Wild Wild West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by freefallen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. freefallen

freefallen down with gravity

Oddometer:
    thanks!
  2. freefallen

Oddometer:
    The next stop was Zion National Park. I’ll be returning here in 3 months, the park deserves it. Zion is great for hiking but this visit I spent riding around and marveling at the scenery.

081.jpg

Here even the mountain structure is unique:

082.jpg

083.jpg

What are winding roads!

084.jpg

There are plenty of cars in the summer, especially RVs, but I was still able to find gaps to twist the throttle:

085.jpg

086.jpg

There are many creeks and rivers:

087.jpg

An ideal place for mountain climbers. By the way one of the roads was closed due to a rescue effort for a fallen climber.

088.jpg

089.jpg
  3. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the details. This looks like a fantastic ride. I know you had to stop often for the pictures. It is greatly appreciated by all reading this post I'm sure
  4. freefallen

Oddometer:
    The next park was Bryce National Park. They are close by, only 60 miles apart, but so different in appearance. Judge for yourself. No comments, just pictures.

Coming up to Bryce:

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

Bryce National Park:

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg
  5. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Bryce National Park:

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

Well, I like my bike too but not to this extent:

102.jpg

Wildlife started to appear:

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

The lodge was very pleasant where I spent many hours uploading my pictures:

106.jpg

This camp also didn't have a shower, grrr. Two days without bathing and 3 days without shaving. At night the temperature dropped below 40F and the bathrooms only had cold water. As I left between 5-6am I didn't have much desire to wash in ice cold water.

When I got there late at night, it was pitch black and I couldn't find my tent and I forgot the campsite number.
    The entrance to the site was self check-in and I had to leave $15 in an envelope. Since I didn't have any small bills, I decided to get change in the lodge and on my way back at 1am, I left the money.

I thought that the park employees removed my tent because I didn't pay the fee. My tent had my sleeping bag, mat, helmet and warm cloths.

107.jpg

The temperature dropped to 36F, I'm shivering. My caring neighbors offered me warm cloths and even a sleeping bag. To my shame I stopped a few dozen yards from my tent.

On the road to Monroe, UT:

108.jpg

After Bryce National Park my next stop was Monroe, UT. Nothing special but I read in National Geographic that there are excellent Natural Hot Springs. I decided that after 3 days crossing the country and visiting dozens of parks I deserved some R&R.

Again, nothing special and I could describe Monroe in a few words, but it looks like. I will need a separate post for it.
  6. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Sure, I had to stop very often, but this is so pleasure to see such scenery. It takes even much more time to choose pics and post-process them.
  7. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    :clap Excellent
  8. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for more!! Stunning Photos!! :clap
  9. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics! Thanks for posting.

One question: Did you just drain your oil into the dirt at the campground? :D
  10. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice RR and awesome pics.

thanks ff.
  11. BlackSCRunner

BlackSCRunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GREAT report and pictures! I think for those of us in the northeast it's sometimes hard to believe there are still places with so much open space. I MUST GO! Perhaps envy is the mother of action?
  12. defib

defib Portly Paranurse

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the west. I may of seen you at the standing on the corner in winslow. Your pics make me want to take even more day trips around here. Your report is making it difficult to decide my next ride into Utah ( moab or Zion, and bryce) . Be safe!
  13. freefallen

Oddometer:
    thank you all for kind words!
  14. freefallen

Oddometer:
  15. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

still even here there are many nice places to go.
    I rode to Canada for a week: Finger Lakes, 1,000 Islands, Montreal, Quebec.
    I rode to Bar Harbor, Maine, for about a week.
    I rode Blue Ridge, Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
    of course, many rides done to my neighboring Pennsylvania to the Poconos.

all of the above are just beautiful unforgettable roads.
  16. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Monroe - the little city is on the way to Salt Lake City, 180 miles away. There is a small problem however, I discovered that my back tire has become almost a square due to the highways and high speeds.

I may have made it all the way home but I'm picking up precious "cargo" in Salt Lake City tomorrow, my son. Early in the morning rather than continuing on my way I came back to the main lodge to look online for the nearest motorcycle shop. I found a few places but they didn't have a tire my size. They needed at least 1 day for delivery which I didn't have.

I changed my plans on the go and decided to go straight to Salt Lake 1 day earlier to change my tire, sleep and meet my son in the morning.

Now I'm passing
    Monroe and feeling hesitant because I will probably never return to this town again. I decided to make a quick detour to see such an authentic place and then return back to RT 89 just as fast.

The closer I got to
    Monroe the more I thought I had just wasted my time leaving the main road to see this run-down place.

