WildKAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jakbrand, Jun 22, 2016.

1. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Jeff we rode north below the trestle for a few minutes beside the creek. Looks like that may be a good route if you can find how it makes its way back to the pavement
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I already have a way around it but I'll check it out.
    EbarDP48 likes this.
  3. toolguy1

toolguy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember something about getting separated?...............Let's move on to that section..........Hard 4..............

This is a great section that starts out with a big really rocky uphill and that turns into overgrown singletrack that's really good. We climb on to the highest point and then begin our descent as the brush gets thicker around us.

The GPS's must be struggling to keep the track as we're getting varying readings as we come to a creek. Both Bert and I run our units in "track up" mode and are seeing the trail turn sharply back to the right, which is back uphill thru a very overgrown area. Jack was also apparently not getting an accurate reading at this point but we knew we had done something wrong. We stopped the engines and decided to backtrack up the hill to where we had seen a split in the trail and reassess our plan from there.

Jack makes a quick turnaround and heads out..........Bert gets into a bit of quicksand in the creek and is having some trouble turning around, he gets out and I turnaround and we head to catch up with Jack. Bert and I start down what we think is a wrong trail, turn around and come back to the original trail and head back to the meet point........or so we thought..........

It seems that what we thought was the wrong turn is the same turn that Jack took and kept going for a ways, stopped for a picture op and shut off his bike. Bert and I are now halfway back uphill to the trail split point and no Jack...........we shut off the engines to see if we can hear Jack's motor but nothing.............he's down in the bottom along the creek waiting to take pics of us as we come by.

We sit for about 10 minutes hoping Jack would return to this point to regroup. Maybe we should have waited longer but we decided to backtrack out of this section to the blue trail and ride around to the other end of this red trail knowing that Jack would have to come to this point one way or the other. It took us prolly 30-40 minutes of road riding to get to this point and "voila" there sits Jack waiting on us.

A series of mistakes were made here..........Jack made a turn without seeing the next rider before proceeding...........Bert and I didn't stay at the agreed meet point long enough as Jack did return to this point before finishing the trail. The good news was it all worked out..............

We press on now regrouped......
  4. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    I was preparing to tell everyone about our separation at Quicksand Creek but you beet me too it ToolGuy1.
    Here's the area we got separated. The Arrow represents the general area we got separated and the Blue track above is the route we backtracked and road clockwise to get to the other side of the red track.

[​IMG]

We all made some mistakes in this section. We should have gone back to the last place we were assembled together and waited.
    Both ToolGuy1 and I thought JakBrand had said he was heading uphill back to where the trail split and we would be taking that trail to the left.
    As we both got turned around in quicksand (literally) creek, Jack took off up the hill..or so we thought.
    In reality, he noticed that the track headed off along and across the creek and continued on the red trail.
    As ToolGuy1 mentioned, it looked to us like the track headed back uphill, which went along with what we thought JakBrand had indicated when he left so we continued back up the trail and then off onto the trail split to the left.
    We were soon into a very thick overgrowth and I knew that JakBrand could not have gone much further down this trail.
    This is where we stopped and listened for his engine for about 10 minutes....Nothing.
    As it turned out, his engine was off listening for us.
    We eventually backtracked and rode the Blue track CW to find JakBrand sitting where the Blue Track intersected the red track to our East..
    All was well in the world and we continued on
  5. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    We wind up for the night at a motel/restaurant kinda out in the middle of nowhere. The accommodations weren't 5 star, or 4 star for that matter.........Lol..........but comfortable and the food in the restaurant was primo! They even had brewskis! (a rarity on this ride with all the dry counties) After a nice dinner we washed layers of Kentucky mud off our bikes back behind the motel thanks to some of the friendly staff that loaned us a hose.

This must have been a local hotspot as they partied (or fought) till 2am and I listened to all of it. Lots of laughing, bumping, and banging goin' on........and this was a week night.........Lol

IMG_0249.JPG
  6. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Our accommodations for the night in Allen City Kentucky
    As a bonus, your room key fit every door in the place..:hmmmmm:confused
    From the front

[​IMG]

And overhead

[​IMG]
  7. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    After Pumpkin Hollow we headed south toward Nada Tunnel and Natural Bridge.

Ebar exiting Nada (pronounced nay-duh) Tunnel

[​IMG]

A quick lunch and a splash of gas in Slade and we're off to RR Trestle and Quicksand Creek.

BTW, Railroad Trestle has been officially deleted from KAT. :baldy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Confusion at Quicksand Creek was my fault. I jumped ahead without checking on my buddies. :nono

I was not too worried about Ebar and Tooly as I soloed the final red trail of the day. They are resourceful adventure riders and I knew they would eventually find themselves. :eek7

[​IMG]
    Huck369 and toolguy1 like this.
  9. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Plenty of blame to go around at Quicksand Creek my friend..........

It was getting late in the day and I was having flashbacks to Bull-n-Brown Trail in Colorado where I followed Bert 107 miles thru Hell on an advertised 20 mile run........what could possibly go wrong?............But that's a whole nother story.............:imaposer
  10. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Also at NADA Tunnel I found out just how little light a muddy KTM headlight puts out..........It was like holding a candle, all I could see was my front fender............Lol
  11. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Needless to say, we were boon companions after Quicksand Creek. :nod

[​IMG]

yzmaico and toolguy1 like this.
  12. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    WOW...How did I forget about Nada Tunnel.
    Maybe I was trying to forget it.
    You see as I entered the 900 foot long one way only tunnel, I assumed that my headlight would provide the illumination
    I needed and that my eyes would eventually adjust to the darkness.
    Neither happened.
    I rode by instincts without being able to see anything inside the tunnel with the exception of a dark wet floor with a very small lighted window at the far side.
    I would also come to learn that when riding a dirt bike into a tunnel, the first thing you should do is stop and wash off your headlight lens.
    As soon as I committed and entered the tunnel, I did notice one other thing...a set of headlights that moved up to the entrance on the other side and started into the tunnel.
    Not what I was expecting..
    [​IMG]

And not what I wanted to see.

