Why you should use ANR earbuds and review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by compute42, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The whole point of ANR (and there are 2 or 3 versions of it) is that you do not have anything IN your ear. You have a speaker comfy against your ear, an outised mic to register ambient noise, and with the better systems a 2nd inside mic to control things. A leak path makes no difference. I can not wear earplugs on a holiday, 6 hours/day for 5/6 days. It hurts. Bose QC20 is heaven.
  2. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aren't the QC20 earbuds? cq5dam.web.600.600.png
  3. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the qc 20's just awesome imo. Just wish there was a wireless solution of equivalent performance that could pair with the cardo packtalk
  4. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get that that’s the point but not always the case in reality. I use Shure Bluetooth se215 and they are fantastic, they do not have anr but the foam tips do a great job sealing out wind and road noise. I wanted true wireless, and anr, so I got the new airpod pros. Very nice and the anr does a great job- everywhere but on the bike. The slightest helmet jiggle and a seal gets broken and they are loud as hell. They are actually now my favorite earbuds, everywhere BUT the bike, I am back to the trusty Shures on the bike
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    These look really good, especially the Tao which may even be small enough for my ears.

Question: what happens to the sound of sirens? Other traffic sounds? Canceled as ambient?
  6. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve tried anr, just not great sound and the wind
    Caused the anr to reverberate. My x10 earbuds are great at blocking noise and sound fantastic.
  7. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also use shure earbuds. I need to turn down the volume now and they really isolate the wind noise. So lower volume and no wind. And they sound great as well.
  8. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the downside of current ANR systems is they can not deal with turbulence. Turbulent air will drive you nuts on ANR. My helmet is in clean air, and it works unless I'm behind traffic. In my use I don't see much traffic, and whatever is there I pass. Riding with friends I simply ride 'staged', out of the turbulence.
    My logic is turbulent air will frequently compress the ANR mic to either side of its maximum, and then the software can't react anymore. I think that can be solved, but the industry is simply not focussing on motorcycle usage. These mic's are tiny metal boxes, a large opening on one side to let the soundwave hit the membrame, and a tiny opening on the back to compensate for air pressure (altitude) changes. They need to be like that otherwise they would not pick up a soundwave, pressure in front of and behind the membrame would be the same. Turbulent flow will just collapse the membrame. But just add a 2nd mic with a larger "compensation" opening that starts to take over when the fist mic is at 80%. Hence I'm curious what Mplus delivers
  9. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My question remains unanswered. Aren't the QC20 earbuds and if so don't they go into the ear?
  10. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Yes, the QC20 are earbuds. Much like helmets, one solution doesn't work for everyone. Perhaps you can find an audiologist who can make a set of molds that will work with the QC20 or other ANC earbud?

I haven't found a perfect solution for me yet. I found a few different ear buds that work, but only for 4-8 hours, depending on the model. After some time, they all end up causing pain in or around my ear due to pressure points. The only 100% comfortable thing for me is using foam earplugs and the helmet speakers. I can't hear the music/intercom perfectly at highway speeds, but it is the only thing that I can wear all day without major discomfort. Still, after 4-5 days straight of riding with earplugs, My ear canal does start to ache.
  11. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Incorrect. You aren't cancelling the noise at the ear drum. You generate an exact duplicate of the noise waveform but it is 180 degrees out of phase. Since the two waves are both coherent and 180 degrees out of phase you can add the powers. 1 + (-1) = 0. But is isn't perfect. In practice you can't generate an exact duplicate. There will always be differences. You can't make them exactly 180 degrees out of phase. You can't make them exactly coherent. The ear canal isn't a perfect shape. So, you get some residual noise, but the power is greatly reduced.

You can read about the Superposition Principle here. And no, it is not just some 'theory' it is one of the more important physical phenomenon related to waves and is deeply embedded in anything that propagates via waves.

I'm not sure where this piece of incorrect information comes from but it isn't the first time I've seen it.
  12. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well then Gompie's post has me confused. I had a set of molded earbuds made and been using them for over ten years. They are the only buds I can tolorate but I would love to get an ANR set. So far the tech isn't there yet.
  13. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about the Sena Momentum helmet, which is supposed to be noise cancelling?

Also, DAAL has an active noise-cancelling system that's supposed to work in any motorcycle helmet: https://www.daal.no/

14. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought $850 Sensaphonic In-Ear-Monitors, used them for a year. Then a buddy let me try his $250 Bose QC-20's for a ride under my helmet. I got back from that 10 minute ride and immediately ordered myself a pair. I have not used the Sensaphonics since. Yes, the Bose QC-20's are THAT good. A bit of popping occasionally depending on wind gusts, but well worth the money to protect my ears. plus, they have a 90-day money back guarantee if you don't like them for any reason. Try them.
  15. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How well do the QC-20 earbuds fit under a helmet, and how well do they stay in place?
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Depends on the helmet fit. My brief experimentation period with the QC-20 involved trying the with two different helmets. On the looser fitting helmet the worked fine. On the tighter fitting helmet (mostly smaller helmet opening) getting the helmet off was a painful experience. No issue with them falling out on either helmet.
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  17. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    Are people using these with a phone or with something like a Cardo? Specifically I would like to know how it works with a Cardo device.
  18. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends how people define an earbud. Earplug is clear to me, earbud not. The QC20's do not go in the ear canal. They rest against the outside of the ear canal. Without the white clip that 'locks" in the outer ear gravity takes over and wins.

I wear them with a Shoei GT Air. No problems, but i have a Large (medium would about take my ears off), and fitted the optional medium cheakpads. Maybe that results in the helmet sitting a bit lower on my head, because it's much more quiet than any Schuberth I had. I'm 6'4", thus tall head too.

I use them with a Cardo Freecom4 that is about ready to fall apart. I have a cheap passport type bag that goes around my neck. My right arm goes thru it too so it hangs on my side. The QC20 sits in there with a 4way apple to 3 way jack cable. That cable is taped to the necklace and has a connector that plugs into the cardo. The QC20 remote is also taped up that necklace (avoids getting all the wires getting tangled). The remote is taped between two pieces of hard plastic, fairly hard foam on the side, and a raised button glued such that if I push on this contraption the noise cancelling goes on or off. For me a must because when ON I look like being deaf. When going to OFF I get afraid every time, think it amplifies ambient sound.
    Note: the wiring between the earbuds and remote is short. It works, but just.

The whole thing won't get a design award, but works. Therefore I'd like to see the referenced kickstarter thing. Communications is not my thing, and has never been in my group. Hand and foot signals have worked for 20 years. and are faster when you ride in a close group. We talk when we stop. But I like spoken GPS, and I like quality background music to offset the light (I think) tinnitus I have.
  19. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've tried ear buds but they hurt my ears under a helmet.
  20. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find with my klipsch x10 I can easily do 15 hr with a full helmet. The soft silicon tips work the best. Those funky tips on the er6 I couldn’t make 30 minutes.