1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

[Will be] New to Northeast Texas

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Steez, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Steez

Steez Prior USMC Infantry

Oddometer:
    Good Evening Gents/Ladies,

I'm deploying to Afghanistan in the coming months, and after that I will begin college in Longview (the school is LeTourneau University). Currently I'm on a Honda 919, but I plan on selling it to pick up a KTM 640ADV.

When I visited the area, the roads looked rather, err...boring. Just curious, how is the dualsporting in the area? How would a 640 handle the terrain?

Thank you! I searched, but couldn't find anything.
    :beer
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I'll just bet that 640 will do just fine in TX! Bless you for your time and courage and be SAFE over there! Hurry back!
  3. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some decent off-road parks out thataway. Most land in Texas is private in these parts. Not 'till you get out in west Texas is there a lot of public land.

Keep in mind that Big Bend/west Texas is 500 miles from you. :D

There's also a bunch of DS just a hop-n-skip north across the border in SE OK. Very good DS.

I tell ya what, though - if I lived in east Texas, I'd have my legs wrapped around a sportbike in Arkansas every other weekend. Simply erection-inducing sport riding in those parts.
  4. Steez

Oddometer:
    Meh, I'm trying to get out of sport riding, haha

Yeah, that 640 sounds like it will fit the bill :deal

Thanks DrLewall. That means bunches
  5. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Texas. You will find some nice roads in East Texas. The best stuff is in West Texas, good ways away for well worth it. Enjoy our great state and thanks for your service to our country. Texans have a deep respect for those who serve this country.
  6. ddye

ddye Freakishly Inconsistant

Oddometer:
    When riding with Brad in Arkansas always follow - never lead

BWAH :lol3:lol3:lol3
  7. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    No way I could lead if F1, Albie, BJ, or WheeLee were in the group. Best I could hope to do is stay in the same county and catch them at the next stop. :shog
  8. Texson

Texson Dirty Spur

Oddometer:
    Check out the East Texas Motorcycle Riders Forum. Getting quite a few dual sport rides there.
  9. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I graduated* from LeTourneau and worked for the other LeTourneau! Decent school; I enjoyed my time there.

I'd keep to the 919. There are not a lot of opportunities for dual-sporting in east Texas. Arkansas is not too far away, but to go there and back in one trip is a full day of riding and a good amount of slab as well. The 919 would be great for the backroads in east Texas (which you may not have seen much of while visiting LeTourneau). There are some nice 1-3 hour loops that you can take from Longview that are very nice and low-traffic.

My wife would love to move back to Longview (from Dallas) so that she can teach aviation classes and give flight instruction at LeTourneau. I'd love to go back for the riding (compared to Dallas), but I have a good job that keeps me in the metroplex for the time being.

*2008 LeTourneau University graduate (school of education); B.S., interdisciplinary studies: aeronautical science (professional flight), math, computer science
  10. Steez

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys. I've decided that I am getting out of the sport bike scene when I return. For various reasons, I just want something new!

drcoopster, I cannot wait to begin school there! I'm going to study flight sciences! I'm so excited, haha. The only bad thing is that I'll be starting in Fall of 2010. Quite a ways away...
  11. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have any questions about the Flight Science program there, send me a PM--my wife was is Flight Science graduate from there and I also started in that program (but decided to pass on the A&P license).