Wilbers shock on your F8GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mungus, Mar 31, 2012.

1. mungus

mungus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted a Wilbers shock to their F800GS? :ear

In OZ they sell their upmarket version (641) for $1,076 AUD. (less 10% right now)
    Unlike the Ohlins S46DR1/B it comes a remote reservoir and adjustable compression damping, both high and low speed.
    You can add the hydraulic pre load adjuster for another $335.

I know they have done BMW's for years and are German made etc. You can even get the springs colour matched to the bike! Certainly in features for money its way ahead of the Ohlins... (not anti Ohlins BTW - have bought them before).

But what I want to know is has anyone got one, if so whats it like? :norton
  2. Hicks

Hicks der Überluber

Oddometer:
    did you consider a new Tractive from TT?
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Indeed they look great, do you know anyone who got these?
  4. Hicks

Hicks der Überluber

Oddometer:
    yep... one local guy... has some "better" rear Tractive.

and just today the guys from TT returned from Tractive factory... it looks magnificient.

finally.. we got ESA for our bikes.. great! :)
  5. mungus

mungus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never heard of a "tractive" until now, thanks for posting it.

In OZ TT's pricing on the Ohlins S46DR1B is IMHO, a rip off ($1,700+ AUD). Its almost twice the RRP of the same shock in the USA! ($900 USD) And I've even seen them for $750 on discount. Go figure... But even through "Tractive" appear to be in bed with TT, l'll have a look at the "tractive" shocks now.

OK I just had a look at their website. ESA is a nice idea, especially for a race bike, being able to adjust preload etc on the fly. However I'm happy to take a few minutes to set my preload manually, as with the remote set up, its not difficult. I've no idea of the cost of this tractive system either, but If TT have anything to do with it it will probably be expensive, and its more than I need. All I want is a decent quality, plush riding, fully adjustable shock with easy pre-load adjustability. Not a bling bling fest and more electronics.

I have looked at Ohlins of course (I bought one for a Ducati 900SS and it was very nice indeed), but the model they have for the F8GS (S46DR1B), whilst much nicer out of the box, has equipment levels no better than standard. (No compression adjustment or reservoir etc). So I may even get a similar result to the Ohlins for way less $$ just getting a good spring and a good re-valve job. And I may just do that, depending on what Melbourne's shock guru reckons he can produce for me...

Failing that I am looking at either a Wilbers 641 or WP Fusion, with the remote pre-load adjusters.
  6. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    Had a look at the Tractive site and all looks very impressive but no pricing???? Hmmm? I have a feeling that this stuff is ultra pricey. Not to dog on the company (they look fantastic) but this is not real world adventure traveller stuff unless of course you have stacks of cash. My guess and its only a guess (no hating please) is that a guy can buy two shocks for the price of one of these set ups with the ESA.

Plus in my experience the more electronics on a bike = more potential problems out in the road.

Buy the Wilbers and be happy. I know two guys who ride there bikes hard both have Wilbers and they have been trouble free. Fingers crossed.
  7. mungus

mungus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. This is supposed to be an adventure touring bike. Electronics can (and do) fail, and I'm not keen on cramming the bike with spaghetti either. It just makes working on it or even cleaning it more complicated. When we go riding its usually with the same load for the whole day (if not the whole week, month etc). So setting the sag with a remote adjuster is no biggie. It takes me like 5 minutes max...

Simpler is better IMHO, unless you've got a damn good reason for it not not be. Unless you are just a "latte adventurer" whose more interested in cafe bling than off road usefulness/survivability etc (but then some BMW club owners I've met are just that). :moon

Like you BcDano, I also imagine it will cost a whole lot, especially being sold through Touratech...

Sometimes I wonder if TT are getting a bit big headed and thats being reflected in their prices. Just because its from TT doesn't mean its the best solution. Their stuff is not the only choice in the marketplace and sometimes in my view its not the best stuff available either. Don't get me wrong, I've bought some of their stuff for my F8GS, but in some areas I have chosen other products, and not always because of pricing either.
  8. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for the Wilburs on the F8, but I have them on my R1100GS and they transformed that bike from a wallowing pig into a stable pig (that bike is just plain heavy). When my wallet recovers from buying the F8, I am going to call Ted Porter and order a new Wilburs rear shock. I still haven't decided what I am going to do with the front end.
  9. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have installed the Wilbers on my F800 a few months ago and love it. Far better consistent traction. I ordered mine with the remote reservoir and adjustable compression damping. I love that i can easily adjust it when i'm fully loaded with camping gear or a big trip. I have also changed the front to a set of Bitabo and the combination seen to be working very well.
  10. mungus

mungus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys thats good to hear, it sounds like they are worth a closer look. :evil

I am also looking at the WP Fusion and the ELKA, but Wilbers has the advantage that the national agent is close to me and they seem to have an attachment to BMW bikes, so perhaps its easier for resale.

I also like that I can order a colour matched (lava orange) spring, should look very nice. The only issue for me now is can I mount the pre load adjuster somewhere safe and pretty. Some of them (like a WP Fusion I've seen) just hang out in the breeze... Its the only area where the OEM Sachs and the budget model Ohlins have an advantage, in that theirs is adjusted close to the shock body (ie out of the way and tidy).

Did you find the Wilbers gave you a nice plush ride? :ear
  11. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say a smoother ride. Most of my riding is done off road. Before the bike was all over the place on rough roads and accelerating out of corners it tend to jump. Now it is soooo smooth. It also means you have to watch your speed more.
  12. mungus

mungus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a Wilbers shock may be the way to go. :evil

The 641 with optional remote pre-load adjuster is around $1,270 AUD right now.
    Far better spec'd than the "budget" Ohlins and quite a bit cheaper than the ELKA or WP Fusions. Seems quite a few F8GS owners have bought them here. Now I've just gotta convince the wife...

All I need then is $2K to import and fit some Ohlins NIX cartridges for the forks. :shog
    (don't like the TTX's myself, as cool as their fork caps look).
  13. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody installed Wilbers on the front ? Would love to hear how they perform.
  14. Trippelke

Trippelke BMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the front suspension and I love it!
    It's very good for road riding and also if you have your girlfriend in the back.
  15. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. Do you do any off road riding. If so how do they perform. I have read that on other bikes they are very road orientated and can be a bit hard .
  16. Siam

Siam n00b

Oddometer:
    Have fitted the full spec Wilbers. Unfortunately on the first ride I was hit by a 4WD. Great service from the agent. Run Hyperpro progressive springs upfront.
  17. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    What are those like? The Hyperpro?
  18. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Super Moderator Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 641 on the rear and andreani cartridges in the front
    It's a total transformation
    You'll never regret it
    Richard
    jjjjjjay likes this.
  19. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
  20. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I've just decided to install the Wilbers 641 and Matris fork cartridges on my F800GSA. The suspension to me is the single biggest weakness on these bikes and I am hoping (well I am pretty sure after riding an F800 with the same setup) it will make a huge difference.

I think it will make the bike much safer and more stable especially if it can reduce the horrific nose dive from the forks under hard braking. The kit is on it's way and I am getting it installed with Suspensions R Us in Melbourne, those guys seem to know the bikes inside out. I'll report back once it's done if anyone is still interested in this setup.