sell it, lower the price until it becomes an irresistible proposition.
    If you don't have to sell it right now, keep it as a piece of Garage Art until conditions improve.
    Whatever the reality, GLWS.
    Bladerer likes this.