Why you should use ANR earbuds and review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by compute42, Mar 27, 2020.

1. compute42

compute42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey just wanted to post a vid I made today (with all this stay at home time). On why you should be using ANR earbuds inside your headset.
    it’s a dramatic difference and the price has come down to reasonable levels.
    I’ve been using ANR in aviation for years. MC should really be pushing this more. Hearing loss is near and dear to my heart since I’m a music producer/audio engineer.

Traxx and Suncoaster like this.
  2. panfam007

panfam007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the ANR cancels noise in the ear... Thus ear drum receives both sound and cancelation wave. It does not protect ear drum.

You need something to physically block sound wave.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  3. compute42

Oddometer:
    I was where you are at 10 years ago. When the technology was first emerging for aviation uses. Skeptical.

It truly cancels the sound wave (in your ear) where it matters. It reduces damage to your ear substantially. This is not a psychoacoustic effect, it physically affects the sound wave in the air that reaches your ear drums.

MacNoob likes this.
  4. compute42

Oddometer:
    OSHA agrees ANR works
    https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2017...-in-Triple-Hearing-Protection.aspx?m=1&Page=1

Active noise reduction has been prevalent as a technology in circumaural headsets for several decades, but the advent of high-speed processing capabilities has matured the technology to a point that it can be miniaturized and placed deep in the ear canal. A typical active noise reduction circuit contains a microphone, a controller, and a speaker. The microphone measures the sound present in the occluded space between the tip of the ear plug and the eardrum. The microphone signal is then processed by the controller which generates an "anti-sound" that is delivered to the occluded space by the speaker. The in-ear microphone measures the residual noise that is left after the combined ear muff and ear plug have done all they can do, and the active noise reduction attenuates this noise further offering a third layer of hearing protection.
    panfam007 likes this.
  5. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Is that the same as what's used in shooting ear muffs ?
    compute42 likes this.
  6. compute42

Oddometer:
    Similar. But this is miniaturized. So it works inside an earbud that fits inside a helmet.
    2 layers of protection: the foam (earplug) part, and the canceled ANR sound that is introduced into the earbud sound/speaker
    Suncoaster likes this.
  7. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    compute42 likes this.
  8. tzracer

tzracer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ear will receive the combined signal. If the waves are destructively interfering, the drum will not receive any energy, otherwise you would hear something.
    JimmyD and compute42 like this.
  9. compute42

Oddometer:
    The combined signal IS nothing.... physically nothing. Think of waves canceling each other out on a lake. Your boat doesn’t rock at all.
  10. compute42

Oddometer:
    it’s a night and day difference. Honestly. There’s a reason at $1000ea the Bose aviation headset is still the most popular despite being 3-4 times the cost of a non ANR headset.

everything below 1k(ish) most mid and low frequencies just disappear.

11. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose I should've asked if it's fundamentally better for hearing protection. Dealing with the cord and the plug is a PITA. I rode with earbuds in for a long time and I'm very good at pulling them out of my ears with my helmet still on.
    compute42 likes this.
  12. compute42

Oddometer:

Yes it improves hearing protection. Or think of it as positive and negative pressure. If one air compressor is putting in 20psi and the other taking out 20psi. Your ear drum still “sees/feels” “0”.

well if you don’t like the plug and don’t run a SENA there are WAY more ANR earbuds that are wireless/Bluetooth.
  13. compute42

Oddometer:
    noise reduction ratings NNR are a bit of a wild Wild West out there.
    while it may say 29db or reduction. That may be at 4khz. And you’ll only see 5-10db of reduction at 100hz.
    the vast majority of helmet wind noise is 1khz or less. (Based on my experience of listening to and analyzing frequencies all day for work).
    this is where ANR shines. Low to mid frequencies.

NRR is a rabbit hole of information and the only way to test is using “average of subjects from listening tests” since we can’t measure an actual ear drum.
    Here a little more if you wanna go down that one

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...ttenuations-and-the-1-standard_fig4_257129538

14. bspf

bspf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this tip. I bought a new helmet recently and haven't installed the intercom yet and was thinking about doing something similar to cut the noise down. On my old helmet I had the speakers in but was using ear plugs also to help reduce the wind noise, which was kind of a win lose situation. The music was very quite but at least the wind noise was attenuated.
    compute42 likes this.
  15. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I have the Taotronics as well however I started having a problem with the noise reduction system on them cutting in and out and having a cord just drives me nuts these days. But already suffering from tinnitus its a good reminder- Ill be looking into the bluetooth version of the taotronics, thanks for sharing this
  16. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have ANR under my helmet but Ear buds just hurt my ears how do you make them comfy? The only one's that I can tolerate are the custom molded one's with speakers or the foam ear plugs.
  18. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    shop around or spend more money. I've used Shure for a decade now, well worth the money
    Daechir likes this.
  19. Garrett804

Garrett804 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made my own custom molded earbuds using beats earbuds and a kit to make custom molded earplugs.

Attached Files:

Mumbles24 and HighTechCoonass like this.
  20. Garrett804

Garrett804 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Total cost was $10 roughly and they sound great. It’s nice to not have to jam the rubber triple flange into my ear canals anymore and these stay in place taking the helmet off or on without issue. Also so much more comfortable than any of the other 5 headset types I have.

I sound tested them all first but wanted more low range for Bass and the beats are tuned that way for sure. I also wanted something that could be more flush once molded.

here is the mold kit I got off amazon.

Attached Files:

Mumbles24 and HighTechCoonass like this.