Why you should NOT buy a Ural motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by bokad, May 28, 2012.

1. Billtr96sn

Billtr96sn Flange Furtler

Oddometer:
    Mine is pretty handy off road as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

See anyone else from "The Road Warrior" there?
  3. Schatzman

Schatzman I Saved Latin

Oddometer:
    All of those bikes, in my opinion, are just simply ugly for starters.

Also the terrain shown is open sand with water holes in certain spots. Where I live it is tight trails in the woods with significant mud and large rocks. Having a reverse is important. could you put reverse on an 80's BMW? Sure. It isn't cheap and if something went wrong, you couldn't take it to a local dealer and get parts shipped over night. Riding on wide open trails isn't entertaining to me. This is also leaving out the fact I would never own a BMW made post 1945 to begin with.

There are a lot of people on the forum who are very anti ural. That is their choice. I personally think the new BMW bikes with a fiberglass hack is a waste of money. I think putting a tea cup poodle with goggles on in a hack is idiotic also. Somehow I feel if I made a thread about that it wouldn't be nearly as accepted as a thread bashing Urals. Why start a thread like this in the first place? It was a pathetic attempt at a troll by a disgruntled Ural owner.

Why does anybody care what bike someone rides. If people don't know of the issues Urals have, that is their own fault. I have found a lot of the non ural owners are elitist snobs when it comes to their hacks.

I challenge anyone to find a 2wd with reverse hack setup for 13k or less that isn't a ural. Oh, that also comes with a dealer network and 2 year warranty.

I have been more then happy with my Ural. The company has treated me very well. My bike has had a few issues and Ural resolved them quickly. I have never waited more then a week for a part and repair.

People just need to learn to stop shitting on other peoples rides.
  4. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I just popped out into the garage and checked my head bolt torque and valves. I needed to tighten one bolt and adjust one slightly loose valve. I've been surprised by how little adjusting the valves have needed since about 10k kms or so.

It took about 15 minutes, including cleanup. I bought my Ural expecting frequent repairs and maintenance. I have not been doing nearly as much as I had anticipated.
  5. Thermos

Thermos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Running light burnt out.

Shit, that bulb replacement put me out a whole .50 cents or something. RPOC bulbs.:D

-T
  6. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn

Oddometer:
    Opening line.........."All of those bikes, in my opinion, are just simply ugly for starters."

Closing line..........."People just need to learn to stop shitting on other peoples rides."

Well, yes, Schatzman ????????????????

I guess the problem is not the bikes, but maybe the owners, not unlike a frequent and repeated dogs debate.

Ultimately, someone's ride may not be my cup of tea, but it doesn't mean I'll insult your choice.
  7. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Not just in JM anymore....:lol3
  8. Schatzman

Schatzman I Saved Latin

Oddometer:
    Did I ever say he shouldn't own one? I said it wasn't for me. Did I go out of my way to start a thread calling them pieces of shit. I'm not into fat chicks. Some guys are. To each their own. I could give a flying fuck what anyone else rides. That is the point. I may find the bikes unattractive in several ways, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't own one.
  9. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    If you NEED reverse on a outfit, get a 4wd car. You should never NEED reverse, driven properly you will be fine, also I have never needed 2wd on mine and been on plenty of rough trails with deep thick mud, and on sand.

Please stop deluding yourselves that it is needed, it isn't. It may be nice to have, but you dont need it.
  10. immulmen

immulmen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like them in there own Fugly, utilitarian way. Most of them look home made and that's another +.
    As for Urals I like the old crap [and yes the old ones where crap that the owner had to work to make somewhat reliable].I like the interchangeability of Urals, Dneprs and Changs. I have a Ural with an OHV Chang engine. It is converted to 2WD using a Dnepr clutch arm as the shifter handle for 2WD and part of the steering pamper for the handle mount. I like to use what I have on hand whenever possible. A friend and I put a BMW R80 engine in a Dnepr. Another friend has a Dnepr with a Chang engine with a Ural trany, Ural front forks and disk brakes. I have Ural front brakes and Ural wheels on my Chang with a Dnepr wheel on the sidecar. The Chang has a Boyer electronic ignition for a Brt bike grafted on it to eliminate the points. Short skirt 3 ring pistons that bumped the compression up from 6 to1 to 6.5 to 1.
    30 years ago my brother made a comment to me "You play with those VW beetles like they are Lego's". These are my new Lego's!
    If you think this is bad you should see the comments about someone who rides a different brand of snowmobile. Although, at least in Maine, everyone knows the comments are just for the fun of it. For the record "I once owned an Arctic Cat but I am all better now". And for the record, and this is MY OPINION, snowmobiles, of any brand, are the most unreliable, maintenance intensive machine I have ever owned. [except for my Polaris! "sarcasm"]
    To each his own.
    Chris
    Alexander B likes this.
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a bit silly saying a Ural is the only option for off pavement, anything is possible with enough time and/or money.

