Wilbers shock on your F8GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mungus, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I put the Wilbers ESA shock on my F800GSA in 2016 at 26k miles. Now 62k, including up and down Africa. It has worked very well.

If I did it again, I would likely think about the 641 to get more adjustability than the ESA (however, the ESA on the Wilbers works OK).

I've got the Ohlins cartridges in front.
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  2. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Yes I will loose the ESA function I believe which for me is not an issue as I don't use it anyway. Up and down Africa ? ! That sounds amazing, did you do a ride report ?
  3. Fearless Whetu

Oddometer:
    My GSA is getting the Wilbers shock and Matris forks cartridges this week so I will provide some feedback when I have it.

Man it is hard to find solid info on this set up.

This is how the Wilbers canister will be fitted. I am using Suspensions R Us in Melbourne and they are fantastic. They know all about the bike and seem to have it sussed. I would highly recommend them.

They order the shock with a longer hose on the canister so that the canister can be mounted on the pannier rack out of the way. It allows for more oil in the system which keeps things cooler as well.

They also make some changes to the internals for this bike when the order as well, I was seriously impressed with the level of knowledge they had.

I have taken the option of raising the bike by 20mm.

I am thinking of putting together a thread based solely on this as the info is all over the place.

IMG_2642.jpg
  4. Fearless Whetu

Oddometer:
    I will also be installing the best rest bolt. By far cheapest to buy direct from Best Rest.
  5. Part timer

Part timer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Fearless.. Helpful thread, how do you like your set up? I recently bottomed out my rear suspension and quickly ordered the best rest upgrade. Now I'm looking to upgrade the suspension as it does seem too soft like most others experience.

Thx
  6. Fearless Whetu

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the lack of reply but I don't come here often any more and for some reason there was no notification of your post.

Simply put it is the best money I have spent on any bike - ever.

It completely transforms the 800 without loosing the original "feel" of the bike which I love. I installed a Matris front cartridge system as well as the Wilbers 641 rear shock with the pre load adjuster. I have also installed a Scotts steering damper.

The bike is now far more stable and the chatter from the rear has gone. I have all but eliminated the front dive and the front is sublime, the harder and faster I ride it the better the system works. The rear bottomed a few times with panniers on but I adjusted the high speed compression two clicks (on advice from the installer) and even this issue is greatly reduced. The bike handles excellently in hard terrain and at high speed. On road it initially felt too tall ( I also got the 20mm travel extension) but this has settled with use and on road handling is much better now as well.

I fluffed around with springs and settings prior to doing this and wish I had just installed the system from day one. If I could find a way to improve the power out put of this bike I think it would be one of the best adv bikes out there. (Disclaimer, I already think that :lol3)
    IMG_2095.jpg
    WQFTruckster likes this.