Wide open roads and hyper aggressive drivers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by windmill, Apr 8, 2020.

1. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    In the Reno area I have noticed a definite uptick in speed. Was on I-80 this week, doing 70-75 in a 65 zone, and was passed like I was standing still; mostly by sport cars but a couple of times by motorcycles as well.

I live downtown on a semi-busy street, while traffic volume is much less, the speeds people are going is much higher. Many are driving well over 50 in a 35 mph zone. Thankfully I have also seen more people getting pulled over the past couple of weeks than I have in the past couple of months combined.
  2. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
  3. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
  4. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw a dude in a lifted 4x4 on my street yesterday who looked like he was actively trying to get into a fight with someone. All windows down, some crappy music blaring. He was a few cars ahead of me and sped up, dove into the left lane very closely cutting someone off, then looking back as if "What are you gonna do, Bro?" Then slowed down, returned to the right lane. As I approached, he dove left right in front of me, nearly clipped my front. Looked back, "Whatcha gonna do, Bro?" I didn't react, which apparently made him upset, so he screeched around the next corner and took off.
  5. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I like to tell those fine motorists in a civil and polite manner; "Nice truck. Sorry about your d*ck." Those drivers must really appreciate those sentiments based on the reactions. I also say that as a diesel truck owner.
    Tall Man likes this.
  6. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    That was a definite "Do not engage" situation. I was in a Fiesta at the time, so he was picking on someone smaller than him. When I drive my 6.0 Powerstroke, I usually hear "Nice truck. Surprised it hasn't blown up yet."

Another interesting thing I've noticed on my morning commute, which is along the 55 freeway in Orange County. On a normal, pre-pandemic morning, it's bumper-to-bumper the whole way. With the lockdown, morning speeds have been unlimited since March, and if I'm not going 80, I'm going to have someone on my back wheel.

With business starting to creep back in the area, traffic is starting to increase, and in some places, especially at interchanges with other freeways, it slows down. This morning, traffic seemed to be almost double what it had been since March - still much lighter than normal, with the open areas still going 70-75. But, at the first major interchange, it slowed down to 25-30. I was in the carpool lane on my bike, which was still full speed, but watched as people in the normal traffic lanes, who had become used to going 80 for the past month and a half, slammed on their brakes and tried not to rearend each other where it was slowing.
    Snowbird likes this.
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    That's fun. I had a teenage driver completely demolish the rear end of my then new-to-me GMC 2500. She didn't even see the traffic stopped. Hammered me at 65-ish mph, no brakes. Thank goodness for the HD hitch on the truck...
  8. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    I had something very similar happen just last week. A poverty brodozer (you know what I mean) in the oncoming lane swerved halfway into mine, forcing me to quickly move toward the fog line on my dual sport. A sunny day and a good view confirmed that he wasn't staring at his phone. I can't recall the last time I was witness to such bald aggression, to say nothing of being the target of it.

I've determined that the offending driver is local. He doesn't know where I live, but I know where his truck is parked at night. We're just going to file that away for now.
  9. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    "I've determined that the offending driver is local. He doesn't know where I live, but I know where his truck is parked at night. We're just going to file that away for now."

Oh man, that would be tempting... I have a friend who had something similar happen. The idiot had a For Sale sign on his truck. My friend got a picture of the sign, and kept calling him from different numbers, claiming to want to buy his truck. He'd arrange meetings way across town "Hey, how 'bout the Target parking lot at 4:00". He'd go watch the dude sit in his truck, waiting for someone. Then, a few days later, call from another number with a different name "Hey, how 'bout the mall parking lot at 10:00". He had lots of fun with the guy, and was careful not to call from his actual phone.
    Snowbird likes this.
  10. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    While we're talking about it, I had this happen on the way home last night - a bit of "instant karma".

On my ride home, the exit from the freeway is a long two lanes, both making a sweeping right turn onto a boulevard. If you stay in the right lane of the exit, it becomes a right-turn-only lane for an upcoming traffic light. So, drivers who want to continue straight, and don't have the forethought to be in the left lane of the ramp, end up diving over to the left so they can continue straight. I am always in the left lane, and make sure nobody is next to me on the right, so that I'm not in a position to get smacked by an idiot.

Yesterday evening, exiting as I always do, a guy in a Fusion comes flying past me in the right lane of the ramp, about 20mph faster than everyone else, and cuts across my front wheel to dive left. The car was clean, but had a banged up nose, and I thought "I'll bet this dude just rear-ended someone on the freeway, panicked, and fled."

