Wild Wild West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by freefallen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. freefallen

freefallen down with gravity

Oddometer:
    The park is located on top of a super volcano which if it wakes up the whole world would feel it. One hypothesis of why the dinosaurs and 90% of all species died out was due to a series of super volcanoes. It will eventually wake up, the question is when. This is where the movie showed the beginning of the end of the world started on Dec 12, 2012.

Idaho, ID: Welcome to Idaho, short and sweet. Our source of potatoes.
    Montana, MO: Welcome to Montana, we cut a corner of it and immediately arrived in Wyoming.
    Wyoming, WY: Welcome to Wyoming.

Yellowstone National Park, WY:

141.jpg

I planned 10 top places not to be missed:
    1. Old Faithful Geyser and Upper Geyser Basin
    2. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
    3. Hayden Valley
    4. Mammoth Hot Springs
    5. Yellowstone Lake
    6. Norris Geyser Basin
    7. Lamar Valley
    8. Tower Fall
    9. Lower Geyser Basin / Fountain Paint Pots
    10. West Thumb Geyser Basin
  2. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Besides, I made a loop for our enjoyment:

129.jpg

We made a 300 mile loop and it didn't cease to amaze us. This park has five entrances, all of which I was able to see. The park isn't small, for example from the west to east entrance is 180 miles. The coolest entrance is from the east.

[​IMG]

Leaving the east entrance we entered the small town of Cody, WY which was a typical western town you would see in a movie. We went back into the north east entrance.
  3. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Again, it complained that my text was 92824 characters long and only 40000 characters are allowed.
    It was a very short post but I had to break it up to even smaller two posts. Mystery...:eek1
  4. freefallen

Oddometer:
    My 5-day backpacking in Grand Teton is over and I'll be posting new pics soon.
  5. freefallen

Oddometer:
    4 wanted:

220.jpg

We had some elk burgers and local beer and went on our way.

I don't understand why the Grand Prismatic Spring doesn't fall under the top 10 must see places because it was breathtaking. It's hard to believe that my hand didn't touch Photoshop.

Grand Prismatic Spring:

166.jpg

To see the spring from this angle we had to climb a mountain. Either the people don’t know about this or they are lazy to make the climb. The climb was very steep and dusty but the view was worth it:

167.jpg

159.jpg

What? I live here:

169.jpg
  6. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Elk:

148.jpg

Natural Jacuzzi. The water is totally clean but you would boil to death if you went in:

170.jpg

And of course Old Faithful Geyser:

177.jpg

It will erupt about every 90 minutes and the height of the boiling pillar of water can reach 150 ft.

The spectators came to view the show:

178.jpg

Continental Divide separates the watersheds that drain into the Pacific Ocean from those river systems that drain into the Atlantic Ocean:

180.jpg
  7. freefallen

Oddometer:
    How I've grown tired of you all:

183.jpg

Leave this old man alone:

213.jpg

Behold my priceless treasure:

214.jpg

On one hand it was hard to watch but on the other it was spectacular watching nature in its raw form. The eagle spent a long time chasing the poor bird but he eventually had a filling breakfast...

161.jpg

We even saw a grizzly:

215.jpg

I won't over do it with pictures but I had a massive amount of them from this park.

8. freefallen

Oddometer:
    The drive from Yellowstone NP to Grand Teton Park was short but nice-looking. The two parks are located very close to one another, they practically touch.

Nothing to say here, just pictures.

181.jpg

182.jpg

185.jpg

190.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

Amazing roads:

192.jpg

193.jpg

195.jpg

Grand Teton Park:

194.jpg
  9. orbiker

orbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only one picture of Grand Teton NP?
    Hopefully there is more to come. Grand Teton NP is one of those places that it is had to beat, as far as scenery goes.
  10. freefallen

Oddometer:
    you're right, the Grand Teton park is the most beautiful place among all other parks. I have ton pictures.

I just don't know if I should put them here since it was 5-day backpacking, not riding. and I saw the park, the wilderness like it can't be seen from a bike or car.
  11. orbiker

orbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on.
    Tease us a bit, with details and pics
  12. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  13. freefallen

Oddometer:
    I'm so tempting to put many pics here that it's very easy to convince me:trp
    This is my first RR on ADV and I afraid to violate the rules. S/b just stop me if I over-do it.

