Why you should NOT buy a Ural motorcycle

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by bokad, May 28, 2012.

1. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad you won't be able to go to Starbucks anymore.:lol3
    Bobmws and BMWBUD like this.
  2. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the dealer give any indication of the delivery date? The terra-cotta is a beautiful color!
  3. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pick up is Saturday!
  4. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She’s home!

Was definitely a different ride home than my XR was. Put a grin on my face!

Attached Files:

Rakthi, Berardi3, azgeek and 13 others like this.
  5. ScottMastrocinque

ScottMastrocinque Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!

Of all my motorcycles I have ever had, my 2017 Ural GearUp has brought me more laughter and smiles. When I go out to the garage, I inevitably grab her key over my other rides because every time I ride her, I can’t stop grinning too! Even my dogs smile in the damn thing!

She’s not the biggest, baddest, or fastest, but she is definitely the funnest and she causes everyone who sees her, to smile right back at me. I really like that.

Enjoy!

18A75469-A9E0-44FC-85C0-0941396B009B.jpeg

F046AF29-2E3A-4F52-B96D-8EF6BF13394B.jpeg

51FC49DD-C134-4064-AE57-6137356B60D0.jpeg

1935BFF2-E357-45B4-9A0A-E22B343A9CB2.jpeg

31323648-784A-4313-9D8B-3F4C8CC11634.jpeg
  6. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Owners and their dogs.
    Nah! Not gonna say it.
  7. ScottMastrocinque

Oddometer:
    Unkind.

Yeah, I'm a large guy. So what. Being nearly killed in a motorcycle accident and breaking every bone in my chest as well as breaking my back, kind of put the damper on physical activity for several years. I gained weight during that time, yes. However, I consider myself much better now given that I didn’t walk for some time and now I enjoy all manner of riding and outdoor activity. I am on a diet, exercising, and have lost 49+ pounds so far.

My beautiful Magpie, the English Bulldog in the photo, was a perfect weight for her breed and size, and she died suddenly last Tuesday at 1:30am from Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome. It has devastated me. She was my baby more than any other dog I had ever owned my whole life and was always at my side, awake or sleeping.

She loved to ride in the sidecar. All I had to do was reach for that pink harness, and she would light up like a Christmas tree and start wiggling from head to tail. IF there is a heaven, then if I get there, I hope she'll be sitting there in the sidecar, waiting for me. I miss her so very much.

So, yes, "Owners and their dogs". She and I both loved the Ural together and it made us smile.
    velofish, Waratah, Gitana and 20 others like this.
  8. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott sorry to hear about Magpie....she's now happily riding the great Ural in the sky on her new Adventure

For the record brstar is just funnin ya....we kid each other all the time in here and some of it can come across as kinda rude or insensitive....he didn't mean nuttin by it

Glad to hear you're well and enjoying the mighty Ural

Stick around so we can hear about your Adventures and keep in mind we're a wacky bunch just havin fun.....sometimes at each other's expense

Cheers!

9. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:

Welcome Scott! As a lifetime pet owner and many which were dogs I to have special bonds with animals.
    Sorry for your loss every one that passes hurts just as much, I always say no more but after some time I find another to have a place in my life.

If you have not been to the basement of this forum (Jo Momma) it takes a very thick skin to spend time there. A lot of folks know each other for years and pick at one another the humor does not always come across as such and is often inappropriate.
    Many others try to feel better about themselves by making fun of and attacking others because of their sad and pathetic lives. However this is not the basement it is the hacks thread but many still treat it as such.
    There are good people and lots of knowledge here but like everything you have to pick through it.

20190725_102934.jpg
    Cheers from Sasha!
    sloMark, Berardi3, phughes and 7 others like this.
  10. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought Ural rigs were neat from the first one I saw in the PNW around 92. So sorry about Magpie. Dogs are better'n people. Sorry to hear about your injuries. That's gotta suck! We have a house full of dogs including one who just adopted us after being dumped. Living in the sticks has its rewards. Keep on sidecarring!
  11. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your loss. ( companion and health wise)
    But a problem shared is a problem halved so thanks for letting us in a little on your story.
    I know the loss of good dogs.
    And a little of the consequences of motorbike and other accidents.
  12. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great pair of dogs, nice rig, etc. I've had my Gear U IMG_4804.JPG p for five months, 3100 miles, and what a ball it's been. I love the bike, especially for Pugsley, my best buddy! At age 77, many, many motorcycle and scooters, the Ural has brought more smiles, an understatement!
    Berardi3, TurTal, brstar and 8 others like this.
  13. ScottMastrocinque

Oddometer:
    Hi neighbor! Great photo too!

