Wife’s 86 DR600 issues on road trip.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dantes Inferno, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Dantes Inferno

Dantes Inferno Jake

Oddometer:
    9A72AB01-3D11-43B4-B364-ECACE33E5AE3.png Hi,

My wife and I are from Vancouver, BC on a road trip. We just spent a few days in Disney Land for our Honeymoon and are on our way back north.

We got jammed up in LA traffic on the way to Anaheim the bike saw some high temps (she is not comfortable splitting) and started to develop a tick. We took it easy out of LA and stopped early in 1000 oaks due to crazy winds. The tick has got worse. Today we jumped on the 101 and almost got to Santa Barbara before the tick became too obnoxious. I can hear it over her intercom. On the way down the bike also started developing an issue where when we got off the highway the idle would surge way up until she dragged the clutch a little then it would fall back down.

Have an appointment with a dealer in Ventura for diagnostics but decent affordable hotels are really hard to get down here and we’d like to get home before it’s too cold.

Anyone have help, I’m thinking of grabbing some feeler gauges and attempting to check the valves. I did an oil change today just to rule it out. Bike feels good for compression on the kick, just sounds like bad lifters on a car.
  2. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cam chain? When my DRZ sounds like that, I tighten the tensioner a bit and all is well.

Could the idle surge be solved by a clutch cable adjustment?

Not a mechanic, just spitballin'.

Check out AirBnB.com. They're usually a LOT cheaper than a hotel and can include kitchen privileges.
    local1 likes this.
  3. Dantes Inferno

Dantes Inferno Jake

Oddometer:
    You must have a manual tensioner, this bike is the factory auto tensioner. I’m wondering if it’s about to run out of length
  4. Dantes Inferno

Dantes Inferno Jake

Oddometer:
    The sound is definitely louder on the cam chain side
  5. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of heat for an air cooled engine. Best of luck. :becca
    Maybe post up in the West California thread for some help.
  6. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's a swap I make whenever possible. Good luck!
  7. Dantes Inferno

Dantes Inferno Jake

Oddometer:
    I had a local shop redo the valves. Set at 0.15mm which is the only reference we could we could find online. They were all very close some just a little tighter than that.

Scoped the piston, surface was clean. Had a leak down test and the mechanic said was good. Tons of conpression, you can stand on the Kickstarter at TDC and can’t push it down.

Starts first kick and pulls well to 120kph.

I didnt pull the cam chain tensioner off because I don’t have a replacement. But that would be the most logical next step is replace with a manual unit.

We must head north so hopefully it holds up.
  8. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get stuck, Airbnb is tons less expensive than hotels.
  9. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camchainnoise usually go away as revs increase, as the "load" puts some tension in the chain.
    Valvenoise increases with rpms.

The camchain and tensioner shouldnt suffer becasue of high heat, but just about every other thing in the top end will. Have a look at the valveclearences, take it from there.