Wideband O2 Installation Overview

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Feb 18, 2012.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two software packages that come with the LC-1: LM Programmer for setting things up, and Logworks3 for datalogging AFR and Lambda information.

These programs require a PC and a USB to Serial cable. A serial to LC-1 cable is provided in the LC-1 kit. The LC-1 software, windows and the LC-1 don't always hook up. After wrestling with it for a year I was motivated to find a sequence that always connected. Here it is for reference.

To Begin
    1. Motorcycle off.
    2. No Open programs (Logworks, LM Programmer)
    3. Connect serial cable to LC-1 and USB cable to PC.
    4. Turn on key and power up LC-1s
    5. Start a program (e.g. LM Programmer) and use its connect sequence.

When finished
    1. Close Program in Windows
    2. Turn Off motorcycle, power down LC-1

Then to start another progam, go back to To Begin.
    This worked a half dozen times on my single LC-1

A simple way of saying this is that the LC-1 must be powered down between program changes.
  2. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    R1100 Wiring Errata

I will do a new wiring drawing for the R1100 soon but here are the differences:

No external wires are needed for power and ground. Power and ground are available from the O2 sensor connector that you use to attach the LC-1 to the Motronic (Labled Cable & Connector to Motronic O2 input. or LCCM for short).

+12V connects to LCCM white wire, pin 4.

LC-1 ECU Ground (white) connects to LCCM white wire, pin 1

LC-1 Heater Ground (blue) connects to LCCM grey wire (note that there are two brown wires!) pin 3

LC-1 Analog output 1 (yellow) connects to LCCM black wire, pin 1 (same as R1150)

Software Settings for the LC-1 stay mostly the same, except Lambda High Voltage is 800 mV and Lambda Low Voltage is 100 mV.

[​IMG]
  3. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Am reading this thread with interest as I think I have an LC-1 in the shed that I bought for a project a few years ago, but didn't use.

I've just picked up an early R1100GS which has a potentiometer.
    What does it adjust?
    Is it the whole map, or is it only adjusting closed loop?

Could I weld a bung on the exhaust and fit a WB sensor and gauge, and adjust the potentiometer from it?
    Could I fit the potentiometer near the dash with a wheel and adjust it on the fly?

So many questions. Sorry. Still understanding how the bike works.
  4. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    R1100s were designed to run Open Loop with a CO (Carbon Monixide) adjustment or Closed Loop with an oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. Your bike should run better than the cat bikes since it seems to run a slightly richer mixture. (However, the guy who wrote this report, O2 Shift Beta, got a much better result with shifting his O2 sensor than with Open Loop.)

The CO pot is used to set the CO level to about 1.5% at idle which corresponds to an air/fuel ratio (AFR) of about 14:1 (richer and better performing than the catalyst bikes which run at 14.7:1)

The CO pot works by effecting the computer calculation of pulse width at idle but the mechanism isn't documented (if you put an LC-1 on you could quickly figure that out). It may work by telling the computer to add or subtract a small amount of fuel, in which case its effect would be only at lower powers, or it could work by scaling the calculation say by adding 5% to the amount.

There is a spot where the two exhaust pipes come together that at the front of the cat where a bung is welded. Check a parts web site. Then you need to buy a used O2 sensor so that you can get a connector for your LC-1 project. Lastly you would want to buy or build a two-jumper Pink Coding Plug to tell the Motronic to use Closed Loop. (The wiring is a little easier on an R1100 since you can pick up two grounds and +12V in the O2 connector.)
  5. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.

Does the cat version stay in closed loop the whole time, or is it only in closed loop during cruise mode, and goes into open loop to a default map under power?

I might just hook up the gauge for now and see what it does with the pot.
  6. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    In normal driving, even aggressive style it is in closed loop 40-50% of the time. If the throttle isn't moving a lot, if the bike is warmed up, if the throttle is less than 60% open and if rpm is below 6500-ish, it is likely in closed loop.
  7. jasonsansfleece

jasonsansfleece n00b

Oddometer:
    I have just installed an Innovate MTX-L to my R1100S. I am ready to connect the computer and set the parameters.
    I must confess to being a little confused as how to proceed.
    My doubts are around setting the analog output voltages.
    In post#4 in this thread you mention a 140mv low side offset in the Motronic.
    I want to start with a AFR of 13.8:1
    I would really appreciate it if you could explain how to proceed.
    It appears that the MTX-L uses the same software as the LC-1,
    Thanks
  8. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your R1100S uses the same software settings as the R1150 and the MXT-l should work well. Its a good unit. I PM'd you some updated detailed settings for your AFR, etc.