WildKAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jakbrand, Jun 22, 2016.

1. toolguy1

toolguy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QUOTE from JakBrand "In the spirit of first nation I adopted the tribe name Haardeese which means "running bowel"."

You're jumping ahead in the report..........that wasn't until the fifth day. :jack
  2. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Day 2..London to Beattyville

This would be another great day of riding.
    As Toolguy1 has already said, we started off with some great single track.

From the Tracks BlueLghtning sent, I knew we'd be running on a red track single trail first thing.
    And it was a great trail to start the day of with.

We missed the single track off 80 by a short distance and turned into the driveway of a gravel hauling company. A young man met us and asked if we were lost. We told him we were just looking for a motorcycle trail and that it looked to be just to the east of us off 80..He said he'd been looking for trails around here to ride for a few years but had not found any....Really, you can't find any trails to ride around here???
    We pulled back onto 80 and turned unto the trail only 100 yards from where we had that conversation.

[​IMG]

3. phoneman

phoneman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang it all. After seeing how good this ride turned out being invited but having to decline really sucks.
  4. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Phoneman, Just like in Colorado last year, your riding skills would have improved tremendously as the day drew to a close each night...
    You missede a good one
  5. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Great report guys! We did a rain shortened attempt last year. Too much rain, to big bikes.
  6. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    We were extremely lucky with the weather. It had been dry for a week prior to our arrival and during our whole trip we only had about 2 hours of light rain which was actually refreshing and wet down some of the dust there for a while. That being said there was still plenty of mud in sections, I guess those areas
    never dry out. I don't think we could have had picked a better time to go. Sometimes things just work out.
    yzmaico and mbabc like this.
  7. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Day 2 was a great day with a true dual sport mix of singletrack trails early in the day and an afternoon of twisties so tight you could see your own taillight. I've never been one to trust knobby tires in curvy pavement but as the confidence grew with the miles, I began to push it pretty hard. I ran a Pirelli Mid Hard Scorpion on the front and an IRC Vulcanduro on the rear, both at 14 psi, never had any drift or issues at any point. And no chicken strips was evidence as to just how much fun I was having..........Lol
    yzmaico likes this.
  8. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    It's a good day when you wake up early, don dirty moto gear and head out to ride singletrack.

[​IMG]

A few miles west of London, this section of Sheltowee trace appeared to be seldom ridden by motorcycles, but the trail is in excellent condition. There's no parking at the trailhead on Highway 80 so dual sport is your best option.

[​IMG]

Tooly crosses the first of many creeks on Day 2.

yzmaico likes this.
  9. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    KAT's red trails are best suited for enduro type bikes (WR250, KTM500, XR600, etc). This section of flowing singletrack had several tight switchbacks and downed trees that would challenge a bigger adventure bike (KTM 990, Super Tenere, etc).

[​IMG]

I hope Jeff can sniff out more trails like this one and add to KAT. :thumb
    yzmaico and ModalGuy like this.
  10. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Dry river road on the way to Livingston.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yzmaico, Huck369 and ModalGuy like this.
  11. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Jak.......reliving this thru the report is almost as fun as riding it...........:clap
    SCHMEEL and EbarDP48 like this.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I've got an area to the west of Mt Vernon that has some ST in it that I'm going to check out and see if it will be worth putting in.
    Huck369 likes this.
  13. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    ....almost. I'd like to ride KAT again!

[​IMG]
    Huck369 likes this.
  14. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Rockcastle River crossing near Livingston prompted Ebar to reconnoiter.

[​IMG]

Too deep for our team. We would have to find another route to the civil war battle site at Camp Wildcat.

ModalGuy likes this.
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    The shallow line is about 40 yards down stream.
    ModalGuy, i4bikes and toolguy1 like this.
  16. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    After Bert probed the depths of the deep water crossing we decided to take the bypass which brought us here.............

IMG_0223.JPG

Camp Wildcat.......I only got a couple of pics so I'll let the guys add to it from here............

IMG_0222.JPG
  17. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    More from "The Battle of Camp WildCat"

[​IMG]

ToolGuy1 and JakBrand check out the park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    JakBrand (Jack) in Blue pants:
    ToolGuy1 (Mark) in Tan pants:

Mark:
    So Jack...what you're saying is that You have found us another Hampton Inn to stay at tonight..Am I understanding you correctly?

Jack:
    Mark, I think I'll just reach in my toolpak right here, pull out my 10' X 10' tarp and "WE" can camp right here in this dried up riverbed.

Mark:

Who "WE" are you talking about Jack. I've still got daylight to burn and I'm headed to Beattyville.

[​IMG]

Ah, but a funny thing would happen on our way to Beattyville this day....

Someone placed a drill rig in the middle of our forest road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We backtracked back towards the pavement, trying to find a way down into the riverbed below.

This would be the only way to get through this section of the route.

Would we backtrack and re-route, or would we find a way through...

The plot thickens..

Stay tuned.
    ModalGuy likes this.
  19. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    But never fear, JakBrand was on it and determined to find a way around the obstacle. He looked on his GPS and noticed what looked like an old roadbed to the left and up a steep hill. He took off on foot up the hill in search of the old road while Bert and I tried to scout out something toward the creek but we found nothing. Twenty minutes has passed and we notice Jack walking up the creek bank. He has found a way around but we'll have to drop off about a 10 foot bank which seemed almost vertical and dodge a couple of trees on the way down. Now Jack is an accomplished trials rider so this is just a cake walk for him.............without hesitation he drops in and makes it look easy...........Bert is next, also no problem.......This kinda thing ain't exactly my cup of tea but I eased up to the edge and Geronimo I dropped in like a pro........The crew on the drill rig watched each of us knowing that surely they would get a good laugh if one of us crashed but luckily we disappointed them...........Just one more exciting moment on the KAT.............
    Kiharaikido, SCHMEEL, Huck369 and 2 others like this.
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report, looking forward to the rest of the KAT:lurk Looks like some great trial riding.