I’ve been meaning to explore Michigan with my rig. Maybe we could meet up sometime and you could show me your favorite places to ride!
    gec343, rg sw wa. and triumphsidehack like this.
  14. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about 2 hr west of Toleda, OH. If ever up in the Michiana/Tri-State region we could go out exploring via our Urals.
    TurTal likes this.
  15. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Scott

Yes, when you decide to explore Michigan, just send a message and we can meet for a ride. I have 3500 miles on my Ural now but the longest ride was a round trip to Reinbold Motorsports in Reese, 200-mile trip.
    TurTal likes this.
  16. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent yesterday afternoon putting a new battery in my 2008 G/U. Second battery since I’ve owned it. Gotta loosen up the starter to get this accomplished. TurTal helped me via cell phone the first time. :beer

This time I had my 10yr son running the show. Learning how to wrench on the thing a little with him is another reason I bought it and it’s been great.

Teaching him how to use tools, how to use ratchets, the Allen wrenches, red is positive, black neg, what’s a driveshaft, what’s a U joint, etc. He now knows what a “core charge” is cause I made him go in the battery shop and buy the new one.

.....just some of the things that came up yesterday.

....was a good afternoon.
  17. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    It's interesting to see satisfied Ural riders on this thread about why not to buy a Ural.

A close friend, a Canadian, with whom I've ridden many miles, just purchased a pristine, low mileage Gear Up and has grown to hate it within a few weeks of ownership. Gord is an avid adventure rider with whom I rode to the Arctic Circle via the Dempster in 2015. He was on his way to Terra Del Fuego and riding through Columbia when an accident in a storm, with injuries, ended his ride. Gord is a superb mechanic, doing all his own work, on all of his bike. He is just appalled at how crude and under powered the Ural is and said he's tired of trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. I hope he changes his mind because I want to bring my hack up to his place and do some BC touring this summer if the border opens.

Although I've never owned a Ural, presently having a VStrom/Sputnik hack, I've always thought they had the cool factor going on for them. I've also traded PMs with Mr. Cob years ago. I inspected a captured Cuban Mig back in the 90s and while it was extremely crude by US standards, it did the job. I was also aboard a Ukranian AN-24 cargo plane in about 2002, can't disclose why, and thought the same thing. Crude but a good aircraft. I suppose I've always regarded the Ural the same.

Another friend just purchased a 2020 single wheel drive and to me it's a very fine looking rig with very nice fit and finish, well, not compared to a Honda Gold Wing, but nice. It seems they are getting better every year. I posted this pic a couple of weeks ago in another thread. That's Louise.
    Steve's Ural.jpg
    zookster, cateyetech, DRONE and 5 others like this.
  18. Kruzof

Kruzof independently poor

Oddometer:
    Not everyone understands that a sow's ear works very well on a sow.
    :D
    Tall Man, sloMark, cateyetech and 9 others like this.
  19. ScottMastrocinque

Oddometer:
    Well, they are indeed a LOVE:HATE relationship.

I love then hate then love mine.

It is a tedious love affair with the bike. My interactions with the local dealer, although previously positive for the most part, had recently become extremely uncomfortable as well but I think we seem to have reached a workable “dealer / customer” understanding, at least I hope so. I’m sure I’m not on the Christmas card list...life goes on.

Not sure if I’ll keep doing it but because the bike is the one that I use for my severely autistic son to ride in, I endure it for now but the bike has been to Heindl Engineering for repairs more than it has been on the road!

My 2017 Ural Gear Up, bought brand new from Ural of New England, has had SEVERAL MAJOR repairs in under 3,250 miles. It’s pretty pathetic and certainly not indicative of the very expensive price these rigs cost. Quality and design are way sub-standard for sure.

The most recent failure, was a broken ring on the right hand piston, which then double-stacked in the ring groove. Bike amazingly still ran but power was crap and it stalled every stop when the engine got warm. Jon at Heindl repaired it under warranty. Apparently, it had the wrong cylinders and pistons installed new from the factory! Go figure.

Because I had only ridden mine, I had no point of reference to compare it to. Now, properly put together, it is running the best it ever has, thanks to the mechanical skills of Jon Heindl at Heindl Engineering.

So to date, (3,250 miles total) I have replaced EFI, fuel pump, removal and proper fitment and greasing of the sidecar wheel and spacer to eliminate a horrible grinding sound, parking brake cable, rear brake, rear brake rotor, rear brake pads, electronic dash, both cylinders, and both pistons and the sidecar fender mudguard which started to tear.

Hopefully, that will be the last of the major problems!

DAC351D5-A333-4C47-8BA9-BE33D29047DD.jpeg

170B281C-2B94-408E-9C81-902C30E385DA.jpeg
  20. SkagitStan

SkagitStan analog analogue, alternative factoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    E. of world-famous Sedro Woolley; W. of Concrete
    You've identified the problem your friend is having.
    Urals should not be pristine.
    cateyetech, brstar and Kruzof like this.