WildKAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jakbrand, Jun 22, 2016.

1. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Ah, pay close attention to the wolfman gas tank panniers...I'll tell you how they play into this issue later in the report.

[​IMG]
  2. toolguy1

toolguy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So we get thru this little section and the trail splits........right goes on to the swinging bridge and a deep water crossing that we had no idea if we could even cross and left heads up a steep incline but appears to be a quicker way out. With Bert's venting problem he has blown out a significant amount of gas and is getting low plus this little adventure has taken us about an hour and a half complete. We decide to go left and still have some challenging terrain as we climb out and on up to a little two track road. At the top we stop for a breather and I overhear Jack telling Bert "According to the GPS we're not far from London, you ride on in and get gas and WE (referring to himself and me, Tooly) will go ride this red section backwards down to the swinging bridge and we'll meet you in London."..........To which I reply "We who?"......The toolman was ready for some relief, I had already put in a full day...........Sorry Jack..........
    yzmaico likes this.
  3. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    More photos from day 1

BlueLgthning..You should recognize this section as you had to ride it a number of times bringing emergency vehicles to the aid of your friend with the broken leg.

[​IMG]

More great riding

[​IMG]
    Huck369 likes this.
  4. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    I overhear Jack telling Bert "According to the GPS we're not far from London, you ride on in and get gas and WE (referring to himself and me, Tooly) will go ride this red section backwards down to the swinging bridge and we'll meet you in London."..........To which I reply "We who?"......The toolman was ready for some relief, I had already put in a full day...........Sorry Jack.........

Yeah, 10 hours in the saddle is about my limit on a ride like this..ready to rough it in London but where will we stay?
    Some dump I bet. Maybe a campground? Lets's just see what London has to offer us for our first night on the road.
  5. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Ride for day one...

[​IMG]
    Huck369 likes this.
  6. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Tooly logging the final miles of singletrack before London.

[​IMG]

199 miles total with ideal trail conditions and weather on Day 1. :dukegirl Time for dinner.

7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Once you cross that creek by the suspension bridge, you ride to the top of the ridge where there is a blacktop road that takes you to London.
    toolguy1 likes this.
  8. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Jeff, We never made it to the suspension bridge as we found a little slice of gravel road an took it towards London.
  9. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Jeff,

How did you determine which sections of Sheltowee Trace allowed motorized vehicles? :dunno
    Here's a snip from MVUM showing the motorcycle only section near London crossing highway 80. We rode the south side, but the trail seems to end on the north side of 80.

[​IMG]
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    The north side of 80 is a hiking trail only.
  11. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    JakBrand takes the lead and we follow him to this fleabag motel just outside the city limits of London.
    Needless to say, we slept good this night and ate across the street at Cracker Barrel.
    Staying at the a nice motel would not happen again as most times we were lucky to find a bed..More on those stories as the ride continues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    toolguy1 and Huck369 like this.
  12. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a list of the trail sections that are open to OHV's. http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/dbnf/recreation/ohv/?recid=39314&actid=93

Great report guys!
  13. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Big Dog Branch was the only confusing section on Day 1.

Jeff's suggested route is red line and the actual trail is the cyan line (the dashed line heading south is a dirt road). For some reason the two lines diverge at Big Dog Branch. The cyan line is a muddy overgrown trail along the creek that crosses the creek then climbs back to the red line. The trail is not obvious at Big Dog Branch, but it's well worth the effort to ride this section.
    Caution! Watch out for a ten foot waterfall where the red line cross Big Dog Branch. Tooly almost rode over the falls while he poked around for the red trail.

[​IMG]
    toolguy1 likes this.
  14. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
  15. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    "Tooly almost rode over the falls while he poked around for the red trail." I like to ride to the good stuff..........

And coming up out of the creek at that point was so much fun that I fell over, backed up and did it again..........WOOT!
    yzmaico, RozzyCat and EbarDP48 like this.
  16. Hog1450

Hog1450 I use the oil you hate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice trails! Looks like a great ride, on the list for sure!
  17. blrfjr

blrfjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure why but, the yellow txt is impossible to read on my Android/tapatalk and the videos are not working. It says "unsupported video"?
    Nice report though...subscribed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  18. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    I can't see the videos on my phone (android or apple) but I see them fine on my computer
  19. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    the yellow txt is impossible to read on my Android/tapatalk

Yellow text Changed to white
    jrsmall0221 likes this.
  20. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Dee Luxe digs in London and a nice dinner was the perfect reward for a long day in the saddle. The Hampton also treated us to a grand spread for breakfast the next morning and we took full advantage of it. We were all suited up and on the bikes at 7:30, headed for a sweet section of singletrack first thing. Life is good!
    RozzyCat likes this.