Countless lakes:

150.jpg

151.jpg

191.jpg
  14. freefallen

Oddometer:
    yes, pretty much!
    sure, it was very cool and mysterious but those rays don't look so dramatically. I played with the sand (very granulated, like flour). while my camera was on a tripod doing self-shutter, I was throwing the sand into the rays. it took me a few dozens tries to get a good shot.
  15. orbiker

orbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I want to know is:
    How could you go backpacking from your motorcycle?
    Did you have you packs shipped in?
    Where did you store the motorcycle?

I don't like to leave my Harley at a trailhead to go for a 1/2 mile hike. Plus where would I put all the riding gear.
    KEN
  16. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Teton Park is very beautiful, it was nominated as one of the most attractive places in America.
    Our friend landed in Jackson Hole, WY and we departed for a 5 day hike in Grand Teton.

Getting into Grand Teton Park:

224.jpg

That's a lot of horns:

225.jpg

My bike will be parked here for 5 long days waiting for my safe return:

226.jpg

Fresh and ready:

227.jpg

Beginning of our trail:

228.jpg

Ready, Set, Go:

229.jpg

If while in Yellowstone you see snow covered mounting tops in the distance, then most likely it is Grand Teton Park:

299.jpg

Our hiking route was slightly modified, turns out that 2 of the steep passes between the mountains were snowed over. This year they had a 300% snow fall and here we are in August and it’s still not fully melted, most likely will last till next winter. Without ice axes and a GPS they recommended we didn't go through the passes as all the trails are covered.

They warned us that the slopes are very steep and if you lose your footing and don’t anchor yourself within 3 seconds you can relax because you are about to start to freefall. In addition to that, we weren't ready to hike or sleep on snow. So rather than a 5 day circular hike we will have 5 hikes into different canyons. I don't think this will ruin our impression of the place.

It were so many rapid creeks and rivers on our way:

230.jpg

231.jpg
  17. freefallen

Oddometer:
    Ken,
    perhaps, my last posting will explain it. I just had the essentials on my bike: a tent, sleeping bag, mat... Friend of mine flew to Jackson Hole and brought the rest stuff. We rented a car and left it at a trailhead. it was cheaper than taking a cab from/to airport. besides, after the hike my son and friend stayed there one additional day, till saturday and I left on friday heading home for three days.
    and you're right, there are not so many bikes parked there, it was just mine.
  18. orbiker

orbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your side trip.
    I think you guys are carrying too big of a pack, but to each their own.
    I have backpacked in most of the Oregon Cascades, Yosemite, and The Olympic NP.
    My favorite time to camp is in the winter, traveling on cross-country skis. My second favorite is camping via motorcycle. I do more of motorcycle camping at the present time.
    Here is a free campsite I found just outside Mt Lassen NP.
    [​IMG]

More please
  19. freefallen

Oddometer:
    this is so great! traveling on cross-country skis?!!! mmmm. Being born and raised in Russia, I did a lot of cross-country skis and kinda miss it. now I do only downhill.

I believe that Oregon is the best state in regards of outdoor opportunities. it has everything: mountains, national forests, lakes, creeks, rivers, ocean......... so much!
  20. freefallen

Oddometer:
    More creeks:

232.jpg

233.jpg

The high rapid water is resulting of still melting snow in the mountains:

234.jpg

What's cooking, guys?

235.jpg

The bear containers where we kept our food and smelly stuff like toothbrushes, paste, toiletry things:

236.jpg

Early this morning a fellow ran past us with an extravagant outfit with a look of panic on his face:

237.jpg

He asked us if we had phone service, to our shock we did. A girl from his group fell and busted her head open. Fortunately in the neighboring camp there was a doctor who went to her aid. She was conscious and according to the doctor her condition wasn't life threatening but she needed medical attention.

Maybe it was a good idea we didn't stick with our original route?

238.jpg

239.jpg

240.jpg