There are many options, many will cost far more, far beyond the advantages gained.
    Others costing the same or less than a new Ural will be based on older bikes that are just as likely to have just as many issues depending on luck and the owners mechanical aptitude.
    I'm also willing to bet that the wrench time put into building, tweaking and maintain those rigs far exceeds what will ever be put into the average Ural.

Many choices,

Spend mega bucks beyond many folks means for a top notch custom built rig.

DIY, dedicating hundreds of hours to building a rig if you have the skills and equipment.

Purchase a Ural, service it as required, take advantage of the warranty if needed.

Purchase whatever used rig in your price range comes along.

Make your choice, take your chances, there are no guarantees with any of them.

Sure you are probably more likely to have an issue with a new Ural than any other new bike, but they all come with warranties for a reason. "More likely" is about the percentages of odds, it's not about absolutes. I took a Ducati to the dealer for some warranty work and was told there was a 4 week backlog on warranty work, Does that mean Ducatis are over priced for what you get, and unreliable? No, thats for each owner to decide for themselfs.

Most folks don't have major issues with their Urals, Most folks don't grenade the FD on their BMW. Most Folks don't loose the do-hickey on their KLR. Most folks don't blow the water pump on their KTM, Most folks don't have oil leaks on their Harley. Not all folks have the fuel tank on their Ducati self destruct. The list goes on, are they more likely to have those issues, probably yes, but does that define the brand or guarantee it will happen? No!

Look at the threads about those bikes, there will always be a troll who for whatever reason claims brand X is an overpriced ripoff .The plain and simple truth is everyones experiences are unique, and none speak for everyone or have the right to.

Opinions are opinions. Vote for yourself with your wallet, not for others with judgments.
  12. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    Theres a bet you would lose.

[​IMG]

Total spend including bike and materials, less than $1,000 us, a lot less. I know of plenty more as well. Stop being so insular.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That could be said for sidecars in general.

Why do you feel that your preferences, where, and how you ride your rig speak for everyone? Did you ever stop to consider that someone who uses their rig for everyday transportation, or in the mountains in winter may have different needs and desires from you?

If everyones needs and desires were the same, there would only be only type of rig. Imagine how boring a choice of one would be. Who would you hate?
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like already I said, everyones experiences and desires are unique, and no single one represents all, stop being so insular.

Your the one who is claiming others choices are foolish or wrong, not I, I think it is great when someone likes their rig regardless of what it is.
  15. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    I do use mine everyday. Over the year it does get used in all terrains and weathers, adapt, improvise and overcome. Why do you feel the need to follow the herd and buy a ready made compromise in the shape of a Ural, when you could buy a reliable, decent well made bike, made from decent materials and make your own solution.

It really isn't difficult.
    Alexander B likes this.
  16. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    By the way, I dont hate anyone, what I dont like is blind faith, it can get you into a awful lot of trouble.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wanted to follow the herd I would have gotten a Harley.

I got a Ural because thats what I wanted, and I have found it to be a well made, reliable bike, not the best bike I have owned, not the worst, but it makes me happy. Isn't that all that counts?

Why is that wrong to you? Why do you want everyone to be like you?
  18. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    In the sidecar world Harley don't count. Here in the UK they are a niche market for gays and accountants (new ones that is).
    On this forum, there are a vociferous amount of Ural users who cannot see the wood for the trees.

Do you remember the other Russian bikes? The Minsk, the Voskhod and the Jupiter? Evil dire things that ranked alongside the Nevals,Dneprs and Urals.

Urals haven't changed that much, in fact the basic design hasnt changed at all.
  19. immulmen

immulmen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First I would like to say I like your rig.
    Second I would like to say it is not for me.
    For $1000 I assume it is not new.
    How much do you think I have in my Ural? [It is not new ether]

I can't seem to attache a photo. Anyone know why I am not allowed? "You may not post attachments"
    This is a link if you can see it.
    http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=33632&mode=view

I have not gotten an answer to my questions about the Matchless you own.:ear
  20. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919