Wild at Heart Crash Guards. trouble fitting

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by KLRscoob, Dec 4, 2010.

1. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a pair of the Wild at Hearts and the fit is quite bad. I had to really pry - force - try and bend them to fit properly. After a horrible install the 2 forward bars actually come into contact with the fairings. Has anyine else had this issue and is there a fix? Or is it a manufacturers problem and they should take care of it? I am a little disappointed in them thus far but I love them at the same time. Thanks in advance.
    -J
  2. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Try loosening all the bolts nuts, see where it sits at that point.
    where it is close or not you may be able to pull it away some & slowly tighten each bolt/nut to keep the distance off the fairing stuff.
    Mine is close that is their intention I believe opposite to other designs.
    Good Luck:wink:
  3. EasyJet_RC

EasyJet_RC Joyrider

Oddometer:

KLR Scoob,

I got the [email protected] bars on my F800. they are a very close fit (less than 5mm from the fairings on either side).

You have to get the get the spacers etc correctly placed to make it work ! it took me quite a while to get it sorted - but once on they fits well.

let me know if I can help with pics or the like.

Pete
  4. Xskydiver

Xskydiver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would agree with loosen everything and retighten. On mine I had to tighten all the left side in place before the right to get them lined up properly.
  5. AdvWolf

AdvWolf Wolfhaven Tree Farm

Oddometer:
    +1 or 2 - Keep everything loose before you crankit. I have one side that touches and the other has about the 5mm spacing. No worries though great kit. I have dumped the bike a few time in the mud and still good and stable. You will have to get use to taking them on and off sometimes, so I would also add a little grease to the inside thread to help keep them from siezing up in the mud, water crossings, and road whatever. Have fun!- I still think they are the best engineered crash bar on the market:clap.
  6. KLRscoob

Oddometer:
    Just spoke with Johan from wild at heart. Talk about service, he explained some options to fix the issue, I added a 5mm spacer between the front of the bars (at connection point below radiator) now have 3mm of clearance per side. Thanks Johan and Wild at Heart
  7. AdvWolf

AdvWolf Wolfhaven Tree Farm

Oddometer:

Did they send you the part or did you manufacture something yourself. More details please. Originally, I was thinking of putting a spacer of washers between, but never got back to it- just was more eager to test out the bars.
  8. johnparjr

johnparjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great that he gave you an Idea on how to fix it but shouldn't it have been right from the beginning. I wouldn't be very happy if the kit I bought wasn't right straight from the box.
  9. KLRscoob

Oddometer:
    I had to fabricate the spacer myself. I used a piece of 5mm aluminum stock and machined it to be the same shaoe as the bars. This is a small mishap with an easy fix. I own a retail store and sometimes things are manufactured incorrectly. It is easier for me to deal with it myself rather than harrasing the retailer or the distributer. I am very happy with the product now after this small detail was remedied.

10. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was never happy with the fit on my bike either but was told that it was just me. More people I spoke to found the same with the tight fit of the bars. Suggested a spacer or bend the bars out further but they did not want to do that as they stick out a long way already when fitted to the F650GS. Glad the spacer worked for you, my fairings had paint and grooves rubbed into them by the time I removed the bars.