Wilbers 640 rear shock for f8

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by costas68gr, Jun 13, 2012.

1. costas68gr

costas68gr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi i have find to buy a rear shock wilbers type 640 anybody have test it/install their bike any comment/feedback about this rear shock:norton:norton:norton
  2. costas68gr

costas68gr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bump!!! nobody have any experience about this shock!!
  3. ger74

ger74 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi i got the 641 because there was more adjustment on it.
    Its a little shorter than the standard so the bike is a little lower.
    The main difference is that you get more adjustment than standard and you find yourself going faster without noticing.
    I sent them the weights of all gear on the bike and the sag comes set perfectly for your weight. i have checked.
    They recommend lowering the front forks in the clamps to match the lower rear.
    The overall construction is lighter than stock and there is no guard over the piston rod to stop the dirt getting on it. It looks like the BMW guard would fit it if taken out of the stock shock.
    It looks like the BMW preload adjuster could be changed over to the Wilbers easy enough but the remote reservoir is in the way with the 641 shock.
    Overall it not a major performance difference over stock so far

[​IMG]
  4. costas68gr

costas68gr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you for the useful information the shock(640) is on the way
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks that is helpfull. This is the one I'm considering buying for the F800GS
  6. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to check what a little lower means. It may be the picture, but it looks to me that the shock is quite a bit shorter and at full preload.

A heavier weight spring compensates some, but generally what ever it is, the result on the bike will be about 3 times as much.
  7. ger74

ger74 n00b

Oddometer:
    there is only 3mm difference in the centre distance. Must be an angle on the picture. Preload is not full. There is 35 mm more left. The whole top shock body his threaded and there is no hydraulic preload adjuster so the gap above the spring looks big.
  8. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have this shock on the 650 twin. Mine is 5 mm longer than stock which raises the rear of the bike about 5/8 of an inch. This shock performs fantastic on rough roads, night and day difference from stock.

Only downside is remote reservoir is in the way when adjusting the preload. I didn't want hydraulic preload so I deal with it. If it had a longer hose you could put the reservoir where the charcoal canister is.
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats not so much, should result in about 7+mm lower in the rear. That sound about right? I have been using a ratio of 2.4 to 1 for my adjustments.
  10. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I believe when I was ordering the shock from Ted Porter he was saying the ratio was closer to 3 to 1 . The raise on my bike was prob. closer to 5/8 of an inch. ( I'll edit prev post on the 3/4" raise)