Why you should use ANR earbuds and review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by compute42, Mar 27, 2020.

1. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man could you post some pics of your setup as I have the qc20's and could never work out a practical way of using them cord and all.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bag has two pockets, the battery and connectors sit in the front one. The larger 2nd I use to store the earbuds and remote. The square box with the red dot is the remote. Square such that it does't rotate under clothing. Red dot indicates the side with the ambient on/off button, but works both ways. Volume is then thru de Cardo. I used a cut and bent paperclip around the other buttons so one can't depress them. The 4- to 3way cable is a splitter with the mic side cut off. IMG-1474.JPG IMG-1475.JPG
  3. haebyong

haebyong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    phreakingeek and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  4. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True. But PNR requires physical blocking of the sound. There are not many ways to do that other than:
    - stuffing plugs in your ear canal. To me that starts hurting
    - wearing over the ear protection inside the helmet. A few have tried that, and stated that becomes like two local sauna's. Far from pleasant either. My flying helmet had that too, but it was a much ligher helmet then this one, and did not have to deal with turbulent air
  5. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is not a great interpretation of what that article says. Riders do not need protection from explosive sounds or rock concert blasts, they need protection from loud droning wind and engine noise. And ANR is perfect for that as the article says.
  6. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THANKS SO MUCH!
  7. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why this thread died, but it's a topic worth discussing now that ANC / ANR earbuds have become a lot more affordable. Having tired of the cheap earplugs I've been wearing and wanting something for phone calls or music, I just pulled the trigger on a set of Taotronics wired earbuds from Amazon .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRC5S3Z/

Does anyone have experience with these that they want to share? At 1/5th the price of Bose QC20, I'm hoping they'll do as a decent interim solution until something better shows up in the market.

Where do you position the little control unit box that has the ANR circuitry in it? From what I've read the microphone that picks up the input sound is in that box, not in the earpieces. If this is true, then the input to the noise cancellation is totally different from what is near the ears inside the helmet and logically speaking the ANC should not work well at all. Also, how well does it work for phone calls, can the other person hear if that thing is hanging out there in the wind away from your mouth hole?
  8. Ritch814

Ritch814 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I just received my TaoTronics wired ANC earbuds this morning and I'll give the review. They are not the same model as yours. These are I believe the lates model but they do not have the Monitoring Mode feature (link below). Other than that, they appear to be the same.

First, a little history on my search for hearing protection. I have tinnitus, so my hearing protection is important to me. I don't want any more damage. I started using the foam earplugs. These are great. The only issue was they are only good for a few uses, so I needed to make sure I always had spares. I then went to the silicone plugs with 3 flanges. These are nearly as good as the foam plugs, but more convenient as they can be reused indefinitely (?). I tried the silicone plugs with the filtering discs that are made for motorcyclists. Even with the strongest filters (there were 3 levels) I didn't feel comfortable with the noise level.

I am intrigued by the ANC plugs. I understand the science and I think this is the future. But, I don't want to spend $250 on Bose or Apple when I have a $1 set of silicone plugs that work well. I saw the TaoTronics for $45 and a $10 coupon, and thought this would be worth looking at. I received them this morning and wanted to try them out immediately. I charged them on the bike while I road to a local park. As I was putting them in at the park, a Camaro parked behind me. It had the typical loud exhaust you would expect from a Camaro. When I switched them on, the Camaro exhaust completely disappeared. I actually turned around to make sure it was still there. It was, and it was still running. I switched them off and on a couple of times to verify. I was impressed. The ANC does work. I plugged them into my phone (they're wired), and the sound was pretty good. As good as my standard Apple earbuds, but with ANC.

I wondered about the microphone pickup for the ANC, whether it was on the inline controls (as indicated in the TaoTronics description) or on the buds themselves, similar to Bose and Apple. I covered the inline controller and battery/power switch units with my hands and noticed no difference in the ANC effects. I would have expected some difference. I cupped my hands over my ears and it was as if I turned the ANC off. A noticeable difference that indicates to me the pickup is in the earbud.

When I put my helmet on I was disappointed. I have a Shoei Neotec 2 with the Sena system installed. The earbuds were sticking out of my ears enough to contact the pads over the speakers. It was a little uncomfortable, but I thought maybe I would get used to it. Once I started riding, I was disappointed again. The sound reduction was about he same as the plain silicone ear plugs I had been using. At times, not as good. I could still hear my engine and wind noise (this was using just the ANC with no music). I found it interesting that I could not hear that Camaro, but I can hear my engine. After 15 minutes I had to stop and put my silicone plugs in because they had become too comfortable.

So, I will not be using them on the bike. They are just not comfortable, and no better than the silicon earplugs. If you have the clearance in your helmet, you may like them. As wired ANC earbuds, I think they're a good value for the money (I can't guarantee long they will last, though).

I hope this helps others that are thinking about the inexpensive ANC options.