110.jpg

Riding on the country road full of pot holes and loose gravel I arrived to my intended destination at the mystic hot springs. I got off my bike to look around.

111.jpg

Grateful dead indeed:

112.jpg

Hot Springs:

109.jpg

A young woman came up to me and asked how I was and where I'm going to. Turns out she was the co-owner of this place. I told her that I would stay at her camp but I'm in a hurry to Salt Lake to get my tire changed. She said that since I'm already here why shouldn't I soak myself in the healing natural springs, and asked for the size of my bike tire. She explained that there is an ATV shop in town and they may be able to help you out.

I looked at her, having already forgotten about my tire, and started to convince myself: Hmm, having not showered for 2 days, not shaven for 3 days and I'm still thinking about her offer?

I hope my wife doesn't read these lines but this trip can be ended right here right now :1drink

113.jpg
  17. freefallen

Oddometer:
    I settled in the hot springs, rich with calcium and thinking to myself, "life is good".

117.jpg

I didn't notice while taking the picture above that a guest was flying by with whom I had a photo session with in a moment. The dragonfly landed next to me and we both enjoyed the silence:

118.jpg

The mountain in the background is the source of this hot spring. The stream then splits: one end going to the bath tubs and the other fills the pool:

114.jpg

Fresh water is constantly flowing through the tub and draining below into a small pond:

115.jpg

It was a good idea to place a water mill but as is common in a rundown place it didn't work:

116.jpg

Even the dogs here turn red after taking a bath in the warm calcium rich water:

119.jpg

And here is the red headed owner of the red colored dog near the red colored pond with red hot spring:

120.jpg

The pool fed by the running hot spring:

121.jpg
  18. freefallen

Oddometer:
    After my soak, she gave me the address of the store which was 5 minutes away. I got there and they can change it but they didn't have my tire size. It's already 3 pm and I'm 3 hours away from Salt Lake.

They then told me that someone is coming back from Salt Lake and can bring a tire back by 6 pm, "is that OK with you?" they asked. "Of course" I told them cheerfully. I then returned to the hot springs and told her that she has convinced me to stay:wink:

The bath cost me $10 but the camp costs $20 which included unlimited baths. I added $10, pitched my tent and went to the restaurant "Little Wonder" which was highly recommended by my mechanic Jeff from the ATV "Sprockets".

The food was very good: soup, salad, and seafood. It cost me $6.43 including tax. And no, I'm not receiving any commission from National Geographic, Mystic Hot Springs, Sprockets or Little Wonder. I'm just lucky in finding nice people and places.

At 6:05 pm my tire had arrived. I comfortably settled down in the shop. I brought my camera, laptop and GPS to update, charge, and edit my photos:

123.jpg

Not even one hour had gone by and my bike was ready. Guys, you rock!!!

122.jpg

While they were changing my tire our block was closed off from both sides and was overrun by the local youth playing basketball:

124.jpg

There isn't anything special about today either, just another Thursday and people are partying. Perhaps this happens every evening. I love little places where folks live different lives and entertain themselves as they can.

Then I came to the camp and by the evening I remembered that tomorrow there will be two of us on a bike and the new tire should be pumped to 41 psi instead of 36.
    Right here in the camp I met a very nice person who introduced himself as a gypsy wagon traveler. Turned out he had a compressor. Amazing person who worked as a rescuer in the most remote wild places.

125.jpg

This place made my day!

19. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Today I picked up my precious cargo at Salt Lake Airport. And my son and I left for Ogden adventure town.

131.jpg

You need to understand that my son is 6'1". In addition to my stuff on the passenger seat, he brought 2 additional bags. After some clever packing, it was hard to look at our mountain of baggage without smirking.:brow

Ogden is a very lovely town with many serpentine mountain roads. Because I got up at 4 am to get to Salt Lake on time and my son had to get up even earlier, by the time we checked into our hotel at noon we just crashed and slept for a few hours.

After that we rode around on the local roads, it was indescribable.

132.jpg

223.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

View attachment 1960669

I originally picked out a specific route but doing it we ended up driving through the mountains and started taking turns as we saw fit. The roads were incredibly beautiful.

It got dark and the temperature quickly dropped. We were dressed very lightly and despite this we didn't want to return.

139.jpg

We ended the day in a nice and delicious Japanese restaurant:

140.jpg

After resting in Ogden, UT on the following morning we departed on our 310 mile road to Yellowstone.
  20. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Every time I post a new entry, I get this "The text that you have entered is too long (146697 characters). Please shorten it to 40000 characters long."

My text is not even close to that number but nevertheless, I always have to break my entries into smaller ones. Is it a bug? That doesn't bother me, just curious.:*sip*

138.jpg