WildKAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jakbrand, Jun 22, 2016.

1. toolguy1

toolguy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And my slightly different view of the old store which was actually in the movie Coal Miners Daughter................Some transient sits in the shade under the awning.........:lol3

We feasted on chips and pop........:1drink

IMG_0251.JPG
  2. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    As a matter of fact, where we stayed in Allen City the night before was only a few miles south from where Loretta Lynn was born and raised in Butcher Holler.

Birth, parents and siblings, and famous relatives[edit]
    [​IMG]
    Original childhood home of Loretta Lynn in Butcher Hollow, Kentucky
    Loretta Lynn was born and raised in Butcher Hollow, Van Lear, Kentucky, a mining community near Paintsville. Her mother was of Scots-Irish and Cherokee ancestry.

Loretta was the second of eight children. She was named after film star Loretta Young.[11] Ted Webb never got to see his daughter become famous, as he died in 1959 of Coalworker's pneumoconiosis (commonly known as Black lung or Black lung disease) before Loretta's first single, "I'm A Honky Tonk Girl", was released.

Besides Lynn's famous siblings and children that perform, Loretta is also related to country singer Patty Loveless. Loveless, born Patricia Ramey, is related to Lynn on her mother's side, as is Venus Ramey, Miss America 1944.

[​IMG]
  3. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    With Trump and Hillary dominating the election headlines you may have missed the race for Letcher County Coroner. According to the polls, Renee Campbell is the front runner. She's dedicated, honest and loves people. However, Perry Fowler of Whitesburg, Renee's main challenger, is running a cutthroat campaign.

I'm dying to find out who wins.

[​IMG]
    blrfjr likes this.
  4. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    From Maggard's Cash Store we ascended the highest point in Kentucky at Black Mountain then radiated ourselves at the Dome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After long rocky decent down Black Mountain we called it quits in Cumberland on Day 4.

[​IMG]

Huck369 and yzmaico like this.
  5. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    We'd find some great views in this part of the ride and it was the only day we had to outrun the rain.
    It rained on us as soon as I put my camera away in this photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    We pulled to the side of the road somewhere about 30 minutes before we made it to Cumberland Ky and tried to figure out where we'd be staying for the night.
    We had some red sections ahead of us and we wanted to be fresh and rested before we tackled them.
    We rode through Cumberland but did not find a motel.
    We'd almost made up our minds to ride on into Harlan and backtrack when we ran into this one.
    This is a photo from google maps street view and I can tell you this must have been during the busy season as there was nobody in the parking lot or in the office when we pulled in looking for a room.

[​IMG]

I guess we could have checked TripAdvisor first. Here's the one and only review on that site.
    Sometimes the adventure doesn't stop when the ride does as you find logging as you need it.

“Stay away...stay far far away”
    [​IMG]Reviewed November 4, 2014
    They make meth in the room beside you...there are needles everywhere and they linens are awful. Stay away from here...drive the 30 miles and stay in Harlan or somewhere else. The rooms are wall to wall and ceiling to floor tiles. Ewww!! We spent alot of time here because it was close to our jobsite...I only wish it wasn't. Stay...

Hey look Google has a couple reviews.

Reviews
    [​IMG]
    "Carpet is cigarette burn scarred."
    [​IMG]
    "Lighting is dim."

And here was a picture of our room...JakBrand and ToolGuy1 you want to take it from here?

Notice the tile on the walls? I'll let my riding partners fill you in on why this was such a unique room.

[​IMG]
    yzmaico likes this.
  7. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Dammit Man...........Jack had us staying in that?.....................:jack

Jack and I went into our room and the smoke alarm was "chirping" so Jack had to disassemble it to make it shut up.........and the lighting in the bathroom was almost cave like.....must have been a 15 watt bulb. And yes we had the ceramic floor tiles on the floor, walls and ceiling...........Bert's room had a trickle of hot water and no cold. That's the last time I let Jack pick the motel.....:lol3

The view of our deluxe digs............

IMG_0257.JPG
  8. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:

I turned the air conditioning so cold that the bed bugs went dormant.

We could have camped in the rain. :kumbaya
    toolguy1 likes this.
  9. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    A little more from the streetier side of todays route

Huck369 likes this.
  10. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    The panoramic views were great and the rocky climb to get up there was fun!

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG
    Huck369 and yzmaico like this.
  11. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    A quick shower and our hungry riders head into town for some grub. We spotted a Mexican Restaurant, El Charrito, which turned out to be the best choice we made that afternoon. The food was excellent and a friendly staff just topped off the dinner!

[​IMG]
  12. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    As ToolGuy1 has already mentioned. My room had no cold water
    and the hot water was but a trickle...Much like this symbol

[​IMG]

The motel clerk came by to check on us (or to see if we'd changed our minds) and I told him about the issue I was having with the water.
    He went into the bathroom, turned on the cold water and when none came out he said," The problem is your cold water is off"

Oh, I didn't know that as I just took a Steam Bath from a trickle of hot water, throwing it from one hand to the other to cool before I splashed it onto my body to get the soap off...

FYI..He didn't fix the problem, but he knew what the problem was..
    Thanks HotelMan

I wish the water had been this strong

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

yzmaico likes this.
  13. phoneman

phoneman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some things are just hard to live down. I know I'll never forget it. :-)
    EbarDP48 likes this.
  14. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Oh I get it now..The guy that came to check on us wasn't the hotel maintenance man..He was the cold water monitor man.

15. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    We'd wake up to find that no meth lab had blown up and we'd not rolled over onto any dirty needles lying in the midle of our bed in the middle of the night.
    We did find that the area was covered with a heavy fog the next morning.
    Undaunted, we loaded up and pressed on.

[​IMG]
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:

That's pretty common in that area.
  17. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:

Jeff, which do you mean....the meth lab, dirty needles or the fog?:scratch:lol3:amazon
  18. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    Here's our ride out of town

19. toolguy1

Oddometer:
    Headed for some good stuff early in the day today. :clap 70+ miles of Hard 5 were right around the corner and anticipation was high!

But first off we had to get Jack some Breakfast at Hardees. :lol3

He was soon to be reacquainted with his buns............

[​IMG]
  20. jakbrand

jakbrand trialatarian

Oddometer:
    Up early on foggy Day 5. I donned my filthy ride gear of which the odor was slightly nauseating.
    We ate a hearty breakfast at Hardees in anticipation of a big serving of red trails.
    I wolfed down two egg/sausage/cheese biscuits and large coffee :dukegirl then rolled out of sleepy Cumberland.

[​IMG]

The fog burned off by the time we reached the ridge road in Kentenia State forest and blessed us with a spectacular view.

[​IMG]