WI Rustic Road Century

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Powershouse, Feb 19, 2008.

1. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are going to have some great November riding weather and I will be out there. My Rustic Road hunting is over for the year though as the ones I have not captured are more than a day ride away. My Harley is tucked away for the winter but the BMW is still itching for a few more miles in 2020.
    9Realms likes this.
  2. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    I think here in East Central MN, next week is going to be it for us this season.
    9Realms likes this.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I went over and hit R71 today. It was a random one I had missed that I needed to go pick up.
    Nice day, about 260 miles for me round-trip. Perhaps a little ambitious, based on my somewhat late departure time.
    I didn't realize I was going to be near as far as Hayward, just 13 or 14 miles further north of where I ended up at R71. Should have gone better prepared and stayed overnight.

The last half hour or so of travel on the way home was in the dark. Nice riding weather, only saw one deer all day and that was early afternoon.

RR&1_Nov 03-2020 hit.jpg

1124.jpg

rr71 near hayward.jpg
    davepen likes this.
  4. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the time I decided to ride from Saint Paul to the Delta Diner for lunch.

Just a bit further away than I thought it was...
    9Realms likes this.
  5. sharpiebb454

sharpiebb454 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hit R70 Friday because I have driven by it many times this year in the car. 20201106_091232.jpg
    On my way home I got a text that she wanted to go on a longer trip since we had no real plans for the weekend, so here is a few more we happened to drive by. Was a great weekend for November. 20201106_152606.jpg 20201106_153244.jpg 20201107_095455.jpg 20201107_101630.jpg 20201107_153827.jpg 20201108_081735.jpg 20201108_084757.jpg
  6. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    :clap

Score !!
  7. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    It is only 15 degrees in January but today I am thinking about continuing my Rustic Road riding. That's because today I am getting the first dose of the Covid vaccine and by the time the riding season arrives I will have had both and will feel safe enough to do some overnight trips. The ones I still need are more than a day ride away and I did not wish to stay in any hotels or visit any restaurants last year. I will be getting out the maps and RR guidebook soon.
  8. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    I'm in a similar situation, I have picked away at the easy ones around me, and the ones I could hit in a day trip and still make it back home again without involving overnight stay.

If I had a better car, I might run some in the off season for fun, but my car is older than my bike.
  9. playharder

playharder Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Check out gripstuds.com. That, a can of ACF-50 to spray on everything for salt protection, something over most of the radiator, a set of Hippo-hands and your are ready to go now.

It works best if you install the studs in the summer when the tires are nice and warm and they get a chance to season before the winter riding, but why not get an early start on the season.

Take care.

John
  10. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, studded tires are illegal in WI on the street.
    Did all 115 roads with a buddy one summer years ago. When there were only 115.
    Couple of hotel stays out and back. We figure we put on over 5K miles all in the State doing them.
    It was fun.
    blackfriar likes this.
  11. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All right folks, time to take another look at yer maps and plot out your next Rustic Road adventure!
    Harg likes this.
  12. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Maybe this is the year I can snag some of the newer ones, since my RR quest was rudely interrupted.
    Paper and 9Realms like this.
  13. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    I already have a plan mapped out; just need the weather to cooperate. That probably won't be for a couple of months. I have been out already and will do some riding, but I like to enjoy the Rustic Roads and not deal with cold, wind, and rain.
    9Realms likes this.
  14. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Heading out today to renew the plate on the bike.
    ..... the first step.
    blackfriar likes this.
  15. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Route is made for my last few to collect. Also made some 3 day and 1 day rides to start collecting all over again.
    blackfriar likes this.
  16. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    After a stop in Pine Bluff to check out the Slimey Crud bikes I went on a Rustic Road hunt. I did not anticipate making my first river crossing, but I did. Then three more showed up and there was no turning back. This was on RR 51.
    BADC6803-3AC8-41E9-8FC8-EFBCCB679422.jpeg
    At 68 years old I am not planning to make a habit of this. I got three roads today and will post the pictures.
  17. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Yahtzee!

If you stop/stand on the concrete bridge near there, often you can see trout swimming.
  18. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    I would have appreciated a few more bridges.
    Powershouse and 9Realms like this.
  19. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been on that rustic road a few times. one time it was dry but the next time it was pretty deep.
  20. blackfriar

Oddometer:
    That is what we thought, later in the year it is probably dry. I am not that great at off road riding, but that road is what you think of when you hear "Rustic Roads". There were other people there, too. A lady in an SUV came the other way and also a few young people, two or three in and ATV and one right behind them in a pickup.