WI Rustic Road Century

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Powershouse, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    9realms showing how it is done!
    Plenty of stickers left and best time of year to be out there.
    LumpyOne and 9Realms like this.
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recognition :clap
    I have a distance to go before I will claim a sticker... but it's on my to-do list.

I really get a kick out of chasing down the RR's and experiencing the countryside in between each of them that you end up hitting at random. Such a simple thing more or less that Wisconsin has done with this, but to have something that they actually promote to motorcycle riders is pretty cool in my book. You meet some friendly types during the pursuit of the roads and they seem to get a kick out of it that a person would ride hundreds of miles from their own state to come over and do this, take some pictures, spend money in the cafes, bars, motels and gas stations and they seem to genuinely appreciate that patronage. I used to snowmobile a lot in Wisconsin and always had the same feeling- the locals realized and supported the fact that we were part of their overall economy and welcomed us.

Hats off to you Wisconsin, great program. :photog
    bomber60015 likes this.
  3. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to start posting mine. i think I'm up to around 30. I have a loooong way to go!
  4. darin1992

darin1992 n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh man, just found out about this "guide". This is awesome, I've been trying to find fun rides around and this should give me some fun ideas!
    9Realms likes this.
  5. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    New RR recruits! Great fun riding to be had hunting RR's! Good times.
    FirstPath, darin1992 and 9Realms like this.
  6. darin1992

darin1992 n00b

Oddometer:
    Went over lunch and grabbed the one closest to me! Had the itch and couldn't resist. Hopefully the upload worked :D

Attached Files:

• R17.jpg
      R17.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  7. Buttkeln

Buttkeln Adventurer

Oddometer:
    7DECC214-F039-48FF-998D-16CE15E2B6D3.png I remember when this posting created a stir not only on this forum but also on the wis tag forum.
    I sure do miss that 09 Kaw. 500LTD.
  8. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went in search of Rustic Roads in the SE Region and found 12 of them to ride today. I put on about 360 miles, 170 before I reached the RR grounds. The roads were mostly paved, with a few gravel ones thrown in. There was no wildlife to be seen, other than an unfortunate squirrel that had an encounter with the car ahead of me. It was much hotter than I had anticipated when I planned this trip, but still a great day on the bike. The BMW showed a peak of 94 at some point during the day. You will notice that some of the signs did not have numbers on them. Snake Road, Number 29, west of Lake Geneva, was interesting. In two and a half miles I saw dump trucks, a jogger, a golf cart, a tractor, and rode through fresh blacktop.

IMG_3850.JPG
    RR 81
    IMG_3850.JPG
    RR 94
    IMG_3852.JPG
    RR 90
    IMG_3853.JPG
    RR 27

Attached Files:

9Realms likes this.
  9. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more photos from my ride today. As you can see, the sign on RR 68 was broken. IMG_3854.JPG RR 68
    IMG_3855.JPG
    RR 29
    IMG_3856.JPG
    RR 12
    IMG_3857.JPG
    RR 11
    9Realms likes this.
  10. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    Here are the last four photos from today. I don't know if I will ride 100 Rustic Roads and get the sticker, but I appreciate the state's work on them. Sometimes riding the same roads gets old and the Rustic Roads booklet gives me new destinations. I see parts of the state I never would and that is probably the best part of it.
    IMG_3858.JPG
    RR 36
    IMG_3861.JPG
    RR 85
    IMG_3863.JPG
    RR 25
    IMG_3864.JPG
    RR 2
    9Realms likes this.
  11. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    It was raining around SE Wisconsin early this morning, so I did not leave Waterford until about 9 am. In the next 90 minutes or so I rode the last five Rustic Roads in Racine County. Number 43 in in both Racine and Kenosha Counties. There was still some rain around, but I made it back up to NE Wisconsin without getting too wet.
    IMG_3865.JPG
    RR 42
    IMG_3866.JPG
    RR 43 There was no sign where I entered on the south end.
    IMG_3867.JPG
    RR 5
    IMG_3869.JPG
    RR 30
    9Realms likes this.
  12. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    This is the last one from today. It will be the last one for this year. I have them all from the SE Region and most from the NE and SW. I think I am at around 70.
    IMG_3870.JPG
    RR 37
    9Realms and InTheMuck like this.
  13. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Well done, nice bike! You are way ahead of me.... I think I am at around 30 of them.
  14. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    Thanks 9Realms. I counted them up and I am at 72. That will be all for this year. Next spring I will take a look at the ones I am missing and decide if I want to keep after them. I may just go back and ride the local roads again. Anything similar to this in MN?
    9Realms likes this.
  15. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Good morning!

Wow, you are making good progress on them. Naw, there is nothing similar as such in Minnesota that I am aware of, certainly some nice secondary roads to be explored at random (bits of the Historic Mississippi River road are great) but not the same organized game as the Rusties program. Hat's off to Wisconsin for that program. I often head over the border and spend my money in cafes, gas stations and motels in Wisconsin as they seem appreciative to have the business and often things don't feel as spoiled. Wisconsin still has that old time feel in resort country, older places that have been preserved and are still going which I enjoy for a burger, etc.

Actually heading today with another rider over to Hudson, WI on back roads and then I think we are following the river south and back for a day trip. :-)
    LumpyOne likes this.
  16. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    2WheelNeal and 9Realms like this.
  17. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    143E8EB1-2C61-4866-9E81-8827E3DA53C3.jpeg I went out for a chilly ride on my Harley this afternoon and came across RR 40. It is in my backyard and have ridden it before, but it seemed like a good excuse to get a picture of my Lowrider S in this thread. It’s also a good way to give the thread a late season bump.
    Powershouse and 9Realms like this.
  18. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can’t quit now dude, I have a sticker with your name on it
    [​IMG]
    LumpyOne, Paper, MNimum and 1 other person like this.
  19. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    :clap

There's an incentive!
  20. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    The snow and ice keep coming, but I am planning to continue the Rustic Road quest in 2019. After checking the online site I could see that some new roads have been added, so I ordered a new hard copy booklet from the state. It looks like I can finish up the SW with an overnight ride. I can finish the NE region on a day ride up to Florence County, west to Vilas, and then south through Oneida and Lincoln before heading home. That leaves the wild and woolly NW region and there are a bunch of them up there. Meanwhile, I am getting through the winter with some snow biking.
    Reforestation Camp February 2019.JPG