Wilbers Question (lighter rider, heavier springs)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by flashover604, Oct 10, 2019 at 5:54 PM.

1. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I’m looking at a 2010 1200 GS Adventure. One of the previous owners had Wilbers installed. He had it set for a 350# rider/gear and 150# passenger/gear with 100# luggage. (Passenger and Luggage 15% of the time.)

I’m 220# in gear and will rarely have 50-75# on the back. I plan on having the shocks sent to Beemer Shop eventually, but what can I expect riding it until then? Basically just riding everywhere with the ESA set to soft? This is my first big bike coming from a 640 Adventure that was set to a rider my weight. I don’t really know how the suspension being that still will affect the on road riding, cornering, stopping, etc..

Thanks in advance.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try it first. Most shock springs do not have the range he "set" it for, so you might find you are fine, especially if he well broke it in. If not, new springs are a couple hundred dollars.
  3. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. I’ll give it a shot!
  4. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Hi Flash

I called Ted Porter at Beemershop for advice with the same bike. He totally sorted me out with the correct spring rates. He is the agent for those shocks. Give him a call
  5. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is simple, it's the spring rate that matters. Your weight is a couple pounds or so more than mine. I have an 1150 with Olhins and a 1200 with Wilbers, both have a #150 rate spring on the rear. Solo only i could get away with #140, and have for a few months. Typically most aftermarket suspension on the rear of a GS are running #140 to #170. If you don't want to tackle the spring change yourself a competent suspension place will do it quickly and of course they can recommend the best rate # for you. :*sip*
  6. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    I would ride it for a few hundred miles on various roads and just mess with the ESA settings and see if it works for you. Start maybe with standard preload and Road and switch up and down on those modes, then adjust the preload and repeat.
    JimVonBaden likes this.