Although he cut me off egregiously, he was going faster, so I didn't have to brake or swerve. No harm, and this dude is clearly very agitated, I'm not going to engage, and decided to come up behind, not beside him at the next light to avoid visual contact. He jumped the light before it changed, and sped off, and pulled into the left turn lane at the next intersection - this was my street, so I came up behind him again. Kept my hands on my bars, didn't give him any indication that I was the least bit interested in him. I don't know if he even knew if I was behind him, or if I made him nervous, but when the light changed, he punched it and turned left, but, with front wheels spinning, he went way wide, smacked the curb and got hung up on it.

As I passed I figured that if the cops were looking for this guy, at least he was now stuck in one place.
    Tall Man likes this.
  11. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    I too have an Instant Karma story, although in retrospect I feel a bit bad for the fellow when I happen to think about it.

I was commuting to work one morning, and was on a long stretch of a cramped 4 lane city throughfare with the usual traffic volume. Stop and go because of the many stop lights. Sunny and clear. The driver immediately behind me was following a pinch closer than I would have preferred, but his distance was consistent at each stop so I wasn't too worried. After one light turned green, he swung over to the adjacent lane, quickly passed me, and attempted to move back over into the space in front of me. There wasn't enough room to allow safe movement of his vehicle, though, and he moved into the right lane in a manner that forced me to lean hard toward the curb to avoid contact.

Wanting to put some distance between us, I was able to move into the left lane. I beeped my horn as I passed his window, concurrently noticing that his head was dipped down as he looked at his phone. The meep of the bike's disc horn seemingly startled him, because he swung the steering wheel in an overcorrection (we were on a dead straight road). He hit the curb hard with the front right wheel, going up and then hard back down off of the sidewalk.

As I continued riding, a glance in the mirror revealed that his car remained stopped in an active lane of travel, between intersections.

All he had to do was turn off the phone and drive.
  12. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading your story, I don't feel bad for him at all. Put the fucking phone down and drive, it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

I actually don't see much on the roads worthy of repeating, but I don't drive every day either, so I get less exposure than many people do.
    HuntWhenever and Tall Man like this.
  13. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Yeah, man, no love for someone who pulled a move like that and ended up damaging his own vehicle in the process due to a phone. My Mustang was obliterated by a texting driver in a Tahoe who didn't notice that I was stopped mid-block at a crosswalk. After I crawled out of my smoking wreckage, I walked back to the lady, still holding her phone, saying "What just happened?" Didn't even know I was there.
    Tall Man likes this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watched a driver put both driver side tires of an Escalade up and over the top if a jersey barrier for a couple hundred feet with it floored and smoking the tires. They finally stopped just as I came up even with them, and sure as shit, she had a phone in her hand and was still talking.

I'm on the road 8 to 10 hours a day (half that currently) and see stupid stuff every day, but that one stands out in particular.
  15. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I like the 4 old guys in tuxedos who managed to drive on top of a jersey barrier (no post) and perfectly park their Buick with no damage. They did not want the police involved because they had been drinking at a Canadian Legion.

The tow truck driver broke the gas tank getting the car down. The gas on the road was really slippery. I was glad I was not riding a motorcycle at the time.
  16. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    In Seattle I once saw an SUV on Lake Washington Blvd run a red light and cross all 4 or 6 or however many lanes of Montlake Blvd during rush hour. And the driver never once looked up from her phone. No crash either.
  17. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    One of the funniest instant karmas I've ever seen was a drunk fool leaving a strip club in Phoenix. There was one lane in the street out front blocked off for construction and it had a pile of gravel in it. The car came flying out of the parking lot into the closed lane and got up just enough speed before it hit the pile to make it right to the top before it stopped, perfectly perched with all 4 wheels off the ground.
    garandman likes this.
  18. PrkChps

PrkChps Mirth Is King

Oddometer:
    Strange things happening everywhere. I was riding on the highway very recently, during the open-road corona rally, and making about 70, in the left lane, with no traffic ahead or behind. Or so I thought. Seconds later, Joe Corvette blew by me on the right, with his foot in the headlights. Had to be running about 125. Went from a tiny speck in the mirror to past me in a blink. Only problem was that I live in MA, and noplace is the road surface smooth enough for a 'vette to be running at that speed. Don't know if he got his instant karma, but a good pothole would have ripped the snot out of the undercarriage. Hey, if I had one, I'd want to air it out too...but a bumpy New England highway in the spring? Great way to end up in the woods.
  19. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    NH flies a light plane along I95, I-93 and I89 and logs speeds, with two or three chase cars. They were on I93 in Hooksett, NH Friday morning. The tail # is known so some people actually look it up on flight tracker.

At a NH toll booth. And you wonder why they have 25mph speed limits.

[​IMG]
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't see anything I haven't seen before, it was the brashness of when, where, and how it was being done that stood out to me.