1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wide open roads and hyper aggressive drivers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by windmill, Apr 8, 2020.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I found a few guys with hot cars drifting in a parking lot. They were leaving as I approached so I followed them onto the highway to watch the forthcoming race.

It never happened. My lime green jacket might have calmed them down or maybe it was the white helmet.
    DR Donk likes this.
  2. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    The only outlying behavior I've noticed during the Stay at Home period is an increase in brodozers putting their foot in it when the light turns green. Perhaps the overall and sustained reduction in traffic volume allows their flatulent roar to be more easily noticed. Less competition.

Coincidentally, just yesterday one of them died not too far from here. The driver was speeding on a semi-rural (and straight) stretch of A road. A lack of talent prevented him keeping his truck on the road and away from the tree that was in his path when he left the roadway. No other vehicles or individuals were involved.

Four days prior to Brodozer Boy's passing, and less than two miles from that incident, another fellow was killed when he drifted over two lanes into oncoming traffic. The description in the press has all the markings of cell phone distraction. Unfortunately, the innocent driver that was hit suffered serious injury.

I do see a few cruisers on the road every now and then. They're rolling down the road at or just below posted limits. Motorcycle riding is a State-approved form of social distancing whilst the Stay at Home order is in force. Eventually, their numbers (and sound) will increase dramatically just as soon as said order ends, later this month. Count on it. There's a lot of bottled-up Look At Me! that will need attending to.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    Not here. It's been largely HarleyFest 2020.
  4. CrabbyJack

CrabbyJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "The odd thing is loud Harleys are noticeably absent for the most part. Maybe because they tend to be older folks who are more likely to comply with the stay at home directives?"

I think it's because the bars are all closed and they have no place to go.
  5. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    That's why my dad and his Legion buddies aren't riding. Only it's restaurants, not bars. Them old farts just tool around to a restaurant for a meal, then head back.
    BobcatSig and davenowherejones like this.
  6. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago it was Night Of The Living Porsches, Dawn of the Living Porsches, and Porsche Nation on the roads through the Santa Cruz Mountains. I rather enjoyed seeing people who seemed to have some idea what they were doing driving their machines the way they were designed to be driven. But that all seems to be over as more ordinary people head out to go hiking and get outdoors.

Oddly, the sportbike crowd seems to have backed off a bit. I haven't seen anyone dragging a knee for weeks. They may have thought this over and figured out that, "I'd rather not have to visit an ER right now," bit.

Freeways however... those are getting Very Weird, with some people driving like we were in the grip of a major global pandemic or something and other people driving like we were in the grip of a major global pandemic or something.
  7. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    We had three DUI related fatality accidents in the last 24 hours. High emotion, low skill and shit for judgement with predictable results.
    davenowherejones likes this.
  8. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I know I'm being pedantic here but those were not accidents. Accidents are things like hitting a deer or a rock falling on you. Almost every wreck we commonly refer to as an accident is the result of someone's negligence or wanton recklessness.
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    In NY traffic is gradually returning to near normal. My guess is we are at 75% traffic. I have no idea where they are all going, but then again I never do. Most are useless idiots driving to pick up something they don't really need.

Case in point, I finally broke down and went to Loews to get my wife some flowing plants - it was effing pandemonium there. People are acting like this is the greatest home improvement opportunity of their lifetimes. Just standing in huge lines, with tools, building materials, paint.......Idiots. I almost just turned and walked out, but we are stuck at home and wifey really needed some flowers to look at.

That's part of the weirdness of this disaster, the constant fact that people have literally 2% of the brains needed to deal with this crisis. I could go on for hours.
  10. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been in the opposite situation from aggressive drivers and dealing with people going 10 to 20 mph below the posted speed limit. :umph

But yesterday some meatheads made up for them. A speeding brodozer turned left in front of the car ahead of me, thought for sure I was gonna witness and accident
    2nd meathead was a guy on a sportbike passing a slow moving car. Normally it would be no problem but in this case, I was coming towards him and had to slow down and move over to the right hand part of my lane. :dirtdog
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've encountered my share really slow road users to, but they're just a minor annoyance I can deal with on my own terms, so I haven't given them much thought.
    It's the craziness of a few forcing me to, or seeing others take evasive actions to avoid them is what catches my attention.

It's really amazing when the crazy drivers complain about the danger of slow drivers. Excuse me? Did they not get the memo? If you don't exceed your skills and line of sight they're not a problem.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I have seen some really fast cars here in the last month. A sports car going triple digits makes a screaming sound as it passes you. I have heard that sound on a race track where cars are doing 140 mph. I haven't heard it in traffic until this lock down started. On the road it is quite startling.
  13. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Drive right, pass left. Most - if not all - in the Pacific Northwest missed this portion of driver education.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, not that it's relevant, but there's also some who don't understand there's limit's to that.
    When every lane on the freeway is full to capacity, it's unreasonable to expect, and no excuse to go nuts.
  15. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    But we're not talking about that, are we? We're talking about aggressive drivers on open roads, no?
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't until you brought it up, and why I said its not relevant. :deal

I'm not sure what your point is. :dunno

Are you suggesting someone squatting in the passing lane on an otherwise open road is an excuse to be aggressive, when one could simply change lanes and pass them? :hmmmmm
  17. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    No. Drive right; pass left. For this and driving in general.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what does that have to do with aggressive driving on wide open roads? I don't see a legitimate connection? :dunno

It doesn't address the issue of hyper aggressive drivers who blow around all others regardless of what lane they're in, or how many lanes there are. On the right, on the left, on the shoulder, in the carpool lane, in merge lanes, across gore points, in the oncoming lane, on entrance and exit ramps. How does keep right pass left address that?

I reads as an attempt to use a push button subject to excuse the inexcusable.
  19. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    What?! No.

Drive right; pass left. That's it. The end.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, and use signals too.
    Just confused why you brought it up in this thread.