Wide open roads and hyper aggressive drivers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by windmill, Apr 8, 2020.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a city P&D driver in a major metropolitan area I have been enjoying the virtually non existent traffic, but there's a catch. There's a few drivers out there going totally nuts, often in extremely inappropriate areas like residential neighborhoods, downtown areas, business and retail zones. To make matters worse, the majority seems to be those with vehicles and driving skills of the worst sort.
    I had been thinking maybe I was just being critical seeing it as a professional driver, but I heard it mentioned on the radio the other day, and it came up in today's pre shift safety meeting. Others are recognizing the issue.

For those not getting out much, don't be fooled by the empty roads, there's still hazards, and some really bad drivers out there.
  2. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    It is maybe something to do with the stress of the times, for example in Canada domestic violence calls have increased 300%. I have noticed some speedy drivers whom maybe think the police won't give them a ticket because of social distancing?? :doh

Yes there has been several cases of road rage incidents on quiet Vancouver Island this past month. These people must be out of toilet paper.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/video-man-breaks-up-saanich-road-rage-fight/

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1702030
    RedEX and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. tennistime99

tennistime99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe they actually BELIEVE they are critical employees and it's gone to their heads. I've definitely noticed a lot of tailgaters and speeding recently.
    CrustyAPO and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I expect folks to go faster when the road is wide open, but what I don't understand is those going bat shit crazy about it.
    I saw someone using a 2 way turn lane as a through lane a good 30 mph faster than than the other vehicles that we're going 10-15 over the limit already. I've also seen drivers outright blow stop lights, and do right on reds so fast they drift into the oncoming lane. Saw a PU doing probably close to 80 in a 35 on a residential arterial. A coworker said they saw a car on I-5 in downtown Seattle going More than double the speed of others.

It's crazy.
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    The CHP Golden Gate Division and others have been posting some of the more egregious speeders on their FB pages.

92319686_3086058558085110_487547524752605184_n.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    My limited experience seems to indicate most people, and most traffic, to be more serene and laid back.

But, the ding bats, also feel more liberated.

So the sane are still sane, maybe more so.

The crazy are still crazy, maybe more so.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's almost exactly what a coworker said this morning. It makes a lot of sense, and reflects what I've seen too.
  8. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been on the road virtually every day since the lock down in the Seattle area started. My 92 yr old FIL has a foot and leg infection that hasn't been healing. So the docs are having him take an anti-biotic infusion each day. He can't do it himself, so I ride/drive the 30 miles to his place and back daily.

At first, I noticed everyone was doing about 70-75 in a 60 mph speed zone. Some were going even faster than that. It's like they all realized the LEOs weren't out and were only responding to situations where someone was injured. In the last week or so, it seems like most of us are slowing down to about 65 mph...but there's still some going through the traffic like it is standing still. Scary.

I think it gives you an indication of how society will degenerate if you take God out of it (the moral law), and then without Him, you take the legal law out of it.

Chris
    C3trevor, XTremeRide, RodT and 4 others like this.
  9. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havent seen much of that here, even in KC and St. Louis - fair number of highway patrol out and about though.
    Chillis and severely like this.
  10. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    It shpuld be like shooting fish in a barrell for the traffic police. Throw the book at them I say.
  11. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I had people pulling out and going slow, I mean turtle slow. :dirtdog I also had a semi truck driver force me to stop as he backed into a warehouse dock. No big deal but I was the only one on the road, he couldn't wait thirty seconds for me to pass. I guess he figured he had the right of weight.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the perspective of a truck driver.

If he waited for you, and then another vehicle comes and he waits for them, and then another vehicle comes and he waits for them, and then another vehicle comes and he waits for them.......
    Its virtually impossible to predict if or when there wont be any other road users for the span of time it takes. Odds are its going to happen.

Backing from a road is difficult because it takes time to do safely and will almost certainly inconvenience other road users. To make it more difficult almost certainly one or more drivers won't slow or wait and will aggressively pass both the truck and others who have stopped.......even at locations that send out flaggers or have signage saying yield to backing trucks.

No matter how much care and consideration a truck driver attempts to exercise, they're likely to get honked at, yelled at, or flipped off for their efforts.

Naturally there are bad and inconsiderate truck drivers out there, but its often a thankless job that people love to hate.
    Bors, Offblnz, spokester and 22 others like this.
  13. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh . . . . . I see you're in the Seattle area, too . . . . . Yes I've noticed the same.

Seems to me it's due to lack of enforcement . . . . . That's what I've noticed on the few times I've been out on the roads & I5.

I've noticed not seeing any traffic enforcement going on, but like I said I haven't been out on the roads that much, as I'm practicing minimizing social interactions as are most in Seattle.

Be safe, wear a mask & gloves. If you don't have a mask, dig out your buff . . . . . better than nothing.

I figure the coppers are minimizing traffics stops, and drivers know it . . . . . . What do you think ?
  14. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've noticed the same thing, and have been warning others about it. I'm "essential" for now at least, so I've been commuting on very lightly-traveled roadways the last few weeks. I've seen a year's worth of red light and stop sign runners in that time, and drivers essentially acting like they've lost their minds -- bombing thru parking lots, pulling into roadways without checking for traffic, crazy lane changes, etc.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got called in this morning as the drives representative for this months safety meeting.
    This issue was one of the primary subjects. Apparently it's a wide spread issue that's been recognized by the transportation industry, and public officials.
  16. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    My BIL lives on a very narrow residential street in South Minneapolis. Two days ago, a driver managed to flip his car onto the roof and did significant damage to BIL's minivan in the process.

I can't even imagine how this guy got going fast enough to flip his Honda car onto the roof.
  17. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still working and have a 25 mile commute one way. I don't see any of the things you guys are complaining about. The best thing about it here is that the left lane is now open for passing.
    Bt10 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Yes. I am near Poughkeepsie NY. Many people have been slow and cautious but I have seen some very fast drivers lately on the commuter routes. And I have seen an increase in what I call " erratics" , people pulling out in front of cars, people bombing through parking lots at 60. And its been different from day to day, so caution is advised. A couple of local loops I have done have been interesting with near zero traffic. Then suddenly a fast car coming the other way. I am pretty sure that the LEO's are going to come back with a wicked vengence when the virus is tamped down.
  19. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I'm in VA and our express / HOV lanes are literally empty now. And cheap. I am going faster than I normally go, which on I95 is pretty fast... I have not seen the entitled stupidity to the extent others have seen, but that may be because I'm choosing to pay to be on unpopulated lanes of travel. I see idiots passing by other traffic at a high differential speed, which is very dangerous.

Empty streets or not, I still put the safety of myself and everyone around me far above making good time. Others seem not to...

Barry
  20. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's why I didn't get upset.
    Veeblefetzer likes this.