Will a K&N Air Filter Keep Mice Out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Guano11, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    A varmint gnawed his way into my OEM air filter (Lexus IS300).
    Not sure what, if anything, made its way through the intake tract, or how long the filter's been compromised -- but my thought is that a K&N replacement, with its oiled media sandwiched between mesh screens, would thwart subsequent attacks?

Wondering if anyone's had any similar experience? Google didn't reveal anything specific to the issue...for me, anyway.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know how they feel about oil, but they can sure gnaw through mesh - metal or not.

Actually, come to think of it, the last time I had a full scale incursion was in a truck with a K&N filter (full size Chevy with one of those large "drum" type filters); they built a full on condo in there with rooms for food storage, bedding, and a nice little restroom. Ugh. Maybe they actually LIKE the oil?
    SmittyBlackstone and Guano11 like this.
  3. Guano11

Oddometer:
    ^^ Aw geez. NOT the answer I was hoping for! Especially since I already bought the $85 filter....
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry - at least you'll have all those horsepower and fuel economy increases.

Just noticed your location, and that's not going to be a happy thought either as the little buggers got into our truck in the PNW as well. Sorry :(

I've heard mothballs in a mesh bag in the engine compartment help, as do scented dyer sheets stuck in there somehow - I've never tried either. I've only had - so far - the problem with that one truck, but my family (who live in a very woodsy kind of neighborhood near the Capitol Forest) have found nests in several cars over the years. Luckily the critters have just eaten air filters and engine bay insulation so far - no wiring problems ... yet....
    Guano11 likes this.
  5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have cobbed up mouse screens using 1/4 hardware cloth in front of various intake openings. Seems to work well enough at holding them at bay.
    Fleksta, flei, Arbolmano and 3 others like this.
  6. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Re-oil your K&N with peppermint oil. (only slightly kidding)

Use a combo of peppermint oil and mothballs to keep the rodents at bay. Along with a barrel trap in the garage.
    Guano11 likes this.
  7. Guano11

Oddometer:
    Well I was really hoping the K&N alone would be sufficient. :dirtdog

The Toyota parts guy mentioned the dryer sheets trick, but also heard that something called
    “apple bitters” worked, too. Sold at pet stores, it’s supposed to keep pets out of places they shouldn’t be in. Peppermint sounds like it smells better, though.

Car is parked under a 3/4 carport with a car cover. Technically it’s my go-to daily driver, but I commute almost all the time on motorcycle. Gets driven maybe once a week, often less. I’ve also found evidence of bug presence in the form of those little white web bundles tucked in a body panel seam on occasion.

Probably ought to drive it more. Maybe keep it uncovered. The thought of the wiring harness getting munched on makes me really nervous!

Appreciate the responses, fellas. :beer
  8. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Likewise.
    Tin snips, weatherstrip cement to attach.
    Guano11 and DonM like this.
  9. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    Guano11 likes this.
  10. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I've had more than one car come in with a noisy heater fan. Sometimes it's just normal debris in the impeller, but occasionally there's a mice nest. 1/4 mesh screen over the fresh air intake has stopped them. Once a year I recommend vacuuming it, as leaves, etc. can work their way onto it.
    shovelstrokeed and Guano11 like this.
  11. Guano11

Oddometer:
    ^^ That's a good tip.
    FWIW, I was surprised to learn K&N offered a cabin air filter for my car as well; I assume it's reusable, but I don't know if it's oiled media sandwiched between screens.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a rodent assortment that eats on our stuff. In my storage barn the pack rats build nests in any spot they can find on farm tractors, riding mowers, so on. In our driveway we have mice-house and deer mice, squirrels-red & grey, chipmunks galore and they eat stuff you'd never think they'd like. They have eaten most of the cold weather pkg battery insulation, which is probably used for nesting material. They eat wires. They eat filters. They use the engine intakes and covers for their dining area-acorns, buckeyes, daffodil and tulip bulbs.
    Moth balls, wintergreen oil, etc., is a waste of $$$ IMO. Cats(I hate cats), poison or traps all work.
    On the 4 Tundras I owned they loved to get up in the fresh air intake and build a nest against the cabin air filters. The would eat the filter material for nesting material and the obvious, but gradual way the mess became known was when the fresh air got meager and you couldn't see in a rain storm.
    Rat wire/hardware cloth generally stops them. Why vehicle engineers don't accept they exists is beyond me!
    Guano11 likes this.
  13. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guano11 likes this.
  14. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a mouse build a nest in my DR650's air box. The K&N air filter was intact and held the fiberglass nesting material out of the intake.
    Guano11 likes this.
  15. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have traps in my small shed. I make a mark on a wall for every one I trap. Since September '18, I've killed 82 mice, 3 chipmunks and a rat. They eat the D-Con poison, too. Haven't had a nest in a machine in a while.

I have added 1/4 hardware cloth to some openings to my foundation but I think that has been counterproductive. It also keeps snakes out who help keep the mice at bay.

I should check my wife's motorcycle for 4 legged squatters. Her cancer didn't let her ride this year, so it hasn't moved in months.
    Guano11 likes this.
  16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
  17. Guano11

Oddometer:
    Crimony. You could make a horror film featuring those varmints.
    Regarding cats....reminds me of that children's book where mice were infesting a castle, eating the king's cheese. So he gets some cats. Then he's overrun with cats. So he gets some dogs....
  18. Guano11

Oddometer:
    kantuckid likes this.
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a cat show up and deliver her litter in my barn a couple years back. I called the local dog & cat pound and was told they'ed come and get it if I caught it. They'd then feed it, have it checked out for health issues then "repatriate" the whole bunch to my property as found. Said it was their policy with feral cats. It moved on on it's own.
  20. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Yep, a screen of 1/4 metal mesh on the airbox intake and heater intake if you can get to it. A friend was told about Critter Ridder to curb the bastages from getting under his mobile home. Gonna try that one out and see how it works. The dryer sheet trick was turned into a rat bed when I tried that one. We leave our hoods open anymore at night which also works.
    Guano11 likes this.