[​IMG]

JakBrand would yell at them to hold up and I was able to ride out the other end to safety..
    You start thinking what you're going to do and you realize there will be nowhere to really move out of the way if someone's coming the other direction.

How do you spell relief?
    E-X-I-T-T-H-E-T-U-N-N-E-L

[​IMG]

About Nada Tunnel--------------

Nada Tunnel
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nada Tunnel

Portal of the Nada Tunnel in 1995
    Overview
    Operation
    Opened
    Owner Dana Lumber Company
    Technical
    Length
    900 feet (270 m)
    Tunnel clearance 13 feet (4.0 m)
    Nada Tunnel is a historic 900-foot (270 m) long tunnel along Kentucky Route 77 in Powell County, Kentucky, in the United States.[1][2] Formerly a railway tunnel, the presently paved tunnel has often been described as the "Gateway to Red River Gorge" for the shortcut it provides motorists to the Red River Gorge canyons of the Daniel Boone National Forest.[3][4]

Built for the Dana Lumber Company between 1910 and 1911,[5] Nada Tunnel (pronounced nay-duh by locals)[6] was named from Nada, Kentucky, then a logging town about 10 miles (16 km) past the tunnel's entrance.[7] Solid limestone was blasted with dynamite and dug out with steam machinery and hand tools, with two teams working from each side of the ridge.[8][9]

The tunnel's original dimensions were 12 by 12 feet (3.7 m × 3.7 m), but when the first train load of logs became stuck and had to be blasted free, the tunnel's height was increased to 13 feet (4.0 m).[10] Narrow gauge steam locomotives of the Big Woods, Red River & Lombard Railroad regularly hauled timber extracted from the vast forests of the Red River Valley through the tunnel, to a sawmill 15 miles (24 km) away in Clay City.[11][12]

Once the forests had been cleared, the timber companies pulled out of the area. The railroad tracks were removed and a dirt road was laid in the unlit tunnel in order to accommodate horse and pedestrian traffic.[13] Nada Tunnel has since been paved to carry a single lane of road traffic.

Nada Tunnel itself,[14] or rather the prehistoric Native American rock art sites Nada Tunnel 1 Petroglyphs and Nada Tunnel 2 contribute to the National Register of Historic Places listings in Powell County, Kentucky.[15]
    yzmaico likes this.
  13. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Notice in this pic that I have removed the jersey, now down to body armor, and making quite the splash in the creek to cool off. Yup, it was kinda hot in the afternoons mid-June on the Kat. But loving every minute of it! :clap
    upload_2016-6-27_10-47-51.png
    Huck369 likes this.
  14. wingam00

wingam00 Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer:
  15. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Day 4
    We washed our bikes the night before at the motel and grabbed a bite to eat before settling in.
    FYI..If you make it to Allen City Ky, you should stop in and try the Dessert Nachos.............

[​IMG]

Our next days ride would be our longest day in the saddle.
    I believe we logged over 250 miles if memory serves me correctly.
    Lots more pavement today than other days.
    But it was very cool pavement.
    Some of it was like this.

[​IMG]

And it would take us through lots of forests that just happened to be paved instead of dirt.

[​IMG]

From time to time we'd run into a road crew working at clearing debris from the side of the road like this.

[​IMG]

As we cleared the road crew and the road became twistier as we started to have some fun.
    You'll notice at the 2:15 mark in this video that all three of us almost ran out of real estate. It was at this point as we rounded the right hander that we found a section of the road had given way and left a large exposed hole down to the valley floor below....That is if we might have cleared the trees acting as guardrail.

Huck369 and yzmaico like this.
  16. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    You give someone more than they paid for one time and they never forget...:cromag:muutt:doh
    toolguy1 likes this.
  17. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Some might consider the eastern portion of KAT comparatively easy to the western side because of the long pavement sections.
    I say, if you think it's boring then you're not riding fast enough.

We trimmed down our knobbies on the twisty tarmac between Harold and Williamson.
    [​IMG]
    yzmaico and toolguy1 like this.
  18. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Taking an afternoon breather at Maggard's Cash Store we learned from the guy inside that it has been in business at this location for over 100 years.

Obviously, Ol' Man Maggard and Sam Walton had different visions of retailing or you would be shopping at MagMart instead of Walmart.

[​IMG]
    Huck369 likes this.
  19. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Breakfast today was at a Bob Evans Restaurant.........excellent sausage omelet with banana bread and lots of coffee is a great start to a long day. Here we pull over for a mid morning break and quick snack to keep the energy level up for what's ahead.............

IMG_0250.JPG
  20. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    More photos from Maggard"s Cash Store..102 years old to be exact.

[​IMG]

And this mans Pappaw built it....He lived to be 99

[​IMG]

Old freezer/refrigerator

[​IMG]

This is the same place they filmed scenes from Coal Miners Daughter.
    The owner pointed out in this photo that Tommy Lee Jones and Sissy Spacek were in the store (small photo on the shelf to the left).

[​IMG]

And this was the same scales he said with pride, used to cut the Bologna Sissy Spacek's character ordered in the movie.

[​IMG]

No longer do they sell gas

[​IMG]
    Huck369 and yzmaico like this.