Wired Earbuds, TaoTronics Noise Cancelling Earbud in-Ear Headphones Premium Stereo Headphone Earbuds Built-in Mic 15 Hours Playtime Black
  9. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Ritch814 , thank you for your detailed experience. As a middle aged new rider with very good hearing...I want to protect that for as long as I can. Right now I'm bouncing between some wireless Boltune buds that are not ANC, but actually do a nice job of quieting some noise and allow me to listen to music and talk on the phone. I'm also just using some foamies that I use as internal ears when shooting or flanged silicone in ear plugs, also for shooting. I'm not sure where to go, but for me clearing my helmet as I put it on and take it off make the ear buds the lowest preference now, and for longer times the foam is more comfortable than the silicone. Both foam and silicone are rated at 28 to 32 decible reduction, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks again for sharing. Some of us are still looking...for our hearing...taste what I'm saying?
  10. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have been disappointed with the anc on the MC... I also wear a Neotech 2, I got the AirPod Pros with and same story. Very impressed with the noise cancelling without the helmet, but when I put the helmet on they get jostled just enough, no matter how careful I am, that the anc becomes very disappointing. I also have the Sena unit in my Neotech but it’s garbage, I hate it. Terrible sound and can’t hear the music with earplugs and I won’t ride any real distance without earplugs. Never mind if the music stops because someone tries to call or something... with the damn buds you either are taking your phone out of your pocket or your helmet off to get it started again... PITA!

Absolute best headphones I have found is the Bluetooth Shure se215. Fit great under the helmet, expanding foam tips block as much noise as earplugs but with great audio, Bluetooth so not cord running to the phone (I hate that),but with the connecting chord that goes across the back of the neck you can access the pause/play button with your helmet on and not touch your phone.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  11. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the detailed review. I too purchased them (the older model I linked earlier) and found them almost impossible to fit under my helmet. Actually, once in they're comfortable, but wearing and removing the helmet is downright painful. I'll be returning these, its a shame since the ANC works really well. I was sitting next to a running (loud) dishwasher when testing them and it basically made that sound disappear! I'd imagine it would do a similar job with wind since it's more or less the same? I wonder if the degradation in effectiveness is because they partially dislodge when putting the helmet on?
  12. JimmyD

JimmyD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do any of these work with a Cardo Packtalk bold unit? i just got mine but am not overly impressed with the speakers/sound. i can hardly head the speakers when wearing filtered ear plugs so wondering if i can just unplug the speakers (3.5mm audio jack) and plug in some ANR headphones like the Bose qc20 for example (heard they're good). But then wonder which microphone the system will use, the Cardo mic or the in line mic on the headphones which would obviously just pick up a ton of wind noise and wont be located near my mount
  13. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    The Cardo will only use its own mic. Whether you use the speakers or a pair of headphones with an in-line mic, the unit only recognizes its own mic.
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  14. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I'm also watching this thread hoping for the holy grail. I had a Shure SE-215 and loved it. Great sound quality and comfortable. But I plugged them in to a two-way radio and ended up blowing both speakers. It's hella-expensive, and I didn't want to purchase it again. I currently use "Plugfones" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083E7T7C/). The sound quality isn't as good as the Shure, but it's good enough. I can ride with them all day, they cut out noise sufficiently, and the sound quality of the music is decent. And they're only 17 bucks.

I love the feature of the ANC earbuds above that let you hear ambient noise, but am disappointed to hear that they're not comfortable under a helmet. Still looking for the holy grail with ANC...
    systemic_anomaly and grandelatte like this.
  15. grandelatte

grandelatte Consistently Inconsistent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also using Plugfones now. I got tired of Bose QC20. They hurt my ears, difficult to put on and off my helmet, and they require charging. Plugfones solved all these problems I had.
  16. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which specific Plugfone model did you get? There's one with yellow straight tips and one with cushy orange ones.

I think I'm going to grab some and plug them into my Cardo unit when I do long rides. The Cardo speakers just can't fight 80mph winds and supposedly the 45mm JBL upgraded speakers are no better for volume.
  17. grandelatte

grandelatte Consistently Inconsistent Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those ear pieces are huge, How the fuck do you get a helmet on wearing those? They gotta hurt like hell under a helmet, at least they would with me.
  19. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Two things:

First, did I miss any post about Active Noise Cancelling Speakers? I thought I had seen a thread about someone trying to take the speakers out of a Bose headset (not the bose QC20 earbuds) and plugging them into a Sena or Cardo unit.

Second, my QC20 earbuds make a buzzing noise when they come into contact with something (e.g., airplane headrest). I think touching the ANC mic freaks them out. Does anyone have this problem?
  20. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best ever to me. I've a Shoei GT Air Large, and put the optional thicker cheek liners in so it becomes a Medium. Head padding the same, so it sits lower on my head (I'm 6'4"). The GT Medium would about take my ears off when taking off, and my lips were about against the internals. Just for this customisation I'm a Shoei fan after years of Schuberth/BMW stuff. And I don't want a flip up anymore after seeing the cat tin thin material that hooks it up (i took my C3pro apart). I've 30 years experience with cat tins:lol3

But it implies I've more ear room too with this set up.