1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    This has been at the back of my mind many times when riding solo through Kenilworth Forestry...as I have seen wild singular dogs in the bush.
    Pinched this off Facebook...
    [​IMG]
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  2. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is bloody frightening

nothing what a pump action shotgun with BB or SG,s cartridges would have fixed in less than a minute
    That's right we cant protect ourselves any more
    I hope the police went out there and sorted them out, bit of live shooting practice I say WHAT

I have a mate up on a station out of Ravenshoe, if he gets out of his Toejoe to fix a fence or what ever his rifle and/or pistol goes with him every where, huge wild dog problem
    Told me he can feel them watching him lots of times, baits ,shoots and traps but cant seem to get rid of them.
    After rain you see tracks every where.
    Wild dogs NOT dingoes
  3. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wake up call happened to me when I was riding solo in the high country. I stopped to chat with a fella grading the road when we got talking about wild dogs. Now I always thought I'd be be able to handle a pack of wild poodles and chihuahuas no problems but never considered a rottie. He reckons it was just sitting there staring at him. Huge bastard. He was in an open cab so quickly jumped out and went and sat in his car for a while.
    hunter_greyghost and Big Willy like this.
  4. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I had a bit of an incident in Barrington Tops ( NSW ) recently. Involved a very irate black brumby stallion that was very intimidating and I was in a spot where a quick U turn wasn't possible. I had to face him down.
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I still recall a ride in the forests out the back of Maroochydore somewhere with GWilli and (maybe Big Willy) where we came across a great dane dumped in the forest. It was young, scared, and starving, so I gave it a sandwich out of pity but being on the bikes we had to leave it. That dog could look you straight in the eye while you were standing, at least 5 tall feet at the head.

What sort of dumb cunt does this?

Also, we have some pretty feral fresian cows down this way, they don't seem scared of people at all.
    hunter_greyghost and Big Willy like this.
  6. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone knows Ford rangers are dogs, maybe they were trying to mate with it?

Ive camped alone in the high country, woken from the swag with snow on the ground to find dog tracks all around the swag and the car.
    Never been that fussed by them though.
    Hoots, Mouse and Big Willy like this.
  7. speedwobble2

speedwobble2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He won’t have his pistol for much longer as our misguided piceofshit government deem primary producers don’t need handguns.
    JeepDawg, shendo and felixblack1 like this.
  8. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    We were hassled by wild dogs at Big Billy Bore Camping Area in Big Desert, thankfully we had our dogs with us so they didn't come right into camp, talking to the Ranger there is he reckons they are a problem all through the forest there and the National Park.

Baz.
  9. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    redback
    my question to that ranger would be
    Why aren't you shooting the bastards

Godsilla
    I would have tried to kill it with a good stick, don't miss though /they can turn bloody savage when wounded

Someone is going to get savaged if something is not done about this problem

Same as every problem in this country the government just buries its head in the sand, bigger the problem the bigger the hole,
    GUTLESS C...s,, look at the Melbourne gang problem, bloody hell.
    shendo and Mungo like this.
  10. Mungo

Mungo Monarch 53

Oddometer:
    Couple of years back. Hunting Sambar. Early one morning sitting on a ridge, the bastards had me surrounded. Couldn't see them, but they were howling pretty good. Nerve racking to say the least. Glad I wasn't just bushwalking.
  11. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    Xylitol works on cats, dogs, skunks, coons (maybe, but you don't have these do you?), but not fast enough to avoid being badly bitten if attacked.
  12. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    had a few dog encounters around geehi campground and even more up near the dam

probably the same ones as they get around a bit
    x mongrel looking things
    City Gone Bad likes this.
  13. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What’s the solution for us as adventure riders to protect ourselves then .. ? as we can’t carry handguns ... I often wonder what we can do if in a situation say in a camp ground at night/day
    Scary stuff that’s for sure
  14. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    I carry a folding Shovel with a sharp edge - never had to use it but better than nothing, lots of dogs/packs back up in the Brindies again too !
    Often wonder how many people have 'disappeared' over the years - dogs / pigs / in Tassy - Devils [locals never leave dogs on chains outside]
    Being a bloke from the country area - never worried about it but years ago used to carry a semi-auto .22, not a big calibre but 15+ slugs slowed most things down !
    Could be worse - overseas, got a lot more big nasties that want eat ya !
    Cheers
    Baza
    City Gone Bad, Big Willy and Jabba600 like this.
  15. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    Coons aye?
    ktmgeoff, toecutta and Big Willy like this.
  16. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    No coons.. but possums. About the same size, they won't attack unless you threaten them.
    No skunks either.

Most of our wildlife will leave you alone if you do the same.
    Other than drop bears, some snakes, jelly fish, crocks, sharks, etc.

Capsicum spray would work ... but 'we' are not allowed to carry that. And they'd be very close ...
    A fire extinguisher would probably work.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  17. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler

Oddometer:
    Have a mate with you................and make sure you are faster than him!!!!!:D
  18. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    Kenilworth! ? Really?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    buckscreek likes this.
  19. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He'd have to be a pretty slow mate of your's Dave:shog:-)
    nk14zp likes this.
  20. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh,and I'll let Allison know you said that next time I see her:ksteve
    nk14zp likes this.